Classic Old Films On TV.

Thanks Col, or the link to the listings. Have to say that out of the many films listed there are not many that I could recommend. Some very good Laurel and Hardys, but the one that caught my eye was the Steve McQueen film The Sand Pebbles. Haven't seen this on TV for years. What makes it interesting to us blokes, and especially NBL I suspect, is the very unusual gun he has.  Michael Redgrave's Thunder Rock is worth a gleg.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are several old classic films on Talking Pictures Channel during the next 7 days.   Saturday Jan 13th - 10pm - A Taste of Honey. Tuesday Jan 16th - 11.30pm - Room At The Top

Probably because of all the money that it is so bad.  I rarely watch it any more even the news is a bad joke revolving around celebrity presstitutes. . You rarely hear real news story anymore. Just pr

If anyone wants to see these old films go on the dreaded youtube , there are hundreds of complete old films on there for you to watch, me I am sad enough to go onto it regularly and watch them.  

3 hours ago, Chulla said:

Thanks Col, or the link to the listings. Have to say that out of the many films listed there are not many that I could recommend. Some very good Laurel and Hardys, but the one that caught my eye was the Steve McQueen film The Sand Pebbles. Haven't seen this on TV for years. What makes it interesting to us blokes, and especially NBL I suspect, is the very unusual gun he has.  Michael Redgrave's Thunder Rock is worth a gleg.

You're welcome Dave.  I  didn't spot The Sand Pebbles... when's it on?   Saw it on the cinema and as I recall it is very violent and gory.

I think the thing with Talking Pics is that you get a mix.  A lot of dross, a few genuinely fine pictures and a few that are just nostalgic, or fall into the 'so bad it's good/funny' category. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

You're welcome Dave.  I  didn't spot The Sand Pebbles... when's it on?   Saw it on the cinema and as I recall it is very violent and gory.

I think the thing with Talking Pics is that you get a mix.  A lot of dross, a few genuinely fine pictures and a few that are just nostalgic, or fall into the 'so bad it's good/funny' category. 

The Sand Pebbles is on Monday 12th Feb at 23.15 and on Saturday 17th at 20.00.

Also of interest I have found: The Night My Number Came Up, a heartstopping nail-biter if ever there were one. On tomorrow at mid-day. Another is The Browning Version. There is a scene in this film played by Michael Redgrave which to my mind is the finest piece of acting I have ever seen on a screen by a man. It is where a teacher tells him the nick-name that the pupils of the school call him. 

Yesterday I watched a film I'd recorded from TP.  It was 'Behemoth the Sea Monster'. I wanted to see it because I remember going to watch it in 1959 when I was sweet sixteen.  I went with a boyfriend who was a year younger than me and I remember the evening not particularly because of the film but because, a gang of older boys surrounded us as we walked home and started pushing him around.  He didn't respond to the gang (I liked that!) and we managed to walk away.  This happened outside the Catholic Church on Thackerays Lane and we'd been to the cinema on the road opposite the Vine.

Btw, when I watched the film yesterday I thought it  was wonderfully awful if you know what I mean!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, MargieH said:

Yes, NBL it was the Roxy now that you mention it...

I used to live on Park Road just behind the Catholic Church. I rember well the Roxy cinema, just a short walk away. There was a Masonic Lodge just next to the Roxy. The masons have long gone but I’m not sure if the building still stands - off to Google Earth!

They’ve both gone. All houses there now.

So...where were the Skegness scenes filmed for the Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner?

I know the main scenes were taken at Ruxton Towers in Surrey but I didn't recognise the sand dune scenes.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched "The Black Pit" starring William "Shhhh....you know who.." Franklin, Nanette Newman and a young Anthony Booth last night. Recorded it on "talking Pictures" a week or two ago.  Turned out to be quite a good film.

• Like 1

Two films on Film 4 that are worth a gleg. Think I might have plugged them in the past, but never mind, you probably took no notice of me last time.

Wednesday 11.00 am. In a Lonely Place, starring Humphrey Bogart and the delightful, sultry Gloria Graham. A romance story about a Hollywood screenwriter that has a dark undertone.

Thursday 11.00 am. The Bedford Incident. Probably the best Cold War film, starring Richard Widmark. Be prepared for a totally unexpected ending.

1 hour ago, sue B 48 said:

Thanks for that Cliff Ton, that's a late night for me tomorrow.

1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

10:30 A.M. If I read it correctly sue B. :)

Quite right !!!   It's Thursday MORNING, so don't blame me if you miss it......

Doesn't anyone record the TV shows they wish to retain - or watch at a later time if the broadcast hour is inconvenient?

I watch very little TV as I consider most of it utter rubbish (if you think UK TV is bad, try the French stations or, even worse, Tele Monte Carlo) but I do have the facility to record anything I might want on to DVD or a hard drive. The machine is hardly ever used!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, jonab said:

I watch very little TV as I consider most of it utter rubbish (if you think UK TV is bad, try the French stations or, even worse, Tele Monte Carlo) 

I watch very little TV and also find most of the programmes utter dross but I do enjoy Factual and News programmes.  

Regarding the TV service in France Jonab, when we had a property down there we had a separate satellite dish  installed, picking up UK channels and that worked just fine most of the time, reception got scrambled now and again but Monsieur Stevens (English name but very French) would get up on the roof and twiddle with the dish, then charge us 100 euros.   The only English speaking radio channel we found was Riviera Radio, based in Monte Carlo. Trouble was they only had about a dozen records to play! 

• Upvote 1

I can get most European channels, including the UK, via satellite. There is a dish for the whole village. Trouble is that most are bad - it's just the degree of badness. The channel I watch most is BBC.com online. That is approximately equivalent to the BBC News Channel in the UK (I think)

Regarding Tele Monte Carlo (and Riviera Radio) it is bad beyond description. You would think that with all the money there is around there they would be able to do something better than they do.

Probably because of all the money that it is so bad.  I rarely watch it any more even the news is a bad joke revolving around celebrity presstitutes. :(. You rarely hear real news story anymore. Just propaganda to suit the big corporations.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Too many repeats, and banal reality progs, and the only 'dramas' are so called psychological things, with no meaty storyline.

The so called comedies are either childish pap, or schoolboy smut. I watch a lot of the documentaries and the History  channel, and also embark on more reading.

• Like 1

The only repeats I do record for viewing are the unsurpassable Waking The Dead, The Coroner, Father Brown, Frasier, Last of the Summer Wine, and Ice Road Truckers. The rest...... Yawn...ZZZZZZZZZ