DaveN

Old Photos of the Meadows

My Mum grew up on Queens Grove, down The Meadows.  It wasn’t too lovely but most of the folk kept their homes clean and tidy, I often saw women scrubbing the front door steps when I went to visit my Granny who lived on the street until her death in 1965.  Just found this photo of my Mum (in dark jacket) and a friend which was taken in 1945.  Shame they didn’t have a prettier backdrop. I reckon somebody had just acquired a new camera because I’ve got pics of several family members all posing in that same spot, which is shown from a different angle on the Evening Post photo.  This building was in fact fronting Queens Walk, on the opposite corner to the Grove pub which is now The Vat & Fiddle.  

D4742758-_FC53-4_B8_B-_AD16-27_E89_AF39_

• Like 6

I have just added some photos to a new site, my dad was from the Meadows  and they were photos of when he was at school Bosworth road school, when he played football for the Wilford Road football team and a photo of the family one out side no 4 Headon Terrace Bottom Wilford road 

The new site is called "I'm from the Meadows and proud of it" 

If any member would like to see photos I will try and put them on this site. Don't hold your breath!

• Like 1

Cider, Cidre, Cyder all the same to me BUT Peveril Peril is your man for all things Cider !

• Like 1

Seen this before somewhere, Brierley st springs to mind. Tall chimney in the background.

• Like 1

It's Briar st 1973 , thanks to picture the past.

• Like 1

Do you think they will need a window cleaner?

My Aunt lived on/in Briar terrace.

A cleaner full stop would be a start!!

I like that photo. There are 5 kids playing in the muck, entertaining themselves with only rubbish to play in. Shaggy rug on the line. Push down pegs holding the jumper on the line, they didn't half make marks in your clothes. The old Lab out loose, the porter's trolley completely out of place, buildings awaiting demolition, and there sits a nice bike.

• Like 2

Is it a Raleigh Katy?  thumbsup

Rog

More than likely, bought on the never-never. 

• Like 1

The buildings don't want demolishing they are ripe for improvement, if they were modernised with all facilities inside they would make better homes and better community than the  latest "town houses". They were built with more style than the ones now. I must agree that it is a great photograph, thanks for putting it on.

• Like 1

Trogg is right..my Grandmother had a fine 3 bedroom bay windowed house on Bloomsgrove Street..with little garden...if the row of houses all had 2 storey extentions..scullery knocked to make a kitchen and bathroom on top- a fine family dwelling..they moved her to a dump behind The Moulders.

Same on Gill and Hampden st. also Cranmer st..but kept houses of the same nature on Villa rd etc..

The Meadows and St.Anns needed redevelopment...but built modern slums. A fine balance is no doubt not easy.

Another angle of Raymond Cox shop .

Trent Bridge Footway/ Crocus St.

deab81af8733fb8eac3ad3304b6d13f4--crocus

• Like 1