Lunchtime drinks

Drinking on your lunchbreak is probably frowned upon in today's working world ( unions/management) have snipped it down to half an hour in our 21st century.

Despite job and location always managed a tipple at a local ,even when driving a multi masted stacker...a Lansing Bagnall no-no today.

Pennyfoot st, w21 Boots- Robert Peel.

Empties Dock, Island st- Stag & Pheasant.

Gerrard's, Scotholme Hotel.

Wilton Sporting Club,Bridlesmith Gate- Dog and Bear.

Camelot Club,Bridlesmith Gate- County Tavern.

W81,Boots,Great Northern Close- General Gordon.

Presto,Hucknall - The Yew Tree.

Sky plastics, Sutton- Staff of Life...long lunches here!!

Knights mouldings, Huntingdon st- Maid of Erin.

Standen Homes, Arnold- The Longbow.

Anyone imbibe at lunch?

Back in the day. I worked at Chilwell. depot for a while.  They had a pub /club right on the base. Management never said anything, but I don't think we were as enthusiastic after lunch.  ;)

I didn't stay there long because I didn't like working in one place.  Preferred contracting where you moved around from site to site.

Yes I used to often go for a swift arf in the Palm Tree or Elm Tree in New Basford as I worked at Thorn Bendix (later Thorn Automation) on Beech Avenue.  

Mind you, we had a bowling league on Fridays so rushed down to the Bowling Alley, had a quick game and chip  butty then back to work. 20 of us in the League, 19 blokes and little me :rolleyes:  We all had to ‘clock in’ too.  Don’t think we were ever late, phew!  

• Like 2

Plessey Social Club or Beeston Marina for us, especially on Fridays. Took it in turns to be the clocker inner !

Q. E on Bottle lane was our works local, usually a couple of lunchtimes a week

always Birthdays and any excuse we could think of. We would go back to work and try our 

best not to fall to sleep. A good laugh at lunchtime was great, life is far to serious now.

When I worked on Gregory Boulevard we went to the Grosvenor normally and sometimes to the Forest Tavern.

When at Gerard's it would be a Shippo's pub on Radford Road at the end of Wilkinson Street (almost but not quite next door the brewery) (doesn't seem to be there any longer) or a posh pub at the Whitemoor end of Wilkinson Street (I can't find that on Google SV either). Of course, there was always The Old General but he was usually reserved for Fridays.

I've just noticed on Ian's post the Scotholme Hotel - that was another place that had my patronage when at Gerard's.

I'll go one further,sitting in The Generous Briton one night...bloke on the next stool produced a yellow tin...doused himself down...and promptly set fire to himself.... I rushed to find the Landlord... his answer?

..."oh! he always does that "!!

• Like 1