When we were very young, our mothers, and I suppose mothers of today, often referred to things in a baby-talk fashion.  I have raised this thread for members to add those that they remember. I will start the ball rolling:

Railway engine = chuff-chuff

bum = moon

Teggies.... Teeth.  Chucky Egg...... Egg.

Funny I just thought of something like that when I got back from my trike ride, took me cycling shoes off and put on my slippers, thought what my first wife used to say to our kids when doing that, "come on lets put your pippers on"

Rog

So has mine. Teggies, and Chucky egg.

I didn't really use special baby words when our 3 were little... However, I sometimes put a 'y' on the end of certain words....  horsey, doggy, piggy,  mousie, sweetie.   Just remembered I did say 'bunny' instead of rabbit.  Some words we still use like 'poo' , 'wee' and tummy so can they still be classed as baby words, I wonder...

I hate to see so called intelligent and responsible people drooling over babies, and twiddling their lips, and going Boo, Boo, Boo, and other ridiculous noises. It must scare the bu66ers almost to death.

• Like 1

I use those three regularly Margie. Does that mean I'm childish ? I hope not !

You started a new topic TWICE  at the same time this morning, Chulla!  I've just scrolled down in the 'activity' and there are 2 topics called Baby Talk started by you  this morning - one has 7 replies, the other has 9 replies!

17 minutes ago, MargieH said:

You started a new topic TWICE  at the same time this morning, Chulla!  I've just scrolled down in the 'activity' and there are 2 topics called Baby Talk started by you  this morning - one has 7 replies, the other has 9 replies!

I posted the new thread, and on checking the Activity list it was not there. I sent it again and this time it appeared, but only once in the actual thread, even though it is shown twice in the Activity listing. Perhaps Cliff Ton or katyjay can join them into one thread.

1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

I hate to see so called intelligent and responsible people drooling over babies, and twiddling their lips, and going Boo, Boo, Boo, and other ridiculous noises. It must scare the bu66ers almost to death.

Can’t agree more. Best to start them off talking English - if they are English of course!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Don't know about baby talk, but I do hear folk having quite long conversations with their dogs "Come on Tyson don't go in the mud you'll get it all over the carpet" "Tyson stop doing that, I'm not having you lick me after licking them, dirty boy" as if the barmy dog knows what your saying! :crazy:

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

In our house when I was an infant a horse was Dobbin and a scarecrow was odmedod, although that's a hedgehog. That was the only baby talk allowed because they appeared in our story books and I persisted with them.

I had a book about Mr Odmedod (? spelling) but he was a man with a sack who would grab children if they went out of the garden gate!  I suppose it was a book about 'stranger danger'   When I was very little, I  certainly wouldn't have gone out of our gate alone after reading that!  

Although some disparage 'baby talk' most of us grew up with it and it looks to me like most of you lot ave turned out alright in spite of it.  ;)

• Like 3