GPO/Telecom buildings & old phone numbers

3 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Ours in the 50's was 74640. Sad what sticks in ones head !

On a more technical note, and one for the 'experts', are the Nottingham exchanges and intermediate sub stations Strowger, Pentex or what ?

Nottingham had 2 exchanges, Archer and Castle both Strowger. Archer numbers began with 5 and Castle began with 4.

The other exchanges around Nottingham were called satellite exchanges and were either 2000 or 4000 type Strowger exchanges. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The building in the foreground (between Bath St and Brook St) was the Nottingham automated Parcel Sorting Office - PSO, built late 1960s, later re-badged Parcel Concentration Office - PCO.  It had a b

Lincoln Street looking towards George Street, including a BT van (the exchange is behind the van).  Those old houses are still there.

We didn’t have a phone until about 1970 and thank goodness we did, my social life had been stunted up until then.  My Dad was still in that same house in Arnold until his death 5 years ago and still h

Thanks TRD. I worked on Strowger, Pentex and Core Register Translator equipment during my time at Plessey. 

Later years were spent on 565 Fibre Optic Systems for BT and Mercury. Great days.

• 1 month later...

We had a phone put in when my dad went self employed in the 50's. We answered it 'Bulwell 271673'. It was a party line at first, a bit inconvenient, you'd pick up the handset and listen first before dialing in case t'others were talking. The phone had a little drawer in the bottom to keep notes.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

When I first started work not many people had phones, as I worked in a salon some appointments would be on the phone, now when the phone rang (large cream telephone) I was told to answer it , I was shaking and my voice went rusty as I said the salon name and can I help you madam. Not long after this the trim phone came out, when I had my own salon the number was 6049 and to get though to a Nottingham number you had to put a 9 in front then it change you had to put 63 first before the number then all the codes came out 01773 code for north Notts 01623 Mansfield 0115 Nottingham. At the time best thing was when you had children and did not want to leave them during the day the GPO always wanted women to work as telephonist, it was also well paid. Now technology has moved on mobiles that used to be as large as a house brick now fit in a small pocket,  most are now mini computers.  When I stayed with my bother in Germany and going shopping he called from the hall, don't forget to take your handy with you, HUU! what is that? this is what they call mobiles. (just s bit of useless information) 

Just before the mobile phone system came into being, in the early 1980's there was Rabbit.

Rabbit was a system of hotspots located at strategic places (rail stations, bus stations, other busy places) where subscribers to the Rabbit system could connect wirelessly to the landline phone network.

I lived in the south of England when this was brought out. Did it extend as far as Nottingham?

Rabbit didn't last very long as it was superseded by the mobile system more or less as it is known now but in an earlier version, obviously.

The first mobile phones I remember were not so much house brick size but more the dimensions of a suitcase - with a conventional type receiver handpiece sitting on the top.

Then there was the race to make these "poser phones" (they were quite unusual things then and VERY expensive that only poseurs would have them) as small as possible. I remember one model being about the size of a matchbox. Now it seems they are getting bigger and bigger again to accommodate all the garbage that these things generate.

My mobile phone is a basic €20 Nokia. No bells, no whistles, it's just a phone - and I hardly ever use it.

• Like 1

The Rabbit system started in Manchester and as you say did not last long, technology soon overtook them.

My first phone number was 303030. It was amazing how many times I had to repeat it when someone asked for it.

Remember Radio Nottingham was 44444, Dad was always entering their phone in quiz's. My ex's work number was 44015... When we lived up Kirkby our number was 454745 with a 01623 prefix, my auntie said I'd given her the wrong number as she could never get through after many try's. I asked her to read the number back to me & she'd put a 9 in front of the first 4, she wouldn't believe me that Mansfield numbers didn't need a 9 adding on front of local numbers like Nottingham did. She never did phone me till we moved to Hucknall & had a 952**** number...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I started with the GPO in 1967 the then defunct building, pictured above, was the base for E.L.P Construction (Electric Light and Power), basically anything electrical (non telecom) including Exchange batteries.

I was an E.L.P TTA and did some of my apprenticeship blocks there.

• Like 1