Classic Old Films On TV.

There are several old classic films on Talking Pictures Channel during the next 7 days.

Saturday Jan 13th - 10pm - A Taste of Honey.

Tuesday Jan 16th - 11.30pm - Room At The Top

Thursday Jan 18th - 11.20pm - Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

Friday Jan 19th - 11.30pm - Room At The Top.

Talking Pictures TV

Freeview 81

Feesat 305

Sky 343

Virgin 445

• Like 4
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are several old classic films on Talking Pictures Channel during the next 7 days.   Saturday Jan 13th - 10pm - A Taste of Honey. Tuesday Jan 16th - 11.30pm - Room At The Top

Probably because of all the money that it is so bad.  I rarely watch it any more even the news is a bad joke revolving around celebrity presstitutes. . You rarely hear real news story anymore. Just pr

If anyone wants to see these old films go on the dreaded youtube , there are hundreds of complete old films on there for you to watch, me I am sad enough to go onto it regularly and watch them.  

Ugh! 1960s British kitchen sink, 'reality' films. When I, and many others, went to the cinema we went to get away from real life and lose ourselves in a different world, sometimes a fantasy world. Why people wanted to pay money to see the seedy side of life, which perhaps was the only life some of them knew, I will never know. Thankfully these types of films quickly had their day, though perhaps now perpetuated in TV dramas.

Yes, I went to see Saturday Night and Sunday Morning when it came out, but I was only interested in the scenes of Nottingham. I thought nothing of the story.

Talking Pics is terrific.  They show some great old Classics as well as some truly terrible (so bad they are good..) old Turkeys. Everything from low grade 50s 'sci-fi'.. ( The Strange World of Planet X), to some of those awful pop films of the late 50s/early 60s featuring such 'crazy cats' as Mark Wynter and Jess Conrad.  Also some pretty embarrassing old 40s and 50s 'B' movies.

Something for everybody... I love it! :):)

Another Channel which has recently appeared on my telly is 'PBS America'.  It shows some very interesting documentaries on a range of topics but seems to be doing a lot of Aircraft stuff at present.  Also they recently showed the whole of Ken Burns' classic documentary series on Jazz, in back to back episodes.  Sadly I missed the first couple of episodes, but I'll get it next time around....

Col

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This might be of interest.....

A bit short notice, but today (31st Jan) on Talking Pictures at 4pm is "Live it up" from 1963.  The cast includes Heinz, David Hemmings, Steve Marriott, Dave Clark, Kenny Ball, Sounds Incorporated, the Outlaws (Ritchie Blackmore), Gene Vincent......and Peter Glaze (Crackerjack), Ed Deveraux (Skippy).

• Like 1

Enjoyed watching 'Live it up'. Made the year i left school. I had a bit of a crush on Heinz, especially when he sang the song titled 'Just Like Eddie'. Gosh, did we all dress like that and I can honestly say that we put a bit more effort into the twist than they did. Loved it though, even if it was dated and corny. Nearly missed 'Dave Clark' unless he came on again while I left the room for a minute. Jennifer Moss was sweet when she sang 'Please Let It Happen To Me'. She played Lucille Hewitt  in Coronation Street for a few years. Sadly she died at the young age of 61 in 2006.

I watched most of it and it was better than many similar offerings.

What surprised me most was the relatively major part played by Steve Marriott (Small Faces). I'd forgotten that he was a child actor before his musical life, and watching him often reminded me of Jack Wild.  And as an actor he was definitely better than Heinz. 

I have Freeview, loads of channels and they are always being added to. But I do not have Channel 81 Talking Pictures.  Anyone know why?

I don't know about your specific problem, Chulla, but these electronic computer controlled devices often benefit from a periodic "factory reset" and a re-tune to remove any accumulated garbage and to allow the introduction of new data.

• Like 1

There was a retune message recently on mine to do with talking pictures. As Jonab says a factory reset or retune may sort it. Be careful if you have a PVR that you don't delete any recordings you want to keep.

40 minutes ago, denshaw said:

Have you tried hitting it with a big ammer ?

Don't you mean a four pound short-handled fine tuning device? If you're going to offer professional advice, always borrow from their handbook.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Chulla said:

I have Freeview, loads of channels and they are always being added to. But I do not have Channel 81 Talking Pictures.  Anyone know why?

Somewhere on the set-up menus on your television will be an option to "Re-scan" or "Retune" or "Update".  Click on it and Talking Pictures should appear.

19 hours ago, carni said:

Enjoyed watching 'Live it up'. Made the year i left school. I had a bit of a crush on Heinz, especially when he sang the song titled 'Just Like Eddie'. Gosh, did we all dress like that and I can honestly say that we put a bit more effort into the twist than they did. Loved it though, even if it was dated and corny. Nearly missed 'Dave Clark' unless he came on again while I left the room for a minute. Jennifer Moss was sweet when she sang 'Please Let It Happen To Me'. She played Lucille Hewitt  in Coronation Street for a few years. Sadly she died at the young age of 61 in 2006.

Carni, you must have missed my deeply penetrating and perceptive 'Review' of 'Live It Up' a few weeks back in the 'Enjoying owt... etc. '  thread  ...:laugh:

Col

Chulla: We have only recently been able to receive Talking Pictures, after an upgrade to our local transmitter/relay station but what a great channel it is!  you will have to retune your set in order to watch it though.

Thanks all. Have re-tuned and got it now. Is there a list of forthcoming films that you can look at?

Did anyone else notice when Saturday Night & Sunday Morning was on a few weeks ago, a small appearance by Peter Sallis of Last of the Summer Wine fame. It was early on in the film in the pub scenes. 

55 minutes ago, Chulla said:

Thanks all. Have re-tuned and got it now. Is there a list of forthcoming films that you can look at?

Not sure Dave.

We've got  the Virgin 'Skinflint' package and in the Programme Guide, you can scroll forward and backwards in time for at least a good few days, identify what you like and set the 'Tivo' box to record future events or get missed stuff on 'Catch Up'.  To be honest I'm not impressed with the Tivo Box as it is painfully slow to do anything and Virgin's Catch Up service is.. err, how can I put it...  errr crap. 

Virgin now have a better alternative to the Tivo Box, which I'm going to get ASAP.  Supposed to be much better.

We also have an old Humax box which doesn't get much use, but I think that does similar.

P.S. Just found it!!!   It's all online on that Interwebnet thingy.. Here's the link:   http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/schedule/

Col

4 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Carni, you must have missed my deeply penetrating and perceptive 'Review' of 'Live It Up' a few weeks back in the 'Enjoying owt... etc. '  thread  ...:laugh:

Very sorry DJ, I must say I still haven't got the hang of the forum properly. Must have missed your post with the film review. I agree it was 'cheap and tacky' but i'm happy with 'cheap and tacky' now and then. :biggrin:

No apology necessary Carni and I too like cheap and tacky..  :)