Old Photos of the Meadows

My Mum grew up on Queens Grove, down The Meadows.  It wasn’t too lovely but most of the folk kept their homes clean and tidy, I often saw women scrubbing the front door steps when I went to visit my Granny who lived on the street until her death in 1965.  Just found this photo of my Mum (in dark jacket) and a friend which was taken in 1945.  Shame they didn’t have a prettier backdrop. I reckon somebody had just acquired a new camera because I’ve got pics of several family members all posing in that same spot, which is shown from a different angle on the Evening Post photo.  This building was in fact fronting Queens Walk, on the opposite corner to the Grove pub which is now The Vat & Fiddle.  

D4742758-_FC53-4_B8_B-_AD16-27_E89_AF39_

• Like 5

I have just added some photos to a new site, my dad was from the Meadows  and they were photos of when he was at school Bosworth road school, when he played football for the Wilford Road football team and a photo of the family one out side no 4 Headon Terrace Bottom Wilford road 

The new site is called "I'm from the Meadows and proud of it" 

If any member would like to see photos I will try and put them on this site. Don't hold your breath!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you think they will need a window cleaner?

My Aunt lived on/in Briar terrace.

I like that photo. There are 5 kids playing in the muck, entertaining themselves with only rubbish to play in. Shaggy rug on the line. Push down pegs holding the jumper on the line, they didn't half make marks in your clothes. The old Lab out loose, the porter's trolley completely out of place, buildings awaiting demolition, and there sits a nice bike.

• Like 2

The buildings don't want demolishing they are ripe for improvement, if they were modernised with all facilities inside they would make better homes and better community than the  latest "town houses". They were built with more style than the ones now. I must agree that it is a great photograph, thanks for putting it on.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

Wow, not too many people would admit to burglary on  a public forum and present it as something clever to do. I wonder who the accomplices were..

• Upvote 2

Dee da, dee da, dee da, never mind Ian,i think they have wifi in prison. So you should still be able to post some good stuff. Just send me a visiting order and will visit, if not too far.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

No probs waddo...there are some boring tossers on here!

Ian, I warned you privately a few weeks back if you persist with this attitude I will ban you permanently. CEASE attacking other members, it will NOT be tolerated.

I'm very reluctant to ban anyone, so YOU could well be the first.

CEASE AND DESIST or your gone.

LAST WARNING!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm not deleting anything Ian, it stands to show your attitude to other members, you are on you last warning, I won't comment further, either stop flaming other members, your last chance...End of comments.

• Upvote 1

Ian, I think your posts are very interesting for a great deal of people on here, I for one.  Carry on posting that's what NT is all about.

• Like 8

Notts folk,especially Meadows folk/St Anns folk/Sneinton folk/Bulwell are/were well know for saying it how it is,does this have to change now? if so do we have to give up our identity?

Some people have skin thinner than a jelly fish

Rog

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Well I've just had another post deleted, nothing abusive or flaming,in fact it was a quote from a post from 2007 by flat-cap-driver,funny how its sat there all these years yet as soon as it's quoted it gets deleted within 5 minutes of being posted,ah well if the site only wants snowflakes and goody two shoes why not write it in the rules:rulez:

Rog

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Ian, I warned you privately a few weeks back if you persist with this attitude I will ban you permanently. CEASE attacking other members, it will NOT be tolerated.

I'm very reluctant to ban anyone, so YOU could well be the first.

CEASE AND DESIST or your gone.

LAST WARNING!!

John,surely those comments should be sent in a PM not on an open forum for the world to see, I'ts what my grandmother used to call "Airing your dirty washing in public"

Rog

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1