• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a cracking picture of the top of Woodborough Road showing Mapperley Methodist Church and the top of Porchester Road - hope it inspires some memories  

Rob, I think the picture would have been taken in the 60's when they started building on the land behind what was once Wardles's garage (i.e.before Wheelhouse had it).   We used to play football and g

Plains Road looking towards Nottingham. The road on the left is the top of Westdale Lane.

Posted Images

Thanks Paradiddle. That is where your mum first met your dad as she needed the tyres pumping up on her bike and he helped out there!  I think that before Roy Sharpe took over, it was managed by Jack Horde, who lived in the house shown.  Roy Sharpe had a new house/bungalow built to the left of the garage - demolished when Speeds (Volvo) took over.  I think they went to live in South Africa.  His parents lived next door to Beardsley's of fish and chip shop fame.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hillside Garage/Sharpes, looking across to Somersby Road.  Difficult to date this but a giveaway might be the right rear mudguard of the pre-war car, painted white, which was a wartime requirement as cars couldn't use lights.  The overalled figure with petrol hose in hand is Jack Horde, so this could be post war.  Petrol at 1/5 a GALLON!

138_0600_01.jpg

• Like 3

I think the number plate told the pump attendant that the car needed filling with petrol!!. My father bought his first new car from Sharp's, a 1967 Vauxhall Viva SL 90, reg- PRR 97F. What a load of rubbish that was, no end of problems from start to finish.

• 1 month later...

I've stumbled across this site by chance,

I am researching architects from Nottingham in the 20s who may well have been active here, between Skegness and Mablethorpe, in the 20s

They were Calvert Jessop and Gleave although there were many other formulation of the partnerships,

there were 2 generations of Calvert, one witnessed a signature on the deeds when my house was first sold in 1926.

I know of two listed buildings by them, one is the war memorial at the top of Woodthorpe Drive, the other is a parade of shops in Daybrook opposite Home Brewery.

But, this caught my eye

Some of the shops and establishments on Woodborough Road, north of Porchester in the 1950's.

Was it Twigdens newsagents or was that the one at the top of Westdale Lane?

I think it was the top of Westdale Lane

Judges - bakery and groceries and the Post Office

Loved going in there

The barber.  Brown coat, miserable as sin, slow, short back and sides only.  Yuck.  Hated that regular visit.

Hated that too

Albert Abel - butcher.  Lovely chap and stalwart of Mapperley Methodist Church.

Knew the Abels very well, their children were contemporary with my older siblings,

We were in Hazel Grove, the Abels round the corner in Digby Avenue

My mother bought a joint every Saturday, it was in the oven when we were also at MMC

Bailey's green grocers

My sister tells a tale that when I was only a few weeks old she pushed me in my pram to Bailey's, left me outside and went home without me!

Gilberts Tea Gardens - before the self service Co-op.

One of my cousins had his 21st there in 1956, I'd be 7.

A C Butler - builder.  (Gordon Butler's sister  married Jim Briers of ACHS).

In 1959 I was in the first intake at that school, Jim Briers taught me.

In 1961 we moved into Maltby Road in a Butler built bungalow.

Trustee Savings Bank - still there

I had a savings account there in my teens.

Jewellers - can't remember the name

Pretty sure it was Smiths - Leslie Smith was at Mapperley Plains Junior with me

Doctor (Foy?).

Dr. Foy had home and surgery near the junction with Porchester Road, opposite the reservoir, a big old Victorian house,

a contemporary - Muriel - of mine at junior school lived in a more modest house next door, our birthdays were 2 days apart, in the summer holidays, so it was one round of parties!

A violin teacher - sounded like torture.

Ethel Schmidt is correct, she taught my brother

Then there was a sweet shop almost next to the school

There certainly was!

MIss Wrath - piano teacher - or another torturer depending on your love or otherwise of classical music.

Eunice Wrath taught me - unsuccessfully - from age 7 to 10; 2/0 per half hour lesson, she always nipped out to see to her aged mother in the back room.

Dewsbury's newsagents and bakery.

Delivered our newspapers daily

Roys Motors, or better known as (Roy) Sharpe's garage.

Roy Sharpe's coaches took me on many cub/scout trips, and school outings and weekly, around 1964, to the ice stadium, once I worked out how to avoid rugger!

