Home Brewery Building

The old Home Brewery building in Daybrook, which is used by Notts County Council, is to be made available for commercial offices. The Council is to commission a feasibility study regarding this at a cost of £50,000. Having seen the building and having been inside I can confirm that the idea is perfectly feasible. To whom do I write to claim the £50,000?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

£50,000 - and we wonder why our councils are strapped for cash!  It's little less than a criminal waste of money.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Along with Shipstone’s, Home Brewery were clients of my firm (who wasn’t!) when I was in the accountancy business. I’ve spent many hours there and over the road at the Daybrook Laundry (both belonged to the Farr family). It was rumoured that the laundry used to pump the dirty washing water under the road to the brewery!

• Like 1

Home Brewery 5 Star wasn't bad, but the normal bitter was a bit soapy. However, Holes was appalling. Whenever we were in the Goldsmith Tavern, we invariably drank Light & Bitter which was quite palatable. In the early to mid 60's though, Worthington E, or Red Barrel was the preferred drink amongst my mob. 

Back in the mid 60s my friend and I went over to Skeggy on a coach from Nottingham. About halfway there the coach stopped at a pub for a break. It was selling Hole’s Bitter and my friend who swore by Home Ales (said Shippos always gave him a headache) had a pint and couldn’t stop farting for the rest of the journey. The other passengers were not impressed and neither was I.

• Like 1

Warwick's used to be served at The Full Moon at Morton, my local for many years. Not a bad pint as I remember. Sadly there are no breweries in the town of Newark now. The last brewery I looked round was Bateman's at Wainfleet but that was about 16 years ago. It was a "proper" brewery and not a chemical processing plant that many of the so called craft breweries are today. Craft beer should be brewed in a bucket under the sink!

• Like 1