• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a cracking picture of the top of Woodborough Road showing Mapperley Methodist Church and the top of Porchester Road - hope it inspires some memories  

Rob, I think the picture would have been taken in the 60's when they started building on the land behind what was once Wardles's garage (i.e.before Wheelhouse had it).   We used to play football and g

Plains Road looking towards Nottingham. The road on the left is the top of Westdale Lane.

Posted Images

I got lots of memories of the area round the Metropole but not of the pram/toy shop or any of the food shops!  My memories are mostly hanging round the streets and the Park in the spring and summer during my misspent  youth ... Well, not totally misspent - I always did all my homework before I went out in the evenings.

(Home from school at 5, had my tea, did about 2 hours homework then went out.... )

• Like 1

The toy and pram shops were in the block that went down to Burlington Rd., just below the Garden City pub, now called the Sherwood Manor. I don’t think I ever went to the Metropole but some of my friends went to ABC Minors there on a Saturday morning. My nearest cinema was the Roxy, just over Mansfield Rd. from the Vale Hotel. I do remember going to the one in Carrington, (was it the Curzon?) to see Rock Around the Clock with Bill Haley and the Comets. There used to be a filling station next to the Metropole and that became a supermarket. QuickSave was it? We were living on Park Rd. off Thackeray’s Lane before we moved out into the sticks. We had the Girls’ High School playing field at the bottom of our garden so I could watch them at play!

I was an ABC Minor at the Metropole and my big brother was the monitor of Block 19 there.

The Roxy was on Ribblesdale  Road I think.  When I was 16,  I went to see ‘Behemoth the Sea Monster’ there with a lad called Tony.  As he was walking me home, he was accosted by a group of other boys who pushed him around a bit (outside the wall  of the Catholic Church).  

I once went with a girlfriend to the Curzon when we were 14 but weren’t allowed in because it was an A.  ( we were asked how old e were and we told the truth!).  It was an Elvis film .... 

That's right, Ribblesdale Rd., next door to the Masonic Lodge. Many years later I was asked about my joining the Freemasons by a flying club friend who was well into masonry. It all seemed a bit odd to me so I didn't take it up. I don't think its as active as it used to be, both the lodge and the Roxy are no longer standing.

The Roxy knew it well, when we had 2 small boys and master was working 6 days a week, because wages where not great. Master came home from work then juat after tea i went out to work,  where!  the Roxy but by this time it had become a Bingo Hall. It was great checking number's by mike and people were so nice they would always give you 2/6 or more if they had a good win. One old gent would aiiways bring all the staff cream cakes.  At the front of the hall we had prize bingo (after the main bingo had finished) and we had jack the caller and two of the girls had to go along the stalls changing money into 6d as this is what you had to put in the number board if you wanted to play. After the session we had to make sure that in the money bags that there was £5. Now one night I had £5 too much and i said to Carol who was the other girl working with me, what do I do Carol I have £5 toom much, I'll show you, and she put it in her pocket. Now Carol also sold the tickets to people when them came in, it was not till years later that I found out that our boss Ray had been fiddling the books and had made himself a tiny penny. When I was walking home with Carol she gave me £2 10/- half saying I know what Ray is like he would had put that £5 in his pocket. 

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Mapperley Methodist Church is now sporting a SOLD sign!  Time to start speculating as to who has bought it and what will happen to it?   Here's a couple of photo's (lifted from the sales brochure).

MapMeths.jpg

Walked down those aisles many a time - carry the Scout flag I hasten to add!

That makes me feel so sad - Paul and I got married there in 1966 and I remember going to morning services there when I was a teenager.  I wish I had enough money to buy it.....

24 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Every building sold in Nottingham these days becomes student accommodation. I'm sure they could fit in there somehow.

I reckon it will be one of those ‘alternative religions’ that will move in.  Too far out of town for student accommodation, don’t think there’s any parking either, a must these days when all students seem to have cars.  

Here's a picture of the schoolroom under Mapperley Meths church, looks very peaceful but I can tell you it's also the scene of many battles with gangs of boisterous, uniformed youths charging from one end to the other trying very hard not to get 'picked off' by the 'enemy' standing guard on the coconut matting, strategically placed across the middle of the room!!!

MMSR.jpg

'British Bulldog' a game probably never to be played again, well, apart from 'elf & safety it doesn't involve a screen and the use of thumbs does it?

• Like 2

I went to the Sunday School in that downstairs room a couple of times in the late 1940s until I defected and went with friends to an Anglican one!   
I did return to the church in my mid teens, though, and got married there in 1966.

I feel incredibly sad that it’s up for sale ,....

At our church youth club here in our village, the kids still play a vague form of British bulldog but it involves a soft ball being thrown (usually very hard!!!) at opposing team members as they try to get the the other end of the hall.

On 1/19/2021 at 2:33 PM, philmayfield said:

'Alternative religion'. I might join. We have the Riverside Church in our area but it seems to attract the oddballs. 