Gedling Miner's Welfare

Taken often after school to see the coal wagons being tipped just by there.

Any way, if anyone does know about Calvert and /or Gleave I'd love to hear.

• Like 2

Thanks

the son architect was Charles Henry Calvert (1887-1958) who'd be 37 in 1924

"Signed sealed and delivered by the aforementioned Mary Catherine Jones in the presence of Charles Henry Calvert, Architect, 18 Low Pavement, Nottingham"

24th March 1926

Quadring is a fair way away, but not to far from the route Nottingham to Sutton on Sea via Grantham.

Here's a good piece about J.L.Gleave with a picture , when he won a competition to design a lighthouse in Santo Domingo ! He was the son of William Richard Gleave who died in 1933 and is more likely to be the gentleman in the firms title .

This was in the E.P. 17 /10/1931 . Sign of the times  , when  10,000 dollars = 2000 pounds !

42282341332_2d71889300_o.jpg

41607235614_a31404b285_o.jpg

• Like 1

Brandon - Twigdons was definitely near to the top of Woodthorpe  Drive, not Westdale Lane.  

And my mum used to buy iced (bread) buns from Judges... I loved them.

Dr Foy was our doctor but I can only remember going to see him once - I must have been healthy!

A bit more on William Richard Gleave and some of the buildings he worked on .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Richard_Gleave

Plus the wiki for Arthur Richard Calvert (father of Charles H Calvert)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Richard_Calvert

Margie - you're quite right, the one at the top of Westdale Lane was Silsdon's or Selsdon's or something like that; it opened in the 2nd half of the 50s.

I remember being a little taken aback to hear that Dr Foy listened to Radio Luxembourg - I didn't expect frivolity from such a pillar of society, 

• Like 1

DavidW - thanks for your help, its Richard William Gleave who is of interest to  me, and his partnership with Arthur Richard Calvert.

both your Wiki link and http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=206874 suggest Joseph Lee Gleave wasn't his son,

I guess the Evening Post may be wrong in JLG's Nottm connection.

My mistake , sorry I suddenly realised it was the wrong Gleave ! In haste just assumed he was the son of William Gleave ,  both having an uncommon name and both being architects .

At the time of his death in 1922 , A.R.Gleaves address was given as 18 Dagmar Grove .

17 hours ago, Brandon said:

I am researching architects from Nottingham in the 20s who may well have been active here, between Skegness and Mablethorpe, in the 20s

They were Calvert Jessop and Gleave although there were many other formulation of the partnerships,

A few bits of information adding to what DAVIDW has provided.

In the early 1900s, Richard William Gleave lived at 34 Bridgford Road, West Bridgford, and his office was at 8 St Peter's Church Walk (now buried under M & S).

A few years earlier, Calvert & Gleave (Architects & Surveyors) had an office at 18 Low Pavement, Nottingham, which has survived remarkably unspoiled.

4 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

In the early 1900s, Richard William Gleave lived at 34 Bridgford Road, West Bridgford, and his office was at 8 St Peter's Church Walk (now buried under M & S).

A few years earlier, Calvert & Gleave (Architects & Surveyors) had an office at 18 Low Pavement, Nottingham, which has survived remarkably unspoiled.

Thanks for that,

Wiki has Gleave in Henry Road, Bridgford 'by 1901',

Charles Henry Calvert, son of Arthur Richard Calvert, is in partnership with Gleave in the 20s

the Low Pavement address is used by Charles Henry as witness on my house deed in 1926.

Arthur Richard Calvert is listed in Kelly's directories throughout the 1920s as being resident here at 'Linksholme', Sandilands, despite him dying in 1922, I guess Charles Henry kept it on until it was sold at Easter 1931.

I can't identify 'Linksholme', but it sold for £680, at the same sale a timber-built bungalow sold for £675,

opposite me is a single bungalow that I know is a re-build of a wooden one, it is to the side of a double width plot,

could it be that Charles Henry sat across the road as he designed my house, a dozen or so others and the extension to the Grange Hotel, all dating from the 20s?

In the 20s, Calvert, Calvert and Jessop sued the developer of 'Bohemia', a mile from here, for non-payment of fees: they lost!

Which raises the question, was Jessop the architect associated with Jessop & Sons, now John Lewis, or even Rhoda Jessop of Hollygirt School.

