Nosatalgia, what's it about?

So, what is nostalgia all about?  Do we always recall the pleasant things about the past or do some recall the less pleasing aspects of the past too?  Me? I love the past but like so many others....I tend to dwell mostly on the better parts of it. I would love to be able to go back in time to my old town (Nottinhgam) for a holiday and take photos and careful notes of everything because at the time we don't imagine that one day it will all be changed.  Don't get me wrong though....I also enjoy the present and look forward to the future - I just wish I could re-visit some of the past with current knowledge and of course, current finances.

• Like 2

What's nostalgic to me is, seeing buildings knocked down that were being built in my youth. I then think, ode on, I must be getting old. And I know I'm getting old because the hair in my ear's is growing faster than the hair on me ed !!

I often wonder if anyone is taking photos of Nottingham and other cities/places which will become the “picture the past” database of the future? A lot of people seem to take photos on their phones nowadays, which are probably lost when they swap phones.

I started to find old photos online, and then go and take a modern shot of the same scene, the criteria being that there should be some object recognisable in both photos.

Wonder if PTP would be interested in my modern shots?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AfferGorritt said:

I often wonder if anyone is taking photos of Nottingham and other cities/places which will become the “picture the past” database of the future?

I've been doing that for a long time and many of mine are on there. However, Picture the Past are currently in suspended animation because the local authorities who were funding it have withdrawn their support. Attempts are being made to find alternative support (and hosting of the database) but I don't know if anything has yet been arranged.

There used to be a very profound graffito painted on one of the gas holders (gasometers) outside St Pancras Station in London (from where the Nottingham train departed) saying:

NOSTALGIA AIN'T WHAT IT USED TO BE

• Like 1
On 18/01/2018 at 1:44 AM, IAN123. said:

\snip\nuns cellotaping two 12" rulers together and belting me 'spine side up',

\snip\ Little Demon bangers\snip\

Here's your Little Demon bangers, Ian 123, but my favourite were the 3-2-1-Zero also made by Standard fireworks, although possibly not still made by the 70s.  What school did you go to? I ask because the Nuns also beat me at both junior and senior schools.

phORJNeyafoWtfOCRluLoK8aSShXJvk0IHkz5WbO 

ehcJ97wpCCktdnzF1khvzjcy2zlfrtqIfvp_WcPv

• Like 1

Ian123: Feck! I almost sent my kids to that school, thinking that they would get a premier education - perhaps it's a good job we moved before they could get a place - they had enough beatings from me and their mam!! :)

• Like 1