60's wireless memories

Laying in bed awake this morning, mind full of the rubbish that keeps you awake, a couple of things from the past came to mind. There was a radio programme regarding helping the police, which finished with asking the public to call Whitehall 1-2-1-2 if you have any information. That number has always stuck in my memory. Also there was an Ad for Horace Batchelor, something to do with gambling, and the Infra-draw system to help you pick teams for the football pools. His address was in everyone's mind, Keynsham, that's spelt K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M, Bristol. I'm sure there are other ads etc that come to mind?

• Like 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember “Have a Go!”, with Wilfred Pickles and Mable at the table, but I’m not sure if it was a programme in its own right or part of another programme like “Worker’s Playtime”.   (Hope I

Saturday morning, stayed in bed until 12.00.  Children's favourites, with 'Uncle Mac', followed by Brian Matthews', 'Saturday Club'.   Sundays, after lunch and Family Favourites, the 'Billy

I think that place has been mentioned on here somewhere before. This is the location in its later years.

• 2 months later...

In the late sixties there was a programme on Radio Nottingham called Seen/Scene Around and they played tracks from local bands.  Anyone remember it?

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday morning, stayed in bed until 12.00.  Children's favourites, with 'Uncle Mac', followed by Brian Matthews', 'Saturday Club'.

Sundays, after lunch and Family Favourites, the 'Billy Cotton Bandshow'  followed by a heap of comedy programmes which included the following favourites over the years:

The Navy Lark

Round the Horne/Beyond Our Ken

It's I'm Sorry, I'll read That Again

Al Read

Ken Dodd

Then the compulsive listening to the Top 20...

Later, jazz Club - as long as they featured Chris Barber (still playing - 88 next month!), Kenny Ball, Acker Bilk, Terry Lightfoot, The Temperance Seven and other traditional bands. 

The days when you could actually listen to the radio for entertainment.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Always remember, 'Journey into space'. I remember the characters were , Doc, Mitch and Lemmy.  I think that was Alfie Bass.  Can't remember much of the plots now but me and me dad used to listen every week.  May have been the 50s though.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Socram said:

The Navy Lark

Round the Horne/Beyond Our Ken

It's I'm Sorry, I'll read That Again

From a time when radio was worth listening to.

It's amazing how sayings and characters from these shows stick in your mind even after 50 years.

HMS Troutbridge, Lefthand down a bit. Rambling Sid Rumpo, J. Peasmold Gruntfuttock and the camp Julian and Sandy and not forgetting Angus Prune.

- - - and Celia Molestrangler & Binky Huckaback (Betty Marsden & Hugh Paddick).

Then there was Hancock's Half Hour, 2 way (and three-way and sometimes four-way) Family Favourites with Jean Metcalfe (married to Cliff MIchelmore)

I remember “Have a Go!”, with Wilfred Pickles and Mable at the table, but I’m not sure if it was a programme in its own right or part of another programme like “Worker’s Playtime”.

(Hope I’m not going to cause any arguments with that apostrophe!)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, AfferGorritt said:

I remember “Have a Go!”, with Wilfred Pickles and Mable at the table, but I’m not sure if it was a programme in its own right or part of another programme like “Worker’s Playtime”.

(Hope I’m not going to cause any arguments with that apostrophe!)

I believe "Have a Go" was a programme in it's own right see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_A_Go

I used to listen to it occasionally but never really got into it.

Violet Carson aka Ena Sharples from Coronation Street played the piano on the show for six years.

• Like 1

Didn't Wilfred say, What's on the table, Mabel? And she'd go through the items, nothing worth much really. But folks would love to win anything however small in those days.

• Like 2

Mr Google just helped me out, it was only money on the table, contestants answered questions ranging in worth of half a crown to a guinea. I do remember the theme song, Have a go, Joe, come on and have a go.

• Like 2

Have we had this from 'Hancock' ?

Sunday Afternoon at Home [5.14]

Griselda Pugh: Ooh look! It's started raining!
Hancock: That's all we wanted. You watch, it'll go dark in a minute, we'll have to switch the lights on. I think I'll go to bed.
Griselda Pugh: [reproachfully] You've only been up an hour...
Hancock: That is by the way and nothing to do with it. I might just as well be in bed, there's nothing else to do. I wish I hadn't got up now. Your dinner wasn't worth getting up for, I'll tell you that for a start!
Griselda Pugh: Well I don't know, I ate all mine.
Hancock: That is neither here nor there. You also ate Bill's, and Sid's, and mine! I thought my mother was a bad cook but at least her gravy used to move about. Yours just sort of lies there and sets.
Griselda Pugh: That's the goodness in it!
Hancock: That's the half a pound of flour you put in it!
  • Like 2

Just thought of Arthur English on Workers playtime.  "Play the music, open the cage." Was his line.  Tended to act like a spiv.

Then there was Cyril Fletcher with his 'odd odes.'  A bit like some of the poetry we read on here sometimes.  :biggrin:

I often listened to workers playtime when home from school for lunch.  Probably learnt more from them than I did in school.