I googled that church Phil and it seems a good place.  If I lived in that area I’d probably go there.

Never thought of myself as being an oddball ..... 

I know a couple who go there and they're both elderly weirdos. They tried to join the village church when they they first came to live here but were castigated by their fellow Christians for pinching their hallowed pew places. Apparently there's a pecking order! They've been driven out to live in Farnsfield now. We don't be likin' incomers in these parts!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 2:08 AM, Paradiddle said:

'British Bulldog' a game probably never to be played again, well, apart from 'elf & safety it doesn't involve a screen and the use of thumbs does it?

Called Bullrush in NZ and yes, banned here. 

As Paradiddle points out, many a memory, including cubs - climbing a rope attached to the ceiling - and thinking it odd at senior school, that most lads couldn't climb a rope.

Derek Ringer, Akela for my time at the 110th - until I got conned into 'helping' him in 1964 - and about two months later, he moved on and left me holding the reins!

Once a month Church Parades, and like Paradiddle, an honour to carry the cub flag and later, the scout flag.

Some good family friendly sermons - and some terribly boring ones.

Scout and Guide concerts in the school room. Hard work, but worth it.

Later on, playing football on a Friday night after Senior Scouts - and getting told off by one of the church elders.

Cub Christmas parties, getting through a staggering number of Plumrose frankfurter/hot dogs.

Collecting newspapers as a fund raiser - and having to remove all the staples.

When did 110th Mapperley Methodists Scouts cease I wonder?

Yup, I got married there too - twice.

• Like 2
On 3/11/2018 at 6:34 AM, Socram said:

Well done Paradiddle.  Glad the photo's are getting a far wider viewing than just the former occupants of 137!  Makes the scanning well worth the effort.  

Any other former members of the 110th Mapperley Methodists Scouts and Cubs on here?  I ran the cubs for a few years from the age of 18 to 21, taking over from Derek Ringer, who was Akela when I joined the cubs. I moved away then when I returned 1973, was Akela again for a few years.  Paradiddle, along with Mick Jefferies and Pete Mason, Peter Braham etc., were 3 years younger than  our mob, which included fellow Queens' Scouts, Andy Wood and John Williamson.

We were also founder members of the first Nottingham Scout and Guide group, created by the late Phyllis Ramsell and Don Varley in 1963, when scouts and guides were first allowed to have their tents less than 400 yards from each other!  This was in fact the first ever true Scout & Guide group in the UK, with members drawn from various Troops and Guide companies from around the City and was initially just a one off experimental camp at Elton - but we refused to disband.

I was both 110th cubs and scouts.... Loved it.... And funny thing I saw Pete Mason down at Trent lock during 1st lock down and it wasnt for a couple of hours that the penny dropped to who the familiar face belonged to... His sister was in charge of us cubs along with a guy called Eric.... 

On 2/8/2021 at 12:32 PM, ube said:

And funny thing I saw Pete Mason down at Trent lock during 1st lock down and it wasn't for a couple of hours that the penny dropped to who the familiar face belonged to... His sister was in charge of us cubs along with a guy called Eric.... 

That would have been Lynne Mason and you must have started with the cubs just after I'd left - for the second time.  Pete Mason was awarded the George Medal for rescuing a child from the water at Mapperley Brickyard.

Eric might have been Eric Braham and I think he worked with Pete at the garage on Mansfield Rd. A K Austins?  Happy to be corrected on all counts as the memory is fading, probably due to advancing years.

• 2 months later...

The off licence or "beer off" next to the Dorchester was run in the 60's by an old crone. When decimalisation came in she still marked the prices in LSD and then did a conversion. She sold us single cigarettes when we were broke. 

I attended Mapperley Metho from about 1965-1970. YPF on Sunday night. Cubs, then scouts and youth club on Thursday. Off for a pint afterwards at the Porch until we were told to go further afield. Years at the Plainsman followed.

Interesting post @Winnie6664  did you time in the Cubs overlap with some of the other people who’ve posted on here?

I’m much older than you as I got married at the church in 1966.

Hi MargieH. I don't recognise any names. I was 13 in 1966. probably just coming to the end of my time in the scouts and just before a few years at the youth club on Thursday evenings. 

• Like 1

@Winnie6664It was Rev Widdowson who married us (along with my husband's dad who was a Methodist minister!).  Does anyone know if the church has been sold yet, and who bought it?

11 hours ago, MargieH said:

).  Does anyone know if the church has been sold yet, and who bought it?

Yes it's been sold but no one knows although the rumour along the top is... Its going to be a mosque :Shock:

On 1/19/2021 at 1:56 PM, Paradiddle said:

Walked down those aisles many a time - carry the Scout flag I hasten to add

Me too.... I lived in the bookies(Jack Hardys) opposite.... Can remember being late getting up and I was flag bearer.... Didn't have time to get me jarmers off so me uniform went over the top.... We used to have a reet giggle watching the facial expressions on some of the choir singers:rotfl: