Plains Road Primary

I know Robert Hardy C22, and his younger brother Neil, in fact I saw them both a few weeks ago at a CleWGS  reunion.  Am I right in thinking John Williamson was there too.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nay, Jill. You joined Nottstalgia!

So your cousin was a fairy!!    My Brownie uniform was also a brown dress and a yellow tie which we had to fold and tie at the back like that.  We had to wear a brown beret as well. i've posted a

Don't worry Paradiddle, I have a photograph - but can't post it tonight!  Pic is on the PC so will post later.   I was there 1951 - 1957. Headmaster then was originally Mr Smith, then Mr Hea

Posted Images

LizzieM,

Yes he was.

I found the CleWGS site earlier this year set up and maintained by Roger Pikett,  but it looked like nothing had been posted for quite while.  Do you have any links about the reunion you mentioned?  Is CleWGS still active?  I've just Googled it and it hasn't come up

Hello C22, the website you found hasn’t been active for quite a while, since Roger Pikett passed away.  

At the reunion that was  held at the school a couple of months ago a new Old Boys (and Girls) Society was launched. This includes the Technical Grammar School and all other forms of the school since it all began in the 50s.  

I’m not really keen on the idea of mixing us all together but as the years go by and people die off I suppose it’s the only way to keep the Reunion group going.  

The link to the new website is www.clwsalix.co.uk

Not a great deal on it as yet but there’s plenty to read on the Facebook group.

I expect you knew Graham Tavner at Gedling Pit?  His wife Pat (who sadly passed away 2 or 3 years ago) was a Committee Member on the old Grammar School Reunion Group.  Lovely lady too.  I don’t know Graham though.  

Hope this helps.  

LizzieM,

I don't remember anyone named Tavner,  but then there were 2000 employed there when I started, and you only really knew people you worked with directly.

Thanks for the heads up on the new website.  I'll check on the old site and try the Wayback machine

LizzieM

I found it here http://www.carltonlewillowsgs.org.uk/Publishing Area/Home Frame.html and it is still live - I have it online in another window just now.  The class lists still exists.

Might be worth trying a download of the whole site, as it didn't come up on a Google search the past couple of days -  found the link by searching my download history.

I'll add this post on the other thread too.

I posted this elsewhere, but is relevant to this thread.  Taken 1953 just after the Coronation.  I can name some, who were in our class:

Ballerina left - Jean Lightbown - who moved away.

Nurse left, Judith Severn - went on to Bramcote and ACHS

Nurse right, possibly Janice North

Tahitian/Hawaiian - Sacha Osbourne, brother Clive was I think a year younger.

Little Boy Blue - Green...

Cowboy - Pete Scales (see the Mapperley thread)

Pirate - Alan Marks

Not in the picture but well remembered, my best pal - still - Richard Warsop, Sue Bish (both still attend ACHS reunions, despite Sue losing her sight aged about 19) Marian O'Dwyer, Barbara Dring, Leigh Price/King (ACHS)   

Andrew Wood, Robert 'Jim' Hardy,  John Williamson, John Luff, Suzette Fletcher (CLW)

Wendy Price, Robert Young, Peter Ivett, Gill Butler, Ruth Berry, Newby Taylor, Trevor Bagguley - no doubt more will spring to mind just as soon as the edit window has closed...

153_0610_04.jpg

• Like 1

Did Marian O'Dwyer have long black hair?  I think I went to ballet with her.   She lived on Melbury Road

• 4 months later...

I went to Hazel Hurst Prep School, then Plains Road Primary from 1953 to 1957/8. Played football on Digby Ave. Only names I can remember are Roger Street, Tony Spencer, John Wardle, and the first girl I ever fancied Wendy Grimes hahaha. I then went to Gedling. And became a motor cycle fanatic........... and still am. Hahaha. 

Good old Wendy Grimes..........never forget a girl with a name like that Edgar..............lol

• Like 1
9 hours ago, EDGAR JESSOP said:

I went to Hazel Hurst Prep School, then Plains Road Primary from 1953 to 1957/8. 

