Plains Road Primary

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nay, Jill. You joined Nottstalgia!

So your cousin was a fairy!!    My Brownie uniform was also a brown dress and a yellow tie which we had to fold and tie at the back like that.  We had to wear a brown beret as well. i've posted a

Don't worry Paradiddle, I have a photograph - but can't post it tonight!  Pic is on the PC so will post later.   I was there 1951 - 1957. Headmaster then was originally Mr Smith, then Mr Hea

Posted Images

I went to Brownies and then Guides one evening each week there from about 1950 until 1957.  I remember playing 'kick the can' in the playground, and practising semaphore standing at one end of the corridor while someone else 'read' it at the other end.  I went to Arno Vale Primary School

5 hours ago, mikede said:

Anybody out there go to Plains Road Primary School 1955-60 ?

Maybe a bit earlier , probably 1954 when I went to Plains Road . 

Only there for a short time though , (could have been a term or two before going to the wooden huts on Westdale which was nearer to where we lived off Marshall Hill Drive ).

Apart from a lad called Dave Green who met up with again at Gedling don't remember a soul I'm afraid .

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

I went to Brownies and then Guides one evening each week there from about 1950 until 1957.  I remember playing 'kick the can' in the playground, and practising semaphore standing at one end of the corridor while someone else 'read' it at the other end.  I went to Arno Vale Primary School

Like you Margie I was a Brownie then Guide, when I read your post a very odd thought popped in. As a Brownie we had to tie our  tie at the back in a special knot "right over left and under left over right and under" did you do the same or was just my group.

It was a reef knot, Gem.  Which 'six' were you in?  When I first joined, I was an Imp, then later I was promoted to being a 'sizer' for the Fairies.  

In Guides I was a Robin, then I moved to a different group and was  Patrol Leader of White Heather 

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

It was a reef knot, Gem.  Which 'six' were you in?  When I first joined, I was an Imp, then later I was promoted to being a 'sizer' for the Fairies.  

In Guides I was a Robin, then I moved to a different group and was  Patrol Leader of White Heather 

As soon as read your post Margie i remembered the name. As a Brownie i was a Sprite and in Guides a Swan stayed in that group and same as yourself  became a Patrol Leader, i am going through old photos as they maybe some when i was Brownie/Guide.  They will be carefully scrutinised before posting as the uniforms were not flattering.

Yes went there from 55 - 59  not a lot of memories left of it though, apart from the toilet block being in the play ground and also all the old sandstone walls around it.

Oh and my first ever girl friend called Rosalind she lived on a farm up on Spring lane near the Dumbles (not a girl friend in the "real" sense Lol ) we sat next to each other and I used to pedal my bike up to see her at her dads farm after school.

Also we had to walk down Hazel grove then Digby ave to play sports  where the Arnold & Carlton college is.

And I think the 31 bus terminus was on Plains road there too but that may have been later when they moved it from top of Westdale lane.

• Like 1

Outside toilet block with cricket stumps painted on the wall I seem to remember.... we went to school with football kit on under normal clothes and "changed" in the cloakroom before walking down to Digby.....Teachers..... Mr Teesdale....Mrs Williamson.....Miss King (!!!)

• Like 1
17 hours ago, MargieH said:

9a95b2e3e47d47f618351540c5a4e25d.jpg 

I found this today in a box belonging to my late cousin she was 5 years older than me, when i first saw thought it was a blouse but its a folded dress.                   

mikede, remember the long walk down (and back) to Digby to play football.  Boots with nailed in studs slung round my neck (after tying the laces together that is).  On match days I often had the honour of applying the 'dubbin' to the leather ball prior to the game!

Mr Heal (with a limp) was headmaster and I think Mr Garwood took us for PE.

Thought I'd taken a photo of the school before it was demolished but unfortunately I can't find it!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Gem said:

9a95b2e3e47d47f618351540c5a4e25d.jpg 

I found this today in a box belonging to my late cousin she was 5 years older than me, when i first saw thought it was a blouse but its a folded dress.                   

So your cousin was a fairy!!    My Brownie uniform was also a brown dress and a yellow tie which we had to fold and tie at the back like that.  We had to wear a brown beret as well.

i've posted a photo of me in my guide uniform previously but I'll repost it as it seems appropriate at this point....  I was 13

IMG_0870.jpg

• Like 2

Very smart Margie, I have been looking through my photos and up to now they will stay where they  are.  My guides uniform was exactly the same as yours but dark blue with light tie, we had days away but never camp those that are Brownies/Guides  today would probably think we were boring.  There is a Facebook page for guides in my area at the time I was there so will have a look see if there are any of my group.

