NC500 route in Scotland

Went in the Ship Compo, but only had steak, no starter. I love Cullen Skink though, even tinned.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And a few more:   A lonely house on Loch Eriboll:     Ben Loyal:     Tongue war memorial:     Sunrise over Bettyhill:  

NC500 continued:   Snow ploughs worked hard all day to keep the roads open:     "....and I think the little house knew something about it too, don't you?" Anyone remember

The "North Coast 500" route is a 500 miles long tourist route starting at Inverness and going out to the west coast of Scotland, then up to the north and across the very top to John O'Groats before tr

Wonderful photos Compo. They bring back lots of memories. When I was 18  I went on holiday with my parents touring the north of Scotland. I was a learner driver the first time  driving 2000 miles around Scotland was great experience for me and a chance for Dad to sit back and enjoy the view! (He like that so I went with them again a few times!) It was August, lovely weather and I loved driving along the North Coast. Generally mum and dad never booked hotels or B&B, we just looked out for the signs and booked in when we saw somewhere! Quite exciting when it was getting late in the day. We did stay in Brora a few times where we got to know the couple who ran the B%B. They were so nice. It was Pier House on Harbour Road. 

23 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Looks a good website compo. Have you become a member? I'm thinking of doing so - just the basic membership £15. Planning two trip a year so could be worth it.

Given that I live on the route there aren't many things that membership would give me that make it worthwihlie.  For example: I don't usually need accommodation, nor do I need car hire, bike hire, walking guides or route guides. I lso need no completion certificate - I have done the complete route sevferal times over the years :) However, if you are a visitor, I can see a benefit to be had in becoming a member.

Slioch - a prominent mountain alongside Loch Maree on the NC500 tourist route (Mentioned earlier in the thread).  It took  me 8½ hrs to climb this mountain and unfortunately most of that was in thick cloud. Image credit: P.Tomkins/Visit Scotland.

24647008897_b82665d902_h.jpg

• Like 1

In case anyone is interested: I can get free copies of the official NC500 tourist map, so don't go buying them!  If you want one, let me know and I will get one for you for free.

Compo - search as I may, I cannot find a spot from where that picture was taken? Must be somewhere on the A832 but I cannot find an islet as shown in the foreground. The loch is over 250 feet deep just there. 

Don't forget BBC2 at 8.30 tonight. Bound to see a similar scene from the loch side. Gairloch and Poolewe are also featured - places where we took our children for several Summer holidays. Revisited all those places June 2017 so looking forward to the programme.