I've got nothing against sports and those who enjoy them.  It does seem though, that no matter where you go taxpayer money's are used to support sports of one kind or another.  Here we even have large chunks of stadiums with their hand in the taxpayers pocket.  There are many other worthy endeavors in our cities that don't get a dime.  As far as I'm concerned let those who enjoy such things put their own money into them.

• Like 1

That won't matter, the council have load's of money to waste. The replacements will probably be made in bronze!

2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

It does seem though, that no matter where you go taxpayer money's are used to support sports of one kind or another.  

Its funny that you say that, me personally always thought the opposite. If the government spent money on sports, as other countries did, we might have more of a selection come Olympic time or indeed any major sporting event. Instead of relying on one individual to bring home the Bacon.

That really would the Elephant in the room wouldn't it?  :biggrin:

Waddo..  I see your point regarding sports.  I think my main concern, as is Phil's, is money wasted on infrastructure that would be better provided by those who want such items rather than the general kitty.  From my experience of the horsey set they seem to have no shortage of money for their sport.

We have a good symphony orchestra here in Athens.  The players play for free and occasionally give free concerts.  The support comes from private donors and businesses along with the concerts they do charge admittance for.  Not from the public purse.  If one likes rock and roll there are bands that play concerts but as far as I know their money comes from admission fees.

Ian...Based on what Phil says they probably won't be there long enough to to get named.

• Like 1

As you know I'm not well up on the rock scene, but I know R.E.M came out of Athens with another not quite so well known group called Widespread Panic.  The University of Ga is here so there is a big music scene.

• Like 1

Thanks Ian.  I've heard mention of those other groups now you bring it up.  I never realized so many got their start here.

My keyboard skills are still elementary.  I've got a long way to go and probably don't have enough time left.

Hounds are fine.  Ornery as ever, but enjoyable to be around.  :)

• Like 1

Looking forwards to seeing them. I am pleased that the council are not a completely dour and unimaginative lot. On the way to our village from Nottingham we pass through the cattle market and racecourse town of Uttoxeter. We are made welcome to Uttoxeter by a lovely bronze, larger than life bull on the first roundabout, then a horse on the roundabout to the racecourse. Uttoxeter is not a boring little town but some would have Nottinghan to be a boring city.

Apparently the horses have been financed by the racecourse with a “contribution” from the Council, so not so bad then. They’re made from cast iron so not really worth stealing. Just got to wait for the graffiti artists to make them piebald. They will probably be surrounded by Armco barriers for those who misjudge the road!

• Like 1