• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I reckon you're next Fynger when they reinstall the route to Ripley! Then theres the GCR tunnels from weekday cross to gregory blvd and from there they can shut down all the shops in Sherwood maybe e

Trams would be ok if they had their own tracks, away from the public highway, so that if they broke down, as they do regularly, the traffic flow would be unaffected.. They could be called trains - or

My kids are grown up, so why should I pay anything towards education. Yes, it's a silly argument. If we all chose to pay for only the things we need or require, the country would be in utter turmoil.

My kids are grown up, so why should I pay anything towards education. Yes, it's a silly argument. If we all chose to pay for only the things we need or require, the country would be in utter turmoil. However, we all have our preferences and it's good that we have a relatively liberal site on which to air our views.

I don't like forking out for idle sloths to produce brats year in year out. I don't like paying out for foreign aid. I'm not over keen funding the work shy, the parasites, the feckless take take take society either. So, better roads, yes definitely !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Scenario - so if all and sundry were to have some sort of mental breakdown and use tram's instead of car's. And I mean nationally, where would the revenue generated now from car's come from? Hypothetical I know, but I would still like an answer!!

• Like 1

Armageddon, Judgement Day, a complete breakdown of 'society' as we know it ! 

Pin other words, the whole country would be in turmoil, flat broke and on Desolation Row. 

Well ! That's something to look forward to eh ? 

Off at a tangent, but I loath smokers, but at least they are paying tax towards the upkeep of society, but on the other hand, how many billions do they cost the NHS. Anyone know the relative figures ?

1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

how many billions do they cost the NHS. Anyone know the relative figures ?

As quoted a few months ago;  the government says it gets 12 billion from tobacco duty, and NHS spends 1 1/2 billion treating ailments related to smoking. Not a bad return by any standard.  

• Like 1

Not a regular user, but the only people to really benefit are probably the residents of Toton and surrounding areas, such as villages along the old A52. At least they're not endlessly queuing from Bardills Island all the way to Nottingham.

As far as I know, that other routes were already served by good bus services. Bulwell, Cinderhill, Hucknall, Clifton etc. Maybe any users could elaborate ! 

• Like 1

That's quite alright Phil, the Nottingham Council Tax payers will absorb that loss again like they have done every year since the tram returned. Perhaps Nottingham residents will begin to realise why the motorist in this city is hammered with crippling car parking charges & gestapo type traffic enforcement. Also another council tax rise soon.

1 minute ago, benjamin1945 said:

Drop in the ocean.............anyway whats it matter if you out in the sticks?

Like you do Ben, if you paid NCC council tax you might think differently.

I still take an interest. I came into town today and admired the trams. If you live close to the lines they’re wonderful. I remember those things called buses that could go right up into the estates to collect passengers. What a good idea they were. Never caught on though. As you say I’m in the sticks and we don’t even have a bus without a two mile walk. The joys of rural life.

• Like 1

Catfan we are ripped off at every turn           the working man pays for everything       no chance of off shore bank accounts as someone said on here......i ran a business from Bulwell for a lot of years employing up to 150 people    and did everything right  what a Prat i was...........

No excuse to roll over to the council's ransom demands though Ben, enough is enough, if your council levied a charge to fund the tram there would be a public outcry.

Just think how many new affordable houses could have been built in Nottm instead of funding the tram .

Little wonder this city loses lots of potential shoppers now, instead buying online or driving to Derby or Leicester instead to do the shopping.

What tw... we are 'affordable houses are built then sold to greedy b......s who rent them out to poor b......s that can't afford the rent......ive known neighbours paying stupid rents to owners who live in exotic places who bought these affordable houses ,i'd make it illegal ,what chance have the young ones got,   read recently that 40% of council houses are now rented out at stupid prices,...Maggie as a lot to answer for.............

• Like 5

Work with a lovely bloke who pays around £800 per month for an ex council house in Aspley.......he has two kids and wife and only works so many hours because of his benefits must be wrong in so many ways,............

Sorry Ben I loved Maggie she allowed a lot of working class folk to own their own houses, people that would have had no chance 10 years earlier.

And you can tell the bloke he is being well ripped off, round here they go for £550-£600 and it's a much nicer area then Aspley.

• Upvote 1

Thats ok NBL..............Don't think Maggie envisaged what would happen.......i bought my council house and sold it to my daughter........and yes it seemed good at the time.....its now rented out at a truly horrendous price........sorry but it was wrong and affordable homes being built should be bought by people who need them not speculators .and should be written in law,

• Like 2

That's as maybe Ben, there should have been a law to stop private speculators.

But if we stop and think how far the working man has come in our life times we have a lot to be thankful for. When we go back to the 50s and 60s and the ordinary guy couldn't get a bank account never mind a mortgage, a Post Office savings account was about as far as we got back then.

If you try you will make some mistakes but if you don't try you get nowhere.

Let's privatize............... Let's Nationalize..............................

The Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum of the last 50 years.

My mate was doing well subbing for Carillion and he is now bankrupt..............

The machinations of the rich will generally be at someone else's expense

• Like 2