Started a topic named Unix and it should be Linus, so unless anyone can rename it it's now here.

I'm unable to run Skype on Linux because it says it's not supported, anyone else having a problem ?

Skype is well supported on Linux, depending on which flavour you run. One well know problem that stops it working is up dating, you have to remove(uninstall) the old version first.

Glad it still works for you Brew.  I did a bit of research tonight and this is what I found.

Skype is no longer on my laptop.  I know it was there but I had a crash a few months ago.  I downloaded and installed the latest version of Linux Mint  32 bit.  It installed ok and I've been using it ever since.  Never noticed Skype had gone.  Shows how much I used it.

Checked in the Linux software available and Skype is not listed.   I then checked the Mint forum and they seem a bit vague.  Some say there is a 64 bit version but its a bit flaky.  Some say they are still using the 32 bit version and it works just fine.

To me it sounds like things are just confused right now.  So if one really wants it they might have to become a slave of M$oft again.  It is working ok on my Ipad so if I really want to use it I'll go on there.  Apple Facetime is a pretty strong contender also.

It doesn't work for me LL (I have Windows on my PC) but I have helped a few Linux users in the past. For the record I hate Linux with a passion although I do run a server in Strasbourg using Centos. For a server Linux is OK so long as you are prepared to learn arcane commands but for a domestic PC it's pretty useless.

Heres a 'how to' :   https://www.linuxtechi.com/install-skype-5-0-in-ubuntu-and-linux-mint/

I have used Linux of various 'flavours' now for some 10 years plus. It can be challenging but has got much easier recently. One of my main reasons to start using Linux was I have a few older laptops designed for Windows NT or 95 and Windoze XP was way too slow (now obsolete anyway) and they are incapable of running more recent versions of Windows which seem to need a lot of processing power and ram merely to start let alone do anything. I am now fully Windows free and I run Linux on my modern desktop and laptop too which could easily run the latest MS operating systems. I find Linux faster, more secure, less prone but not immune from viruses, it very rarely crashes, does not slow down over time and does not spy on you as MS is widely reported to do so. There are thousands of free programs available. The update process is far simpler and it's free. 

I accept its not for everyone and getting my scanner to work on Arch wasn't without pain but once you work out what to do it's no harder to use than Windows with brilliant online help. 

Unless you have some piece of software that is essential and only available in Windows, what's not to like.

I’ve had over 30 years trouble free computing with Apple Macs both for business and private use. I was the first to buy one from the local dealer’s  (the M.D. was a friend of mine) when it came out because of the very first spreadsheet “VisiCalc”. They are solid, well built and easy to use. I think they’re a bit overpriced compared to P.C’s but they are so good and have been totally trouble free. My desktop is a 2008 version and I have upgraded the memory. I also use an iPad. I have tried P.C’s as well for comparison but they were not for me. I believe in keeping things simple!

I think this is just a matter of personal preference.  It also depends on what programs are most important to each one of us.  In these days I am not doing much beyond a bit of web browsing on Firefox.  FF will run on just about any OS.  Libre Office is just fine for the limited amount of writing I do.  As noted I keep a dedicated computer for video editing and I don't even do a lot of that anymore.  Only thing I might ever need windoze for is a program called 'Hauptwerk' which is a virtual organ program.  Essentially it allows you to play lots of different instruments if you have a consol equipped with 'midi'. (Musical instrument digital interface).  That's a whole other topic but it does need a lot of memory and a fast processor.  Not available for Linux although there are other virtual organ programs.  If the machine is not on the internet virus risks are about nil.

I think for an OS developed and kept running by enthusiasts Linux is a pretty nice system and the price is right. ;)

Btw.  I mentioned a crash on Linux.  I suspect the reason may have been that I set the laptop on top of a large subwoofer that I have.  I wonder if a magnetic field could have wiped a critical part of the OS.  It would not boot.  I don't think it was a virus, because Linux is fairly safe and I don't go to any websites where I might expect one to be.  Just a heads up in case anyone might be tempted to put a laptop on top of a speaker.

Can we get back to the question please,

On 18/01/2018 at 1:12 PM, TRD said:

unable to run Skype on Linux because it says it's not supported, anyone else having a problem ?

Sorry we drifted to the relative merits of Win and Linux, TRD.  :). I posted what I found out last night several posts back.  Not sure if it's much help, but it's as much as I can dig out at the moment.

it also looks like Brew gave a good link re. Downloading and installing Skype.