On 3/13/2023 at 6:35 AM, siddha said:

Similarly whatever happened to the 105th  St. Judes?

110th all the wayenglandflag

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a cracking picture of the top of Woodborough Road showing Mapperley Methodist Church and the top of Porchester Road - hope it inspires some memories  

Rob, I think the picture would have been taken in the 60's when they started building on the land behind what was once Wardles's garage (i.e.before Wheelhouse had it).   We used to play football and g

Plains Road looking towards Nottingham. The road on the left is the top of Westdale Lane.

Posted Images

On 11/6/2022 at 7:56 PM, Paradiddle said:

Here's a photo of an unruly bunch of Mapperley Methodist 110th Scouts.  I think one of Nottsalgia's esteemed members might recognize a face or two!

url=https://postimg.cc/d7nx9b17]Scouts01a.jpg[/url]

Scouts02a.jpg

Scouts03a.jpg

These were extracted from an old cine film which I paid an arm and leg for to be transferred to MP4.  The location is Epperstone, probably early 70's.

Top picture to the left of Clayton Lewis(ginger) that's me

On 3/13/2023 at 1:47 AM, Socram said:

Does anyone know when the 110th Nottingham, Mapperley Methodists group ceased?

And why?

Shortage of leaders/helpers maybe?

We were a different sort of troop....if you've ever seen a film called the dirty dozen...we were a bit like that but we were good and all got on.

When we left and our leaders Pete Mason,Eric and Dave Green left....it went down hill from there...we were far from conventional and the kids round the top didn't want "conventional" and the new leaders tried to run it as a "squeaky clean" outfit.....but it died a death....sad really

Paradiddle which one is you?

• 5 months later...

It's got me scratching me head abit that's for sure

Evening ube, happy days with the 110th.  A good bunch of lads, all in their 60's now so lads no more, I wonder what's happened to them all?

By the way, you were nicknamed 'Cas' (Casius Clay) on account of you liking a good scrap, hopefully you've calmed down a bit now!

As I mentioned in my PM I'm hoping to put the whole film, all 4mins of it, on here for all to see, hope that's ok with you.

Regards, Paradiddle?

• 3 months later...

Ey up Paradiddle....still waiting for this vintage footage I need a good laugh.

Yep we're all owd bugga's now :Shock:

I did go on one of these "bring a parent"scout camps down in Calverton  I've never been so bored in my life nothing like our camps....it was wrapped up in health and safety....can't do this can't do that!...I was glad to get packed and home!

7 hours ago, ube said:

I did go on one of these "bring a parent"scout camps down in Calverton  I've never been so bored in my life nothing like our camps...

Ube, do they still sink Ging Gang Goolie and Kumbaya?

2 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Kumbaya was more the Guides I think!  

The first ever proper UK Scout & Guide group camp was a city-wide invitation event, held at Elton, about July 1963. Three of the 110th Senior Scouts - all Queen's Scouts, were founder members.

What was supposed to be an experimental weekend camp, had a reunion some weeks later and the participants effectively refused to disband and demanded more events, and that led to the establishment of what we believe was the first ever Scout & Guide Group.

The first full week's camp was held at Guist in Norfolk, in the summer of 1964. By this time, two of the original 3 from Mapperley had dropped out, but others had taken their place.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 11:11 PM, Oztalgian said:

Quartermasters stores

Ya never go to heaven

He jumped from 40000ft 

LOL

I was a Girl Guide in Mapperley then Woodthorpe.  We sang all those songs, also…..

never let your braces dangle

donkey riding

A woman in a churchyard stood

kookaburra sits in the old gum tree

On 2/2/2024 at 5:39 AM, ube said:

Quartermasters stores

Ya never go to heaven

He jumped from 40000ft 

LOL

I remember them! 

"There were eggs, eggs, with great long hairy legs, in the quartermasters stores..."

"...in an old Ford car, 'cos an old Ford car, won't get that far..."

"...they scraped him off the tarmac like a lump of strawberry jam..."

Thanks to the older scouts, there were others but I can't remember them too well other than a ghostly thing, 'your brains come trickling down your snout'...

I wonder if anyone ever documented the words to those?  May have to see what Mr Google has to say. 

Plenty it seems. Found this under Scout Songs

There are snakes, snakes, snakes
Big as garden rakes,
At the store! At the store!
There are snakes, snakes, snakes,
Big as garden rakes, at the Quartermaster's store.

Chorus
My eyes are dim I can-not see.
I have not got my specs with me.
I have HEY! Not HO! got my specs with me.

There are mice, mice, mice
Running though the rice,
At the store! At the store!
There are mice, mice, mice,
Running through the rice, at the Quartermaster's store.

Chorus

Continue with each of the following:
3. lice - living on the mice.
4. rats - big as alley cats.
5. roaches - big as football coaches
6. watches - big as sasquaches
7. snakes - big as garden rakes
8. bears - but no one really cares
9. beavers - with little meat cleavers
10. foxes - stuffed in little boxes

Also found the Hearse Song

If you ever see a hearse go by,
Do you ever think you're going to die.

Chorus.

OOH OOH OOH OOH where will you be in a hundred years from now.

They wrap you up in a crisp white sheet,
And tuck in the corners all nice and neat.

They put you into a wooden box,
And cover you over with earth and rocks.

The worms crawl in and the worms crawl out,
They crawl in thin and they crawl out stout.

Your teeth fall in and your eyes pop out,
Your brains come trickling down your snout

Chorus.

OOH OOH OOH OOH where will you be in a hundred years from now.

(PAUSE)

DEAD!!!!!!!!!

On 2/1/2024 at 7:35 PM, MargieH said:

I was a Girl Guide in Mapperley then Woodthorpe. 

Hi Margie were you in the St Judes troop?

@siddha  no, I was a Brownie and then a Guide on Plains Road.  We met in the Junior School on tne right, past Westfalen Lane

Ah! we were further down towards town near the chip shop. Cubs and scouts in one building, brownies and guides in another. A great way of learning about the world and other people!

• Like 1

I remember that chip shop very well  - a boyfriend of mine lived on Private Road.  He wasn’t a Scout though!!

Ah, fish and chips - used to be the poor man’s dinner. Last time I went to Burton Joyce fish and chip shop the bill for a takeaway for two was around £24! We judge all food purchases now by the price of fish and chips as a comparison. They don’t seem so expensive.

In our village it is £7.90 for one small portion of fish and chips.  That does for the two of us. (The fish is very big and there’s plenty of chips)

I see the Reindeer at Hoveringham has been awarded the new Bib Gourmand Michelin Award for their continuing commitment to offering affordable delicious food. Has anyone been and if so how was it?

Other Notts awards went to Sat Bains Nottingham- two stars and alchemilla Nottingham-1 star. Has anyone been and how was it?

The last time I went in the Reindeer, which is only a few miles away, was in the ‘60’s when it was run by two old ladies who served the beer direct from two barrels behind the bar. Nodoubt the food prices will now be astronomic and I’m not tempted to try it.

18 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Nodoubt the food prices will now be astronomic and I’m not tempted to try it.

Give it a go Phil and let us know. The award said affordable food and as one of the landed gentry I am sure you can spare a few coins to enlighten us all.