It's sowiing time again...

We went to Hobbiton, when in New Zealand and took the tour of the film set, which is actually on a farm. They needed a frog pond for the Hobbit movies, built it and the local frogs moved in and took over. It was so noisy with the ribbit, ribbit, during filming, someone had the job of wading in the pond and catching every last one of them and moving them to a pond far enough away to be quiet. How does the saying go 'If you build it, they will come'.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, FLY2 said:

I've not spotted any frog spawn in the pond yet

Have you checked the ponds in the road pot-holes?

• Like 2
17 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

^^^^The lady told me yesterday we have some spawn in the pond, not sure whether that is a good thing with the weather as it is.

Put something on top of it to weigh it down below frost level and it will be ok.

Funnily enough, the council are currently filling in potholes and doing bits of resurfacing on our stretch of road  as I'm typing this.

Suppose it'll last till next winter !

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2018 at 4:50 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

^^^^^We will see if this works any better

peas_18_1.jpg

You been doing the  "Cat's cradle" game and made a mess of it, NBL? :)

• Like 1

^^^^^^Even better now Compo they have come on somewhat since I posted that they have had to have another layer of string.

I grow Kelvedon Wonder, only supposed to go to 18" but I find keeping them well supported I can double that and still get two crops in a season.

I sowed two whole packets of Alderman peas the other week. As per recommendation I soaked them in paraffin first to stop mice and birds from helping themselves.  Alas, of the two packets just one seedling survived the beasties; all that was left of the remainder was just little holes in the soil where something had stuck beak or nose in and plucked out every seed for dinner!  I have resown in my usual manner - in small pots.  I have also sown Kelvedon Wonder and my favourite Hurst Green Shaft in pots. Ah, the joys of living amonst farming fields...... full of beasties :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1