• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saw this YT video today & enjoyed it. I know one or two on here like old wagons especially FLY 2 .    

Marmite moment for some. Mr.Peatman might enjoy this...superb!  

Collars Ltd of Wembley owned AUU 602, a Commer two-ton chassis with an "art deco" streamlined van body by Holland Coachcraft of Govan in Glasgow. This van was displayed at the 1933 Commercial Vehicle

Especially with those large tread tyres, remember the Bedford 3 tonners and Land Rovers with similar tread tyres, always got that heavy rumbling sound

Rog

• Like 1

Think this ones an AEC Matador fuel bowser, got them heavy tread tyres on as well

2008_1216HamEggs0005.jpg

Rog

sorry about the picture quality

• Like 2

And a D9 CAT towing a Onions box,used them as well for ground levelling when Ratcliffe power station was being built

Rog

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Another RMC truck,this time a recovery vehicle,probably used for the recovery of dump trucks,wheeled loaders etc

RMC_1.jpg

Again took from the RMC website

Rog

• Like 2

The Albion looks OK but they were horrible to drive. The wrecker looks like a Diamond T usually ex military. The only reason I can think of for cooling concrete is to slow the cure time.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, plantfit said:

not sure of the idea of using liquid nitrogen

They use liquid nitrogen in bulky concrete pours to give a more consistent batch, as the chemical reaction of cement creates heat, the LN will effectively let the concrete cure more evenly ( simplified). One example where it would have been useful would have been in the construction of the Hoover dam. But I don't think the idea was around then.

• Like 1

Good point Waddo, I don't think it;s used today with more modern additives,must have looked really wierd though when it was used

Rog

• Upvote 1

It's still used but it is costly, alternatives are ice flakes but it's harder to control the water ratio with that. So really there are for s and against both methods. Suppose it boils down to cost, specification and purpose!.

• Like 1

Judging by the reg, it was probably before the Japanese got good at making things. Remember the first motorbikes?, Pretty much rubbish, but now great, along with the cars and pretty much anything else they make!!

• Like 1

I once came back from london on the m1 in the 1980s to suddenly find cars and wagons going everywhere when the mayhem subsided theres a mechanical horse doing all of 20 mph near newport pagnall  meeowed

• Like 1

The mechanical horse must have been a restoration as they were long gone by the 80s  There were loads in the 60s down wilford road  I think they also did a later model with a rounded front  When i was a kid they were like bees running about and even railway horse and carts  meeowed

• Like 1

They would be Scammal Scarabs, railways used loads of them,there was quite a discussion about them on here some time back

Rog

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Nice to see old truck and bus photo's on here again Ian,keep em coming

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Collars Ltd of Wembley owned AUU 602, a Commer two-ton chassis with an "art deco" streamlined van body by Holland Coachcraft of Govan in Glasgow. This van was displayed at the 1933 Commercial Vehicle Show

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1