Which brings us back to Mapperley Park, if not Mapperley Plains.

17 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

At the time of his death in 1922 , A.R.Gleaves address was given as 18 Dagmar Grove .

and Dagmar Grove is but a stone's throw from the The Crescent, Alexandra Park, where stood/stands "Springfield"

which was donated to the National  Children's Homes charity by 'Sir Arthur Black, a local lace manufacturer and Member of Parliament'.

There was also a NCH in Sutton-on-Sea; Kelly's 1922 also has Black, Sir Arthur as a resident of S-o-S, as a holiday home no doubt.

18 hours ago, Brandon said:

Which raises the question, was Jessop the architect associated with Jessop & Sons, now John Lewis, or even Rhoda Jessop of Hollygirt School.

I don't think Bernard Jessop the architect was connected to Jessops the retailer .

Bernard Jessop architect was born Kimberley c1889 and was the son of Bernard Ross Jessop born Sheffield .

1901 Census they were living at Bank Cottage , Kimberley . 1911 Bernard Jessop was an apprentice architect in Dorchester Dorset .

Zebedee Jessop born c1828 , retailer,  was originally from Swineshead Lincs . 

Haven't checked on Rhoda Jessop !

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, Brandon said:

I remember being a little taken aback to hear that Dr Foy listened to Radio Luxembourg - I didn't expect frivolity from such a pillar of society, 

Dr Foy's daughter Vivienne was my Scottish Country Dance partner at ACHS.  I believe she also became a GP and married another ex ACHS Pupil.  A regular attender at the occasional mini-ACHS reunions.

Before the newer houses were built on Maltby Road, at the Somersby Road end, we used to dig build dens, build little fires in them and try and cook baked potatoes - with very little success I might add...   

• 3 weeks later...

When we got married 1965 we move into a flat  in Alexandra park replaclng a couple who then moved into a nice new house up the road on the old brickworks,we were invited there for tea.I remember saying to them I was a bit concerned about the garden situation or  lack of it  because of the mud on the slope,I was right heavy rain the next day and mud went in the front door and out the back,well i did warn them......

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

After celebrating the Queen's Coronation, June 2nd 1953, there was a fancy dress line up at Mapperley Plains School a day or two later.  We were all presented with a small bible to commemorate the event.

I can name a few:

2nd left - Ballerina Jean Lightbown I think.  They moved away before finishing school. 

4th left - Nurse 1 - Judith Severn, I day younger than me...

5th left - Nurse 2 - may be Janice North? 

8th left - Tahitian maid - Sasha(?) Osborne

9th left  - 'Little Boy Blue' - Green...

12th left - Cowboy - Pete Scales

Far right - Pirate - Alan Marks

153_0610_04.jpg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

I remember this day at school. I hated being made to wear fancy dress. Mum had me go as a pirate. Sancha Osbourne was a year above me. She had a sister Yvonne and brother Clive. Parents owned two butchers shops in the city. They lived near by on Malmesbury  Road.

School organised some kind of country dance event. Other schools in the area attended.

Visited Nottingham some time ago with my kids. The school no longer there! Dewsbury's paper shop GONE. Delivered papers for them, morning & night. Shilling a round. Two shillings Sundays.

• Like 5

I was a cub when Barbara was the  Akela. (she left to marry / lived on Spring Lane) Meetings below the church down very steep steps. Games were 'British bulldog' and 'tracking' around the streets. Outing by train to Fiskerton by River Trent. Opposite the church was an off licence that sold BIG long ice lollies. I liked them when had money. Chips sometimes from Beardley's fish shop.

Goodness me, family attended same Dr Foy's surgery. The land on Maltby Road / Somersby Road we called 'The Banks.' Very steep hill with lots of trees and bushes. Climbed a tree there and got stuck. Same adventures digging dens in the ground, covering with old corrugated iron with grass sods on top. Dugout always filled with water when it rained.

You remember all the shops along Plains Road including Spencers Farm & Crossland's Fields.

The barber used hand clippers and always caught your hair. Ouch!

A private paying library.

The old Coop was opposite Pickering's Chemist shop.

Gedling Miner's football team played the Cambridge University in the FA Cup. They erected a stand specially for the sell out game. The miner's lost!

The High Road had a sort of character in these days. NOT now since last visit.