Photo printing

We all take plenty of photos on our phones,cameras,tablets etc but how many of us actually have them printed? when our friend from Edinburgh came to stay with us in the summer we took loads of pictures of her but she has no photo memories of her holiday so I decided to have some of the pictures printed and send them up to her as part of her Christmas gift,the point of the post is "Max Spielman" shops cost 49p per print for 6x4 inch size pictures, Asda (on line) 11p per print,minimum 28 prints for £3.00 plus just over a quid postage or pickup in store (no postage),got to be worth it, just upload to site the pics you want and leave the rest to them,ceverybody loves a photo

Rog

• Like 1

Good point, Rog.  Rarely have a photo printed anymore and if I do I do it myself.  I've got photo albums from years back, but nothing new in them for years now.  I just pull 'em up on the computer or IPad when I want to see 'em.  Doubt if that will change much now.

I wonder if that is because photos seem to be ten a penny today.  We have cameras on phones, other cheap cameras etc.. When I was a kid it was quite an occasion to have a photo taken, even by a relative.  When. I got a camera of my own film and printing were not cheap so didn't take many photos.  Now we might take ten of the same thing and just try to keep the best, but seems like we just don't bother to print.

Would be nice to recieve a photo though, put it in a frame and hang it on the wall or on top of somewhere,not always got a computer/laptop or other playback device handy and you can keep a photo of that someone/something special in your wallet

Rog

Think about all those pictures stored on your computer/laptop that no one will have the password for after you've gone

When I needed to print some photos recently, I used "Freeprints". Cost me nothing, as they have an introductory offer of 100 free prints. Once you exceed the offer, you only pay a nominal amount for postage.

And as for photos stuck on old PCs, you could try removing the hard drive and see if someone can recover them from it for you onto a memory stick or CD/DVD.

• Upvote 1

It never crosses my mind to get photos printed these days. We’ve got many albums of photos from when the boys were young, then I didn’t bother putting photos into albums anymore and we’ve got a massive plastic box full of pics in those envelopes that they came in, I really should try to sort them out but the task seems daunting.  

We knew George Ward who owned Bonusprint, Doubleprint and Tripleprint,  (he was in the headlines in the mid-70s to do with his company, it was known as the Grunwick Dispute, but I won’t enlarge as it may turn this thread into something political which we don’t want do we) Anyway he always offered to take our films to develop free of charge but I didn’t want to take advantage.  When I got my first digital camera I was using it in his company and he was quite upset as digital cameras were the beginning of the end for photographic Laboratories. George had started the business with just a few pounds and built it up into a multi-million pound concern.  He was an extremely generous but very ordinary man who never touched alcohol but loved jelly babies.  He got out of the photographic developing business at the right time, when he realised digital was getting too big to fight against.   Sadly he passed away a few years ago.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In some respect, I must admit I miss the days of being in the darkroom for hours on end, developing negatives and printing black and white photos. I can thank my dad for teaching me how to do it, even though it's now a "forgotten art".

• Like 3

I was in a similar situation to you, Lizzie. I had boxes of photos all over the house and one day I was trying to find a particular photo. After spending what seemed like hours searching for it I decided that I'd download them all onto my computer. It does seem a daunting task when you begin but it becomes quite enjoyable. With todays technology you can edit and crop your photos to how you want them quite easily. I started off just doing a few at a time but as you get into it you just don't want to stop. As you go through the photos you experience a million memories and emotions. At the end of it all you can find any photo straight away. Two days ago my eldest brother came to see me and during our conversation he asked me if I could remember a certain person. I told him that I had a photo of him and within two minutes I'd sent it to him via e-mail. He could then, if he wished, make a photo from his printer. So much better than how it was in the past.

• Upvote 1

Three or four years ago, my brother mentioned that he had some of our dad's 35mm Kodachrome slides, and asked if I would like to have them. OK, I thought. Might be one or two worth looking at.

A few days later, he turned up with three suitcases, full of nearly five thousand slides, dating from the early 1969s through to the 1980s.

It took me the best part of a month to go through them all, scanning the family ones onto my PC, and then uploading them onto Dropbox (for safe keeping).

• Like 1

Rob, three full suitcases is rather a lot of work but I'll bet you enjoyed going through them all. I had to look up Dropbox to see what it was. What happens if the firm goes bust you'll probably lose all your photos.

My youngest son bought me an external hard drive and I keep copies of my photos and videos on that.

Wouldn't worry me if Dropbox stopped, Michael, as not only do I have the photos there, they're also on the hard drive of my PC, as well as a second external hard drive.

And although my original intention was to throw the slides away after digitising them, I couldn't face letting them go. So they're safely stored in my loft should I have to repeat the exercise.

• Like 1

I've just taken 3 pics of our computer of Kev,  put them on a flash drive and took them to be printed...A4 size..just short of £14.00...worth every penny....i will have more done, but not at that size, as they were for framing as gifts.