A bit like our local council before they saw sense. They provided small plastic bags for recyclable material thereby forcing people to make trips to the tip. Lord knows how much more fuel did we used compared to one truck.

The only answer is to stop using non-compostable wrappings and return to paper and cardboard,which can easily be composted at home or recycled in industrial machines. Unless, of course, something happens to reduce the human population to a sustainable leveel.

Compo

I agree that the only way is to return to paper and cardboard  why can't we? 

Primark use paper bags,but other shops continue to ask if you want a 5 or 10 p carrier bag a plastic one.Sometimes you see something in a shop that you would like to buy,but have forgotten to take a bag,so you either pay for a plastic one ,or carry the item unwrapped which makes you look like a shoplifter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, Compo said:

Unless, of course, something happens to reduce the human population to a sustainable leveel.

Be patient Compo, North Korea are working on it!!.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Come to light now that discarded clothes are now a threat to the planet because of the amount of plastic in them, Threads, a lot of todays clothing has man made fibres in them ie: plastic in some for or other, Britains are buying new clothes faster than the Germans,French and other EU countries,and the old ones end up in land fill, where is it all going to end? Plastics in the oceans,pollution in the atmosphere,mobile phone radio waves attacking our brains, cyber attacks on computers,hospitals, motor car electronics even traffic light sequences, are we safe from anything anymore?

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I object having to buy a plastic bag to carry what I've bought. Even more annoying is the fact that I'm advertising for them.  Now I always have a couple of those cloth folding bags in my handbag. They dont take any space and are always useful.

Our supermarkets have recently started to charge for bags for veg and fruit but the local one has 2 different sized paper bags. More convenient, I put kitchen waste in them before I put rubbish into the compost bin.

• Like 2