They were on Canal street just before getting to Broad Marsh as if you were coming from London road,I had to ride the old butchers bike from the garage where I was apprentice either taking vehicle starter motors or dynamo's for rewind or repair (you could get all sorts of things repaired in them days) before we lapsed into a throw away society,inside was workbenches with all sorts of motors in the process of being repaired, I always had a walk round there while waiting for my parts to be ready,anyone else use/remember them?

Rog

• Like 1

I only remember one of the "experts" name,well nickname and that was Nello,He knew everything there was to know about dynamo's and motors, I am going back to 1968 now

Rog

Phil,the name Geoff Pike certainly does ring a bell,,they were the days when you could repair things instead of replacing it, we were recycling motor parts years ago,re lining brake shoes and clutch plates, re jetting carbs,re grinding valves,hardly anything went to waste,

Rog

The king pin of midland magneto was cliff he organised everything  nello was indeed starter motor dynamo and magneto expert  Geoff Pike dabbled in model aircraft radio control I still have a picture of him in an old model flying book  I remember seeing an open top sports car of around 1930 vintage in there  electric power all on old milk float batteries  I raced a bsa goldstar at the time early sixties and it had a persistent misfire and nello got brassed off with me keep bringing the mag in every dinner time to be tested only to find nothing wrong with it  we wont see firms like that anymore

• Like 2

Good picture CT, the railway line GCR heading towards weekday cross on the right and you can just see a bit of Broad marsh bus station behind the lines top left, I think on the side of one of the two white buildings in the middle of the picture was written "Rooms 6d a night" or similar, I might be wrong on the building but it was certainly that area

Rog

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...