NOOB The Early Years

Throughout my life iv'e lived in all sorts of areas ,posh villages,council estates,small towns, even an ex vicarage,...............and have found nice people and not so nice in every place,......and looking back i have to say i prefer the council estates,......all sorts live/lived on them,....some dishonest but most honest down to earth people and hard workers,and you learned how to cope with the others.............mostly with humour...............

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the first part of what appears will be quite a long narrative. I'm doing it in sections so as not to have you dying of boredom or the system refusing to publish such meandering prose.  

- - - continued fourth and final part - - -   This is where I leave Nottingham forever.   In spite of my residence at 291 being enjoyable and very memorable, all good things must c

- - - continued - - -   Following my disastrous experiences at Newstead Grove and my total loss of respect for humanity, the next few weeks were spent dossing down at friends flats/houses. T

Mick, I gave you and Fly a like because I think you are both right as far as it goes.  You are both just seeing it from slightly different angles.  Whatever the root cause it is a shame that such decent areas have been marred by a few layabahts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Even back in the 70s Aspley, Strelley and Broxtowe all had they share of dirty scruffy folk and near do wells (remember the donkey in the bathroom), whilst the majority were ordinary hard working people just trying to get along. I and my workmates must have worked in just about every house installing central heating so I knew these estates well.

One thing though, through out the contract I never felt threatened once, we had some gob of one or two but that's all it was gobbiness.

I doubt very much if you could say that now, since we went soft on bad behaviour things have gone from bad to worse, the young of today know they can get away with most things without consequence and some take full advantage of it.

I often wonder when I see these people committing low level crime how long it would carry on if they got six of the best every time they were caught stealing a car, with a little weed etc. My guess is not very long......

The ex St Anne's and Meadows occupants are a recent addition over the last 10 years.

I remember the saying about the donkey in the bath and when Clifton was first built it was said that the people who first went to live there kept coal in there bath, but I think that's just what it was an old saying made up by some one, just the same as when the hair style called the bee-hive, some one put it around that the women who had her hair  styled  had not taken her hair down, for weeks and a bee had made a nest in her  hair. Not True.

It was just words that some one had made up,

Just another comment that went around they said that some people up St Ann's could not afford cups and used to drink out of jam jars this was also rubbish. One more Bread and Lard Island (West Bridgeford) they also used to say that to afford the big houses in West Bridgeford the people lived all week on bread and lard.

What do you think? Me!! what a load of rubbish.

• Like 2

Except Mary I was referring to a tale I told on here.

Basically we were working in Aspley on a price for doing the installation this meant that everyone had their head down grafting as when the work was done you could go home as there was no set times. My number one Cyril was a stickler for getting on dinner was 10 minutes and teas was drunk on the move.

So when George Conner came to us from the house across the road and said "Pop over you must see this" we took very little notice. However I was upstairs installing the radiators and cold see the house across the road, there was a steady stream of two man teams going in and coming out a couple of minutes later doubled over with laughter.

We finished the installation about 3-30 and instead of jumping in the van to go home curiosity got the better of me and I told Cyril to hang on as I was going over to have a look. On going in I was pointed in the direction of the kitchen, I think the style of house was called 'Sunlight' but anyway it had the bathroom of the kitchen and there it was.

The door had been cut in half horizontally to form a 'stable' door, hay in the bath and water in the wash hand basin and a donkey in the bathroom.

• Like 1

Very interesting social comment there. I've always thought it strange to put coal in the bath but the term seemed quite widespread when I was around Nottm. It never occurred to me about tin baths and them being stored outside. Now the penny has dropped, seems quite obvious and reasonable. Many thanks!