Crazy Siddha               a company gets the contract to make a profit........then Sub it out to another company who make a profit.......what chance do little company's have ? who should have got the work directly in the first place.............i lost over £100,000 some years ago for the same reason...........pissed off you bet i am.............

• Like 1
  • Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I reckon you're next Fynger when they reinstall the route to Ripley! Then theres the GCR tunnels from weekday cross to gregory blvd and from there they can shut down all the shops in Sherwood maybe e

Trams would be ok if they had their own tracks, away from the public highway, so that if they broke down, as they do regularly, the traffic flow would be unaffected.. They could be called trains - or

My kids are grown up, so why should I pay anything towards education. Yes, it's a silly argument. If we all chose to pay for only the things we need or require, the country would be in utter turmoil.

Sub contracting is one of the reasons I got out of the haulage game, Back in the '80s when the blessed Margaret was doing her best to ruin us i tendered for a contract at a price that would make almost no profit but keep the wheels turning and men in work. I was undercut by K&M who, knowing they couldn't possibly make any money,  contacted me and others to offer the work, at their price less 10%. I leave it to your imagination what my reply was.

• Like 3

What a mess it all is my parents and grandparents would turn over in their graves if they knew to what extent the working man and woman continues to be exploited. The hard won optimism that emerged during the early 20th century has been squandered. Sadly we have taken our eye off the ball. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Brew said:

I leave it to your imagination what my reply was.

Was it something along the line's of, oh yes please, can I have the contract because I need to show a loss of earnings to the tax man?.

Close Waddo. It involved physical impossiblities, human orifces and imprecations about their parentage amongst others.

• Like 1

Damm, got it wrong again! OK let's have another game of "why the small business didn't survive" I will try harder next time to get the answer right.

• Like 1

Well the tram is currently losing £3 per passenger trip. Would it stand that sort of fare increase? Even now the “oldies” still ride for free. The auditors’ report states that there are doubts about the company’s ability to continue as a going concern. The company are talking to their lenders about partial refinancing. It looks like we may have a mini Carillion here. Ride it whilst you can! (If you’re a paying customer). Next there will be the cost of buying more buses. I could never understand the financial logic of the excercise. 

• Like 2

beeston & stapleford u.d.c. used direct labour for years had their own jcb ,jetter  gulley wagons etc were the richest council in the midlands railings were painted roads mended schools looked after had their own parks dept that grew their own bedding plants ,they payed the staff good wages too,now with privatised utilities to coin a phrase its a sh"73hole

According to Nottingham City Transport’s own website, in 1936 “the trams finally gave way to progression with the last tram running on 6th September”

So have we progressed backwards by bringing them back? Personally, I could never see the rationale in bringing them back. Fixed routes, serving a few, no flexibility, one breaks down and brings the whole line to a halt, fantastically expensive to build and maintain etc., etc ....

Was it just an ego trip for a few councillors wishing to leave their mark on history?

HS2 seems a similar project to me. A lot of expense to arrive in London a few minutes earlier. Mind you you’ll lose those few minutes by having to travel to the HS2 terminal!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

I think the original trams had points on the rails making them as flexible as trolleybuses, as I'm overseas and haven't seen the modern tram set up, I'd hazard a guess the new ones don't have points in the rails. Sacramento in Cal had a modern tram set up, called the light train, it runs on a modern rail set up so steers clear of roads, bit bigger than tram cars but smaller than a rail road cars.

I have it on good authority that the tram driver on Nottm trams does change the points  from the cab as he or she approaches them, so even a tram driver can go the wrong way if he forgets to change em !

In the old days NCT employed "Points Lads" to change the points for approaching trams. I once worked with a bloke who in his younger days was a points lad who changed the points at Canning Circus.

I thought they did as photos show the destination board was similar to the buses destination board, changeable.

Having points to change direction does not make it flexible by any stretch of the imagination. If the daft thing breaks down, fall's off the rail's or gets stuck for whatever reason, the next tram can't get past. Trolley buses can pass with a simple depole, drive, repole. No problem!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I read this morning since the tram made another record breaking loss £50m again last year Nottm City Council are doubling on street car parking charges in the city. The city centre will soon be a ghost town.

• Like 2

It seems like the council have now decided that getting into the Guinness book of records might be some kind of achievement. That way they won't lose face, ie, look how good we were!!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The wife was waiting for a bus on Beckhampton road last Friday, when it arrived it broke down. Bugger me another bus came along and was able to manoeuvre round the broken bus and pick up it's passengers to carry on their journey. When she came back from Arnold an hour later guess what someone had .................recovered the broken down bus!!!!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

That’s what I thought when I read it. ‘How can this be’? I cried out, but no, it’s true. What can we do to help the people who thought of the idea? Is there some sort of home they can be put in? Most of the Mapperley Hospital type institutions have closed. We’re just left with ‘care in the community’. My heart goes out to them.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

My heart goes out to them.

Mine doesn't, just strap em to a tram and let them rot!

• Like 1

With the little use that the damm things are getting, when it's time to sell, the return should be quite good, maybe as much as £10.00 per carriage!!