Can be used at all times of day. You get the discount on whatever ticket is valid for travel at that time. Also applies to special discounted tickets on rail company web sites.

I use mine a lot. I probably spend more on train travel than I otherwise would, as individual journeys are cheaper so I travel by train more. Gets me out and about more though, which is a good thing.

Had one each for a good few years, and worth every penny. We are fortunate in Greater Manchester to be able to use our bus pass for free travel on the Metrolink tram service, and on train journeys within the GM area.

I have a Senior Railcard which I've only used twice this year, but it's already paid for itself.

Well worth having.  If I recall it costs about £30.  You can save that on one journey.  Only yesterday I booked a return trip to Bristol for the Bristol Sound and Vision Show. I saved a third of the already quite low fare of £60 I got via 'Split Ticketing.com' So it's cost me £40.

Well worth looking at split ticketing.  My journey to Bristol  from Wigan will always involve a change at Birmingham, so we can ignore that.  With split ticketng, I have a single ticket to Birmingham. Then a single from Brmingham to Cheltenham.  Next, a return from Cheltenham to Bristol ( I stay on the same train..)  Then use the other half of the return from Bristol to Cheltenham and stay on the train using a single Cheltenham to Birmingham.  Change at Birmingham and a single to Stafford.  Change at Stafford and a single to Wigan.  Only about 10 minutes lost during changes.  You can't beat it!

Col

• Like 1

I increasingly find life complicated...............Oyster cards......pension passes,........touch screens.....pay for parking with mobile.....cut and paste ?.........whats it all about ?.......................................Alfie............carnie.........lol

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Waddo said:

That sounds like hard work, I'll just use the car.

I like trains and I have plenty of time.  :)  As it happens, today I have booked from Wigan to Nottingham for a family meeting/lunch in a couple of weeks time.  Return, price £20.  Journey times maybe 30-40 minutes longer than in the car.  ( And that's assuming no hold ups on the M6.. a big assumption these days.)

And.. about half the cost of the petrol for a car trip....  :)

And....  I can have a couple of pints with my meal...  ;)

Win win...

• Like 5

whats it all about ?.......................................Alfie.

Is it just for the moment we live. :biggrin:

I spent so many weekends travelling on the old Chuff Chuffs backwards and forwards to Nottm/Wton for nearly three years as you know. Not always comfortable, very often cold and late also a bit scary if the train was one of those where once the door was closed and the train moving, you were pretty much confined in the compartment, hoping you weren't with a murderer or summat!

Today I had to spread my germs and travel to B-ham. Neither of us was up to driving so we travelled by rail. I have decided I like trains now. The journey both ways was so comfortable, warm and clean, exactly on time and remarkably quiet. I think we are going to try a few train trips this summer. Can't wait.:biggrin:

• Like 5