60's wireless memories

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember “Have a Go!”, with Wilfred Pickles and Mable at the table, but I’m not sure if it was a programme in its own right or part of another programme like “Worker’s Playtime”.   (Hope I

Saturday morning, stayed in bed until 12.00.  Children's favourites, with 'Uncle Mac', followed by Brian Matthews', 'Saturday Club'.   Sundays, after lunch and Family Favourites, the 'Billy

I think that place has been mentioned on here somewhere before. This is the location in its later years.

Had a friend, Robert crooks, lived on Sherwood villas, who was mad into electronic stuff. Sure he used to read it, he used to buy his stuff from the wireless shop in between the Clinton arm's and the YMCA, don't know the name of it. It was over 50yrs ago!!

My dad used to buy 'Practical Wireless' I don't recall that he ever tried to build any of the projects but it was interesting reading.  I seem to remember a Practical TV magazine too.  I doubt many were building Tellys back in the day though.

Edited to add.    It may have been 'university Wireless', Waddo.  I know it has been mentioned on here before.

Yes, it was University Radio Stores between the Clinton Arms & the YMCA.

I used to take Practical Wireless but found Practical Electronics (a later offshoot of the former mag) nearer to my interests. I did build a number of the projects detailed in the publication.

Nice one, thanks for that. Wonder what became of Robert Crooks, I would have thought that with his knowledge of those sort of things, he would have made something of himself. Maybe he or a member will let me know!!

19 minutes ago, jonab said:

Yes, it was University Radio Stores between the Clinton Arms & the YMCA.

I think that place has been mentioned on here somewhere before. This is the location in its later years.

iV2BKOg.jpg?1

• Like 3

University Radio Stores was (from the left) the white single fronted shop with the posters in the window. Was that a chip shop the other side of the entry?

I like the 'travel security' guarantees free service abroad!!! Mmm, wonder what countries that covered?.

I used to have Practical Wireless in the 60's/70's, still got most of them up in the loft, SWMBO wants to throw them away but I won't let her. I was wanting to make a radio with a synchronous AM detector instead of the usual diode detector (PW told you how to do it) as it was supposed to be less prone to selective fading (when the carrier fades further than the sidebands causing the sidebands to heterodyne with themselves instead of the carrier so causing a screeching racket) that  Radio Luxembourg & other skywave stations suffered from. But I never got round to it so had to put up with the selective fading..

I seem to remember Mondays at school, that between us, we could just about put together Round the Horne!

Nothing however, could ever equal the Goon Show, which was probably as much a 1950's as a 1960's programme.

Probably also 1950's rather than 60s, was 'Smokey Mountain Jamboree' a genuine Country & Western programme, complete with the occasional yodel.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Watched the Coronation on a telly like the one on the right,  thought it was marvellous. First time I'd ever watched television, it was at an aunt's house. Was 4 more years till we got our own.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

I have read what we had on our radio and I don't think that I have missed it, but one of the longest running soap doe's not seem to get a mention

"The Archers" must be the longest soap going if not the longest very close to it.

"Tin Tin and Snowy " now how can we foget that.

One of the best  was Peter Bruff and "Archie Andrews"   were they trying to fool us having a  ventriloquist  on the radio? but it worked.

Mary, According to Wiki The Archers started on 1st January 1951 and has been broadcast for 70 years with some 18,740 broadcasts

Whilst not soap operas Desert Island Discs has been on for 79 years. A program called The Daily Service which I have never heard of has been running since 1928 and the grand daddy of all is The Shipping Forecast, on air since since 1st January 1924 and has been broadcast over 130,000 times. It was first broadcast via telegraph in 1859.

The longest running Australian radio soap opera was Blue Hills that started in 1949 before the Archers it was cancelled in 1976 but at that time was the worlds' longest running radio soap.

• Like 1

I remember way before the sixties , of course, was the Archer's with Doris and Jack as the main characters and the fire where Grace died with Phil Archer failing to save her. Was there a hidden agenda to her actor being written out?

The best and seminal series was, Journey into Space, which I still listen to on iphone. Way before its time and not bettered by any other space radio programme. David Jacobs playing many of the roles especially the introduction with that earie voice of the various characters, crews of the space ships and ground controllers. Van Philips theme music fitted the genre perfectly. 

Another Charles Chiltern epic, Riders of the Range has never been revived. Perhaps one day?

To conclude this return to good radio was the best comedy provided by Round the Horn, When in Singapore whatever we were doing we stopped to listen to Charles and Fiona, and the inimitable Kenneth Williams's, J. Peasmold Grunthuttuck, and Rambling Sid Rumpo. Yes still listening to that series too.   

My father was usually glued to The Navy Lark.  He also liked Al Read.  I, of course, tuned in to Listen With Mother every week day from birth until I started school at 4.  That was followed by Woman's Hour which my mother liked.

"This is the Home Service for mothers and children at home."  You wouldn't even be permitted to say that today!

"It's a quarter to two. Here's Daphne Oxenford..."

:rolleyes:

Alpha,just a quick question. Wasn't the main character in Journey into space, called Jet? and I seem to remember a character called Lemmy.

As a young child I was subjected to The Archers 'It's Grace..she's dead...' and to Mrs Dale's Diary 'I'm worried about Jim..' with depressing regularity.

We had a telly for the Coronation.. but it died sometime mid-late 50s and we were stuck with whatever Rediffusion deigned to pump between the houses via their primitive cable system... until we got another Telly.. maybe around 1960.

Rediffusion provided the 'Home Service' ( Now R4) ..the 'Light Programme' (R2) and the 'Third Programme'.. (R3) If you were lucky they also pushed out a bit of Luxembourg occasionally.

Hancock was brilliant.  Sykes was pretty decent. Round the Horn, Beyond our Ken, The Goons etc.. were superb.  The Navy lark was very average IMHO. 'Full ahead backwards' is only funny the first 30 or 40 times you hear it.. The Clitheroe Kid, Archie Andrews/Peter Brough and Billy Cotton should all have been lined up against a wall and shot.. for multiple crimes..against entertainment.

• Like 1

I still recall a space TV programme which was broadcast on Saturday evenings..around tea time..in the early 60s.  I can still see a few scenes from it in my head.  It was a low budget live action thing..a sort of precursor to Dr Who. I can't recall if it was on BBC or ITV.. though probably BBC. I have a feeling it may have been based on a book called 'Space Adventure'.  There were a few shots of the spaceship..probably on a wire.. It was a sphere..with a cylinder attached at the back. I was struck by the way the set designers understood that in space..pointy rockets with fins and stuff have no advantage.

I've searched high and low for info on that series and can't find a thing.

Beekay:  Is Walter Gabriel still in it?

Oh nooo ohh dear..oh lore..oh dear..oh no oh no oh dear..Oi think e'm dead...

Shame Col. I'd better watch Seth Armstrong or Albert Tatlock instead.

• Like 1