The King George on Horseback and The Woodman

After he was discharged from the army, my 2nd great-grandfather, Cornelius Pickering Wright (1816-1875) worked briefly at "The King George on Horseback" Pub on Woolpack Lane, before working as a bricklayer, later on the railway, and finally at "The Woodman" pub, on Red Lion St. I wonder if anyone has an old photo of either pub which are likely no longer in existence?

• 2 weeks later...

Neil Carver, who posted this question, hasn't logged in again since posting it so he may never see this explanation. However, it might be of interest to a few others, so here goes.........

On 12/8/2017 at 10:12 PM, Neil Carver said:

After he was discharged from the army, my 2nd great-grandfather, Cornelius Pickering Wright (1816-1875) worked briefly at "The King George on Horseback" Pub on Woolpack Lane, 

It wasn't quite on Woolpack Lane, it was on King Street which was off Woolpack Lane (the road across the top).

4bsLnKo.jpg?3

It was also very close to the 'King of the French' pub which already has its own thread here

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/10970-king-of-the-french-pub-nottingham/?

On 12/8/2017 at 10:12 PM, Neil Carver said:

and finally at "The Woodman" pub, on Red Lion St. I wonder if anyone has an old photo of either pub which are likely no longer in existence?

Surprisingly, the Woodman survived as a pub for a long time. This is the 1950s and in the hi-res version you can read the name on the end wall. And Cornelius Wright was working there a long time before the railway viaduct appeared. The road going off to the right is Cliff Road (formerly Red Lion Street).

DjjOCUn.jpg?1

Even more amazing is that the building is still there today, as offices under the shadow of Broad Marsh.

X7WYyF4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

King George On Horseback appeared to be a meeting place for protesting framework knitters in the 1840s .

Also had the distinction of being one of 7 library pubs in the City . It housed approx 1000 volumes . 

A number of references describe the pub as being within "Gregory's Buildings" , Woolpack Lane .The pub closed Jan.5th 1915 mainly due to sanitary conditions !

......., to call a public meeting of all branches of frame-workknitters, which took place at the King George on Horseback, Gregory’s Buildings, on Monday last. The room was crowded to excess, and in addition to the Nottingham hands, there some from other......
05 February 1847 - Nottingham Review and 
  • 1 year later...