There must have been 2 prep schools in the area at that time.  I went to Astenholme Preparatory School at the top of Westdale Lane when I was 4 in 1947.  It was run by a Miss Lee

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Mapperley Plains Primary from about 1952 to 1958

I remember the outside toilets and the cricket stumps marked on the wall, the long walks to play football at Digby Avenue and the walks back (sometimes through the hedge at the back and over the fields)

I remember most of the teachers already mentioned and would add Mrs Gretton ( her son Steven was in my class), Mr Taylor ( his son Newby was in my class as well) and when Mr Heal replaced Mr Smith as headmaster his daughter (Sally I think) was in my class

I also remember the fancy dress parade which was shown in an earlier post but I wasn’t on the picture

People I can remember from my class

Philip Ward

John Hearson

Johnny Day

David Drew

John and Joan Wardle (twins whose father owned the garage on Plains Road)

Angela Lakin

I ought to remember more but it’s a long time ago

I think  Socram was in the year above me

• Like 1
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:35 PM, MargieH said:

Did Marian O'Dwyer have long black hair?  I think I went to ballet with her.   She lived on Melbury Road

Indeed she did.  At netball, she was goal shooter for the 'other team' and I was goal defence in PE lessons. She was a fair bit taller than me back then, but I could out jump her!  I posted on the ACHS thread a panoramic photograph of Bramcote Grammar and Marian was definitely on that. I have a memory that her mother was Egyptian and she had a younger sister - Shani?

Marian was quite mature for her age and quite a beauty in an exotic way!  A few doors away on Melbury was Mary Brader, another who I think went to ACHS.

I might have a photograph of FoxR's class, with Mrs Williamson and Mr Heal somewhere (with cousin Alyson Piggin) and will try and remember to scan it and post it here.  Might jog a few memories. We never had a class photograph as it was always individual portraits - more's the pity, but it did keep Dad and his staff at H Tempest Ltd working.  

Mr Taylor (Newby's Dad) was a relief teacher I think, certainly when we were there. 

Only in our last year, or so, or maybe in Mrs Williamson's year, did we get a Monday morning swimming lesson at Arnold baths.  Gee, it was cold and I hated it!  Managed my 25 yards on the second attempt but couldn't stand the water in my somewhat tender eyes - and still can't. 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Not sure who you are C22s Tailgate!  Give us a clue!

Andy Wood, along with John Williamson and myself were all three Queens Scouts through the 110th Mapperley Senior Scouts.  Andy Wood was my age (24th March birthday as I recall!!!) and had an older brother, John and a younger brother and sister. Simon & Jane.  Dad (Paul) had EMSEG signs - who at one stage were located above H Tempests, School Photographers, in the Meadows.  Andy drove us to the Queens Scout ceremony at Gilwell Park and that was the first time I'd been on the M1 motorway.

Andy & John went to CLW as did John Luff and Suzette Fetcher, who lived on Haywood Road.  There were others, but I can't remember who else went to CLW. 

I remember John Luff and John Williamson from Carlton-le-Willows although they were a few years older than me.  John Williamson has been a (primary school?) headmaster.  

• 1 month later...

Andy Wood (also CLW) was Best Man at John Williamson's wedding at St Judes.  Just came across some photographs my mum took.

JW & AW were also founder members/participants in the first ever combined Scout & Guide camp held at Elton 1963.

Interesting about Suzette Fletcher.   Last time I saw her was at Syd's Garage on the corner of Haywood Rd about 1968.  (I think she used to live on Haywood Road).  I thought she said she had moved to Birmingham.  

By 1968 she may have moved to Birmingham. If we are talking about the same Susie Fletcher her husband, Robert Bastow, died at a very young age, not long after they were married. We were all a bit surprised about the union as he was very public school and she was a bit more 'down to earth'. Nice girl though!

• 11 months later...

Not sure of the year but I only recognise 3 faces plus Mr Heal.

Back row 4th from right - Simon Wood.  Youngest of the Wood clan. I'm guessing at 1960 but would welcome a confirmation.

Front row, second left Timothy?  lived at the top of Gorse Hill. 

Front row 7th left, Lynne Mason, younger sister of Pete Mason.  Lynne helped me with the 110th Cubs.  Parents were very supportive of the scouts.  

160_school.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Around 60 years ago I left (or should that be graduated!) from Mapperley Plains County Primary School.  Don't remember much apart from football and sports days which took place on the field at Digby College.  In the summer holiday before going to secondary school , I ventured out to the said field where the new intake at MPCP were being taught how to play football by I think Mr Garwood.  

