Drop in the ocean.............anyway whats it matter if you out in the sticks?

That's quite alright Phil, the Nottingham Council Tax payers will absorb that loss again like they have done every year since the tram returned. Perhaps Nottingham residents will begin to realise why the motorist in this city is hammered with crippling car parking charges & gestapo type traffic enforcement. Also another council tax rise soon.

1 minute ago, benjamin1945 said:

Drop in the ocean.............anyway whats it matter if you out in the sticks?

Like you do Ben, if you paid NCC council tax you might think differently.

I still take an interest. I came into town today and admired the trams. If you live close to the lines they’re wonderful. I remember those things called buses that could go right up into the estates to collect passengers. What a good idea they were. Never caught on though. As you say I’m in the sticks and we don’t even have a bus without a two mile walk. The joys of rural life.

• Like 1

Catfan we are ripped off at every turn           the working man pays for everything       no chance of off shore bank accounts as someone said on here......i ran a business from Bulwell for a lot of years employing up to 150 people    and did everything right  what a Prat i was...........

No excuse to roll over to the council's ransom demands though Ben, enough is enough, if your council levied a charge to fund the tram there would be a public outcry.

Just think how many new affordable houses could have been built in Nottm instead of funding the tram .

Little wonder this city loses lots of potential shoppers now, instead buying online or driving to Derby or Leicester instead to do the shopping.

What tw... we are 'affordable houses are built then sold to greedy b......s who rent them out to poor b......s that can't afford the rent......ive known neighbours paying stupid rents to owners who live in exotic places who bought these affordable houses ,i'd make it illegal ,what chance have the young ones got,   read recently that 40% of council houses are now rented out at stupid prices,...Maggie as a lot to answer for.............

• Like 5

Work with a lovely bloke who pays around £800 per month for an ex council house in Aspley.......he has two kids and wife and only works so many hours because of his benefits must be wrong in so many ways,............

Sorry Ben I loved Maggie she allowed a lot of working class folk to own their own houses, people that would have had no chance 10 years earlier.

And you can tell the bloke he is being well ripped off, round here they go for £550-£600 and it's a much nicer area then Aspley.

• Upvote 1

Thats ok NBL..............Don't think Maggie envisaged what would happen.......i bought my council house and sold it to my daughter........and yes it seemed good at the time.....its now rented out at a truly horrendous price........sorry but it was wrong and affordable homes being built should be bought by people who need them not speculators .and should be written in law,

• Like 2

That's as maybe Ben, there should have been a law to stop private speculators.

But if we stop and think how far the working man has come in our life times we have a lot to be thankful for. When we go back to the 50s and 60s and the ordinary guy couldn't get a bank account never mind a mortgage, a Post Office savings account was about as far as we got back then.

If you try you will make some mistakes but if you don't try you get nowhere.

Don't agree mate..........but ill leave it there...........

Let's privatize............... Let's Nationalize..............................

The Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum of the last 50 years.

My mate was doing well subbing for Carillion and he is now bankrupt..............

The machinations of the rich will generally be at someone else's expense

• Like 2

Crazy Siddha               a company gets the contract to make a profit........then Sub it out to another company who make a profit.......what chance do little company's have ? who should have got the work directly in the first place.............i lost over £100,000 some years ago for the same reason...........pissed off you bet i am.............

• Like 1

Sub contracting is one of the reasons I got out of the haulage game, Back in the '80s when the blessed Margaret was doing her best to ruin us i tendered for a contract at a price that would make almost no profit but keep the wheels turning and men in work. I was undercut by K&M who, knowing they couldn't possibly make any money,  contacted me and others to offer the work, at their price less 10%. I leave it to your imagination what my reply was.

• Like 3

What a mess it all is my parents and grandparents would turn over in their graves if they knew to what extent the working man and woman continues to be exploited. The hard won optimism that emerged during the early 20th century has been squandered. Sadly we have taken our eye off the ball. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Brew said:

I leave it to your imagination what my reply was.

Was it something along the line's of, oh yes please, can I have the contract because I need to show a loss of earnings to the tax man?.

Close Waddo. It involved physical impossiblities, human orifces and imprecations about their parentage amongst others.

• Like 1

Damm, got it wrong again! OK let's have another game of "why the small business didn't survive" I will try harder next time to get the answer right.

• Like 1

Well the tram is currently losing £3 per passenger trip. Would it stand that sort of fare increase? Even now the “oldies” still ride for free. The auditors’ report states that there are doubts about the company’s ability to continue as a going concern. The company are talking to their lenders about partial refinancing. It looks like we may have a mini Carillion here. Ride it whilst you can! (If you’re a paying customer). Next there will be the cost of buying more buses. I could never understand the financial logic of the excercise. 

• Like 2

beeston & stapleford u.d.c. used direct labour for years had their own jcb ,jetter  gulley wagons etc were the richest council in the midlands railings were painted roads mended schools looked after had their own parks dept that grew their own bedding plants ,they payed the staff good wages too,now with privatised utilities to coin a phrase its a sh"73hole