Nottinghams best clothes shop?

Yes good one Chulla.........you look almost good enough to come on the Pull with me and Catfan.............lol.

• Like 1

Mrs PP won as usual and we go to boundary Mills on Monday. If that fails we go to Nottingham on Tuesday :biggrin:

Wish I could buy a bit of Benjamin's charm to go with the coat. Some of us have it - some of us don't :rolleyes:

Something I have learnt though is that some 'quality' clothes last well and endure an ageless style. I have discarded loads of suits over the years but hung on to the best three. Winter, Summer and Tropical weights. All tailored and excellent quality. They will see me out. The problem I have with an overcoat is that quality seems to have given way to fashion. All this 'Peaky Blinders' and 'slimfit' stuff won't last. Crombie and Boss will be my first look. Trouble is £2-3 hundred plus for a coat that will not be worn that often.  

• Like 1

Like i say Terry............Primark £20............more or less same coat in Vivviene Westwood was £500..............''Peaky Blinders''............my style...........lol.

Another good place to have a look is TKMAX.........hunt their racks some real bargains can be found............

There used to be an Acquascutum Factory Shop on an Industrial Estate in Hemel Hempstead when we lived down there.  I tell you what, we got some fantastic bargains, beautiful Cashmere coats, classic raincoats, suits etc.  In the end I had a wardrobe full of clothes I hardly wore, because I hate to miss a bargain.  The Charity shops did very well out of me.   

I don’t think I’ve ever found anything I wanted to buy in TKMaxx, it’s like a jumble sale in there, but some people love it and get good finds.  

Only been to Boundary Mills once and didn’t spend a single penny but again, you could be lucky on the day. 

House of Fraser and John Lewis both have a  Hugo Boss concession PP and there’s also a Hugo Boss shop on St Peters Gate.  Good luck, town will be busy this week. 

• Like 1

I see the Dalai Llama has had a makeover.  I'm sure you'll be hearing from Jill about that.  Must be the Tibetan Tonic water.  Looks good anyway.:)

As to whatever it is they might grab.  I'm not going there. Lol.

Edited to add.  I see she (Jill) beat me to it two hours ago. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Yes good one Chulla.........you look almost good enough to come on the Pull with me and Catfan.............lol.

Good idea, Ben. But we don't want Catfan with us - he doesn't smoke. I mean, with us and our Tony Curtis hair styles, drainpipes and a Park Drive dangling from our lips we have got to create the right impression. 

• Like 4

On Christmas eve 1965 I bought a sheepskin coat from Burtons at the bottom of Friar Lane. Cost me 25 quid. Last week I wore it on a visit into town. It's still going strong.

• Like 1

43years ago after contracting pneumonia, I was advised to get some warm clothing. So I went to C and A nottm and bought a pigskin and fur lined coat at the cost of £60.00. Best investment I ever made, not in all the years that I wore it, did I ever feel the cold. It went to the Charity shop a couple of months ago. I hope it is keeping someone as warm as it kept me....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chulla said:

On Christmas eve 1965 I bought a sheepskin coat from Burtons at the bottom of Friar Lane. Cost me 25 quid. Last week I wore it on a visit into town. It's still going strong.

That Burtons has been there a long time. Just up the road was "Fifty shilling tailors" who, presumably, were a bit more downmarket.

qbnj5hu.jpg

• Like 2

Clothes were built to last in the early 60s.  I bought my made to measure wedding suit at the tailors on the corner of Clumber street.  Can't remember now whether it was Burtons or Tip Top Tailors.  That was in 1964. I wore it for years until it shrunk a bit.;)

If it was one on the top of Clumber St, LL, it was Burtons. I splashed out on my very first made to measure there. I'd got my suits from Lord John off-the-peg up until then, they fit lovely too. The Burtons suit cost me thirty quid and would have fit like a glove, if only I'd had a shape like Quasimodo.   

2 hours ago, TBI said:

If it was one on the top of Clumber St, LL, it was Burtons. I splashed out on my very first made to measure there. I'd got my suits from Lord John off-the-peg up until then, they fit lovely too. The Burtons suit cost me thirty quid and would have fit like a glove, if only I'd had a shape like Quasimodo.   

John Collier off Friar Gate was his choice of tailor for his drape suits, also used Lord John and Burtons.  

12 hours ago, Chulla said:

Chulla, here I am thinking I have the only person who still has clothes from the sixties, his is are drape jackets and there is no way he goes out in them.

• Like 1

Thanks TBI.  I thought it was Burtons.  Corner of Clumber St. and Parliament street.  I think the suit was only just over twenty pounds.  Fit well and lasted years.  Probably went in and out of style several times while I owned it.

• 7 months later...
1 minute ago, catfan said:

Charity shops is where the real bargains are ! & cheaper too.

Bought a newish SONY table top tripod the other day................£1

You could have had it for nothing if I’d known you wanted one Catfan .....

• Like 1