Seeing me leaning on the fence he asked if I wanted to help and so I was given a group of keen youngsters, most of them unfamiliar with the 'beautiful game' and instructed to sort them into two teams and get a match going.  The first task was to arrange the players into some sort of formation e.g. defence, midfield, forwards etc.  So far so good, now, time to blow the whistle!  What happened next was unforgettable,  the boys didn't all chase the ball which would have been expected instead , and you have to picture this , after they'd kicked the ball they returned to their starting positions,  football, it's a funny old game isn't it?

• Like 2

At that age, the little lads usually all try to get possession of the ball - no teamwork - making it look like 'bees round a honeypot', moving round the field together.   I don't like professional football but watching this always makes me laugh...

14 minutes ago, MargieH said:

At that age, the little lads usually all try to get possession of the ball - no teamwork 

The noble art of kick and rush, Margie. Believe me, it's not confined to young lads. Grown men playing 5 or 7 a side can give them a good run for their money.

• 3 weeks later...

Good story Paradiddle!  Probably why you never graduated to be a coach.

Walking home from Digby Avenue covered in mud and probably cold and wet, wasn't much fun either. Having to replace the leather nogs on the boots, cleaning the boots and then giving them a coating of Dubbin and Dubbin the leather football - lost arts?  Mending a puncture in the football and lacing it up again wasn't much fun either.

As a goalkeeper, at least heading the ball and getting the lacing on the forehead wasn't an issue, but holding on to a wet slippery ball was.  Remember the goalkeeper's woollen jersey was usually green in those days. mine certainly was. 

I remember winter time, we often had a slide in the icy playground, so asking to be excused during lesson time and a trip to those outside toilets, was often an excuse for an extra slide!  No doubt today's Health and Safety would have them banned.

• 4 months later...
On 1/13/2018 at 9:53 PM, mikede said:

Outside toilet block with cricket stumps painted on the wall I seem to remember.... we went to school with football kit on under normal clothes and "changed" in the cloakroom before walking down to Digby.....Teachers..... Mr Teesdale....Mrs Williamson.....Miss King (!!!)

Teesdale was Head - wooden leg? Gave me the cane for strewing stones. Mrs williamson - last class of primary school - lots of creative writing, basket weaving, clay poe=ttery - I remember the heads some blew up in the kiln. Miss King - hit me on the hand with the side of the ruler. Was she the one that collected the milk caps?

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2020 at 12:07 PM, Winnie6664 said:

Teesdale was Head - wooden leg? Gave me the cane for strewing stones. 

Snap!

Teesdale took over from Smith. A group of us got grassed by a class member, for nicking one grape each out of the harvest festival baskets due to go to local pensioners.

Only time I ever got caned. - at school anyway, though Mrs Williamson did whack me across the shoulders during a basketwork lesson, though I can't remember why.  

What was worse was that one of the class, who shall be nameless, told his mother about the 'stolen' grapes, who, when at our house, told my Mum that I was one who got caned. Mum exploded (she was very anti theft) and dragged me in from outside (Saturday afternoon) about 3pm, and laid into me with a hefty 18" wooden ruler. Early bed and no tea.  

• Like 1
On 8/8/2020 at 7:02 PM, Socram said:

Good story Paradiddle!  Probably why you never graduated to be a coach.

Walking home from Digby Avenue covered in mud and probably cold and wet, wasn't much fun either. Having to replace the leather nogs on the boots, cleaning the boots and then giving them a coating of Dubbin and Dubbin the leather football - lost arts?  Mending a puncture in the football and lacing it up again wasn't much fun either.

As a goalkeeper, at least heading the ball and getting the lacing on the forehead wasn't an issue, but holding on to a wet slippery ball was.  Remember the goalkeeper's woollen jersey was usually green in those days. mine certainly was. 

I remember winter time, we often had a slide in the icy playground, so asking to be excused during lesson time and a trip to those outside toilets, was often an excuse for an extra slide!  No doubt today's Health and Safety would have them banned.

And then there was that metal play equipment! No softball under it - just asphalt or concrete. We used to climb over it without thinking. 

• Like 1