All things lecky

Ok , don't know if I am on the right topic here, but here goes. With all this talk of going Green and saving the planet, got me thinking. Here in Nottingham we get our Lecky mainly from Ratcliff on soar power station. That's running at about 90% capacity most of the time !. Its got a short stay of execution of about 12 yrs ! Now Mr and Mrs treehugger wants us all to go electric, transport wise, where is the extra Lecky coming from to power the cars, trams, trains, industry and domestic requirements ?. Also how do the folk's in high rise buildings charge their vehicles? Methinks that I will be Lucky enough not to be around when the Nottingham city council come up with the idea that every household has to provide its own generator or else be punished with a life sentance or worse.

• Like 1

They're all barmy Waddo. We were told some time ago that wood burning stoves were the answer, as wood is renewable. Now, the 'experts' say it's unhealthy. For Gods sake, where do they get their ideas from. Anyway, I'm keeping my chiminea, it like an old steam train. 

Saving the planet my backside. Tell India, China and the rest of the tips in the Far East ! 

• Like 1

Far as I'm concerned the whole global warming thing is just a big scam to relieve us of our money and profit the fat cat club.

I remember Ratcliffe on soar power station being built.  Doesn't seem that long ago.  Crazy to close it down as far as I can see.

• Upvote 1

Fly I never understood the claim that woodburners are carbon neutral becuse the it's a renewable source. Scots pine grows quite quickly in tree term (8 to 12 inches a year) so a reasonble sized tree is around 40 or 50 years old, how long will it last burnt as fuel? Of course the smoke is totally harmless. :shout:

Some idealistic twerp probably doesn't like the smell of smoke , and I never light mine if a nearby neighbour has washing out, or if it's overly windy. 

I first used seasoned silver birch when I lived at Saxondale, and the aroma was truly delightful. Me ex thought I was bonkers buying wood to heat the place, and I'd be standing at the top of the garden inhaling the smoke. Gorgeous.

However, there's always idiots who burn the likes of melamine, chipboard or ancient window frames with 100 years of lead paint on them. Now that is a no no.

I am in total agreement with all the above comments, if climate change is down to Johnny money bag's and Polly pretty pants driving around in range rover's, what caused it 2.5 million years ago?. And how doe's charging an absolute fortune for anything "green" clean the air? Do they use the money as some sort of magic air purifier? And how will driving around in electric car's be better? Have you seen what goes into making those battery's?. I suppose when the petrol dries up, we will have electric planes as well, to go on our long haul flights NOT!!. I have not heard anything remotely convincing yet about our super "green" future, perhaps someone on here can convince me.( but I doubt it)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hang on a minute Waddo, the word WORK, isn't normally associated with City Council is it  ? 

Thats definately a new one on me ! 

• Like 1

I know, don't worry ! Always best to get your apologies and excuses ready just in case some sensitive soul throws a tizzy.