• 2 months later...

Don't worry Paradiddle, I have a photograph - but can't post it tonight!  Pic is on the PC so will post later.

I was there 1951 - 1957. Headmaster then was originally Mr Smith, then Mr Heal.

Teachers - in order as we progressed through the school:

Mrs Adams - I think

Mrs King

Mrs Hebden

Miss Wilson

Mrs Williamson - her son John was in our class

Miss Brooks

Yup, the walk back from Digby, covered in mud, in the middle of winter, wasn't much fun.

For the last year only, I think, we had a Clarks (of Epperstone?) coach to take us to the freezing cold Arnold baths for swimming.

Winter snow, we made slides in the playground.  Summer, we played marbles in the earth below the Plains Road wall.

St Georges Day, we proudly went to school in Cub/Brownie/Lifeboys uniforms.

• Like 2

Taken in 2004.

204_0614_01.JPG

204_0614_02.JPG

Quite a lot of older images from free hosting websites seem to have disappeared, so the older links don't work now, which is a shame, when looking back.  All my images are hosted on one of my own websites, so hopefully, won't disappear - until I do!

• Like 2

Met here for Brownies and Guides.  Remember playing 'Kick the can' in the playground and I also 'Flew up' from Brownies to Guides through an arch made of people's arms.  For people not in Brownies/Guides the latter may sound like rubbish but that's what happened!

• 5 months later...
On 3/14/2018 at 7:30 AM, Socram said:

Don't worry Paradiddle, I have a photograph - but can't post it tonight!  Pic is on the PC so will post later.

I was there 1951 - 1957. Headmaster then was originally Mr Smith, then Mr Heal.

Teachers - in order as we progressed through the school:

Mrs Adams - I think

Mrs King

Mrs Hebden

Miss Wilson

Mrs Williamson - her son John was in our class

Miss Brooks

Yup, the walk back from Digby, covered in mud, in the middle of winter, wasn't much fun.

For the last year only, I think, we had a Clarks (of Epperstone?) coach to take us to the freezing cold Arnold baths for swimming.

Winter snow, we made slides in the playground.  Summer, we played marbles in the earth below the Plains Road wall.

St Georges Day, we proudly went to school in Cub/Brownie/Lifeboys uniforms.

1st Year 1948

Mr Smith Head

Mrs Adams Teacher

Some of the pupils I remember.

John Wood

Kenneth Brown

Diana Christian

Ruth Coxall

Barbara Brown

Neil Wigley

Anne Caston

Eric Corner

Joan Saywell

Michael Ward

Apologies if I've forgotten you!

1948 Mapperley Plains 1st Year.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I think it was MISS King and she was formidable lady- I got the ruler on the back of the thigh most days I seem to remember- she also taught my Dad at Westdale Lane when she was obviously  just starting out

Mr Teesdale was there in the late '50s

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2018 at 10:53 AM, mikede said:

Outside toilet block with cricket stumps painted on the wall I seem to remember.... we went to school with football kit on under normal clothes and "changed" in the cloakroom before walking down to Digby.....Teachers..... Mr Teesdale....Mrs Williamson.....Miss King (!!!)

Miss King was my teacher when I was at Mapperley Plains for about 18 months 1949 to 1951 and she seemed incredibly old to me but, I realise  now I'm incredibly old myself that she can't have been! The head teacher was a Mr Smith but I have no recollection of any of the other staff.

I went to live with my grandma on Westdale Lane in 1955, two doors away from the Williamsons, after my parents split up.  Nora Williamson taught the next to top class, and Steven S reports her son John being in that class too. So we must know each other.

Quite a few of us went on to Carlton le Willows. One was Robert Hardy, known universally as Jim, after the chief character in popular TV western series, Jim Hardy.  I found a photo of him recently going through some old stuff of my mum's.  

Someone else mentions John Wood in 1948. He had a brother Andy, also in our class. Both passed the 11 plus and went to CleWs.

Plains Road enriched our intellectual life and capabilities. Since demolition it has physically enriched the Mccarthy and Stone construction company, a poor swap in most senses

Apologies. It was Socram above.  He/she must remember when Miss Brooks fell off the box that her desk and chair were placed on. Head teacher Smith went on to Cavendish Sec Mod.  Along with the photo of Jim Hardy were two reports, both indicating I needed to work harder, which I later did for 10 years at Gedling Colliery.