Always loved Maps,and to this end was googling and came across ''As the Crow flies''.................did you know that Nottingham is only 52 miles from the Sea ?

Also Loppy is 4136 miles from Bulwell........lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I didn't know Nottingham was that close to the sea.  Of course fifty odd miles seems like a long way when your on your way to Skeggy as a kid.

I'm really not that far from Bulwell then. ;). I'm 2500 miles from my kids.  5000 mile round trip.  I've driven it several times, but I'm afraid it doesn't hold much attraction for me anymore.  500 miles a day for five days+ different motel every night gets old pretty quick.

benj, Not sure which is the closest sea to Notts, had a quick look and the North Sea and Boston could be it? What d'ya think Miduck?

47miles from Wolvo to Nottm as the crow flies or 60 miles by road. Travel time is  estimated at 1 hour and 22 mins. Plus the extra few miles to our home. It usually takes us about 1hr 30/45 mins, because we don't drive fast. Seen to many near misses over the years travelling back and forth to be in a hurry.

• Like 1

The furthest ive drove in one day was Glasgow...........232 miles as the crow flies.........nearly 300 by road

Round trips of 300 to 400 miles were a regular occurrence while I was working - Plymouth, Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow, Brighton, and so on.

But the longest "leisure" trips were taking the caravan up to Fort William. 400 miles, which took about ten hours.

Once did New Yok to Boston in less than twenty minutes!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rob.L said:

Once did New Yok to Boston in less than twenty minutes!

Linconshire I presume ...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

^^^^^^^^^^^What where you hanging around for Rob or were you on a push bike...... yep your sussed.smile2

Worst days driving I ever did was Nottm to Edinburgh shooting centre across to Glasgow to a gun shop, down the M6 to Manchester shooting centre, then across to Sheffield shooting centre and finally back in to Nottm, totally and utterly buggered that day.

9 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Always loved Maps,and to this end was googling and came across ''As the Crow flies''.................did you know that Nottingham is only 52 miles from the Sea ?

Also Loppy is 4136 miles from Bulwell........lol

I am 10,134 miles from Nottingham and it is fine, sunny and 38 degrees

Ben, 52 miles from the sea, that would be The Wash wouldn't it?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

As a young cyclist I set a new record Nottingham/Lincoln/Nottingham, only for it to be beaten minutes later by a fellow club rider. He would not have beaten me if I had not run over a bottle that caused a puncture. 

Although I moved 50 miles from Nottingham I now live much closer to the Trent but further from the sea.

I used to have an old aunt live in a village called Malpas near the Cheshire/ Wales border. It was 92 miles door to door and 

I always had a wish to do it in two hours but never did. I tried several routes but whichever way I went I got held up, too many country lanes on the way. Nevertheless it was a nice little village and a pleasure to visit.

Like the American tourists back in the '70s

who had a hire car at London Gatwick airport & drove straight to Cornwall. Complained like hell when they eventually returned the car saying it would only do 60mph flat out & kept over heating all the time.

Only used first & second gear !  smile2

• Like 1