Whilst working in China I came across this pearl of wisdom, which if you think about it most likely true.

"The only thing that Chinese don't eat that flies is an aeroplane"

"The only thing that Chinese don't eat that swims is a submarine"

Didn't some restaurant in Birmingham get fined 50 grand for poor hygiene part of which was serving food on wooden boards which the health inspectors said could not be adequately cleaned.

Plates what ever don't bother me But!!! I don't like drinking coffee out of soup bowl's apart from  not being able to get your finger in the handle which is very difficult if you have Arthur in your fingers so have to use two hands to hold the cup (soup bowl) also plastic Glass's I don't like to drink out of these and last, but not least paper cup's with the lids on, when you first get your drink in these and try to have a drink from that little hole how many of you have burnt you mouth, (talk about Health and Safety and saving the environment) are we not going backwards

Using dead flat items such as planks of wood or slate roof tiles is beyond stupid. The first designer of a plate was very clever and had the forethought to raise the edges of said item so that any liquids (gravy, cream etc.) would be retained on the plate instead of running down the user's chest or all over the table.

Regarding drinking coffee from soup bowls - I think the idea is that you get a large portion in one filling. What isn't taken into account is that the large surface area means that the drink cools down much more quickly. Not one of France's (tass dejeuner* - breakfast cup) better ideas but not being able to get your fingers in the handle is a common design fault - style over functionality - and it is normal to drink from these holding with two hands. No risk of burning - the drink is cold before you can even get to it. A square mug is much better and efficient at retaining heat. By "square" here I mean a mug whose diameter matches the height.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, jonab said:

Using dead flat items such as planks of wood or slate roof tiles is beyond stupid. 

The real issue I've got with presenting food on a wooden board is this - how good is the washing up? I would have thought crockery (provided it's not chipped) is more hygienic, at least in a public eatery.

• Like 1

I remember sizzlers being on an extremely hot cast iron dish which, in turn, was carried on a wooden plank. There was no contact of food and wood. The plank was needed to prevent the waiter getting third-degree burns and also to avoid setting light to the table and its cloth.

From a hygiene aspect, the iron dish approached the ideal. It was so hot that there was no change of anything dangerous being left alive on it.

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...