60's wireless memories

I’ve actually met Albert Tatlock. I stood with him in the queue to pay our bills at the Midland Hotel in Manchester. The hall porter said he was a miserable old bastard and never gave a tip. I also met one of the early Dr. Who’s there at breakfast. Patrick Troughton I think it was.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember “Have a Go!”, with Wilfred Pickles and Mable at the table, but I’m not sure if it was a programme in its own right or part of another programme like “Worker’s Playtime”.   (Hope I

Saturday morning, stayed in bed until 12.00.  Children's favourites, with 'Uncle Mac', followed by Brian Matthews', 'Saturday Club'.   Sundays, after lunch and Family Favourites, the 'Billy

I think that place has been mentioned on here somewhere before. This is the location in its later years.

Name dropper. You know all the best people.

I'm in awe of you. Hero worship.

The actor who played Albert Tatlock appeared in Hobson's Choice, directed by David Lean. Lean was, apparently, also inclined to be miserable and difficult.  Brilliant film though.

27 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Name dropper. You know all the best people.

I'm in awe of you. Hero worship.

Purely by chance BK. I don’t go out seeking the famous. I once just missed seeing Paul McCartney at a hotel in Campbeltown on the Mull of Kintyre by five minutes!

12 hours ago, Alpha said:

Round the Horn

Yes a must listen program along with I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again" (the Angus Prune show) Beyond Our Ken and of course the Goons. I did enjoy The Navy Lark too "Left hand down a bit"

At the first cry of Wakey! Wakey! there was a rush to turn the radio off.

• Like 1

Who remembers "Down Your Way" They visited Nottingham, Arnold, Carlton and Eakring. Does anyone know if any other towns and villages in Notts were featured? if so I wonder if they are on any media that we can listen to?.

7 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

'Wallumboola base calling flying doctor'.

It was on radio before television.

Good Grief!!  That's sadism that is...

And you can add 'Just a Minute' to that.

It was interesting word play, a bit stodgy at first, although from the 80s onwards it got much better. I still listen to recordings on YT.

After 45 years it crossed over to TV and was then very entertaining with some more excellent contestants. 

22 hours ago, Beekay said:

Alpha,just a quick question. Wasn't the main character in Journey into space, called Jet? and I seem to remember a character called Lemmy.

BK,

Jet Morgan was played by actor Andrew Faulds and (MP). Doc was played by a Canadian actor, Guy Kingsley Pointer, Lemmy, played by both Alfie Bass and David Kossoff, with Mitch played by Bruce Beeby and Don Sharp.

I miss-spelt the producer Charles Chilton as Chiltern, and 'eerie' voice of David Jacobs, not as earie!

No worries Alpha. At least we're both singing from the same hymn sheet. Remember us all sitting round the radio waiting for J.I.S to start. Think it was about 6.30.

Who needs television.?

Boy, reading this brings back some memories. My all time favourite was the Goon Show. Somewhere, in a box (buried deep in my garage) is a tape with all of the Goon Shows on it. I must dig it out one day. It was carefully "backwound" and stored in a metal container so hopefully it is still ok. There is a community radio station here in Melbourne that is still playing them and they still have me in stitches.

Radford Boy I think I saw somewhere that you can get a boxed set of The Goon Shows on CD and there are sites that offer free downloads. If the tape is OK do you still have something to play it on?

Hi Oztalgian.

Not at the moment. I worked in Pro Audio most of my life but all I have at the moment is a Revox A77 2 track Stereo machine and the tape is 4 track mono at 1and 7/8 ips. Currently on the lookout for a machine that will play it.

• Like 1

I was into the pirate stations that fired up in the 1960's, my favourite was Radio 270 that was moored off the coast of Scarborough, Mam used to write to them & was always mentioned on air, I had a couple of birthday requests played but can't remember whet songs I asked for. My favourite nowadays is BOOM RADIO, it's on digital radio & online, never had it drop out on my car radio, unlike GOLD radio, that drops out all the time... 

• Upvote 1
On 5/1/2021 at 1:30 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

The actor who played Albert Tatlock appeared in Hobson's Choice, directed by David Lean. Lean was, apparently, also inclined to be miserable and difficult.  Brilliant film though.

Hobson's Choice....one of my all time favourite filums! Brilliant performance from Charles Laughton