• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a cracking picture of the top of Woodborough Road showing Mapperley Methodist Church and the top of Porchester Road - hope it inspires some memories  

Rob, I think the picture would have been taken in the 60's when they started building on the land behind what was once Wardles's garage (i.e.before Wheelhouse had it).   We used to play football and g

Plains Road looking towards Nottingham. The road on the left is the top of Westdale Lane.

Posted Images

On 5/24/2018 at 10:16 PM, MargieH said:

Brandon - Twigdons was definitely near to the top of Woodthorpe  Drive, not Westdale Lane.  

And my mum used to buy iced (bread) buns from Judges... I loved them.

Dr Foy was our doctor but I can only remember going to see him once - I must have been healthy!

Twigdons, although not the name of the people who owned the business sold newspapers and confectionery. There son attended Mapperley Plains School and was in the same class as me. One day he went to hospital and never came back to school.

• 1 month later...

Another icon gone.  Baileys, at the top of Bennett Rd now closed.  Sure, Mapperley Top isn't what it was, but happy to see a Costa's coffee shop and a fair few eateries, some quite classy.  

Nice to see new posts from Stephen S!   

Akela at the 110th cubs was Derek Ringer.  At 18, having just attained the dizzy heights of 'Queen's Scout', along with Andy Wood and John Williamson,  Derek Ringer approached me and suggested I might like to put something back in to Scouting and assist him with the cubs. I accepted.  A few weeks later, Derek moved on and left me as Akela.  Derek was an excellent role model, with a balanced mix of strong discipline, work and play, which I carried on for 3 years, when I moved away, returning 6 years later to take over again for a while. 

As always, getting adult help was a major problem and no idea when the group finally folded. Sad.  I probably gained far more out of scouts than ACHS and later, the first ever combined scout & guide group, under Don Varley and Phyl Ramsell.  Happy days.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes, Mapperley Top has some decent pubs / eateries / coffee shops etc. I particularly like the Bread & Bitter pub, or for something lighter, the Cheesecake Shop. Yummy. I could sit outside there with my dessert and cappuccino and watch the world go by all day long !

• 1 month later...

Not been here for a while, few health issues been keeping me busy but settled down a bit now, just caught up with this thread and a few memories came forth.

Dr Foy my family doctor when I was a child, also did a home birth when my wife had our son in 1968, midwife called him out as the baby was becoming stressed, no phone then so I remember running up to mapperley tops to use the payphone. We were staying at mums place as we only had a flat in Hyson Green and it was cold and damp whereas mum had the central heating.

Twigdons, used to deliver papers for them, opposite the war memeorial top Woodthorpe drive, Judges, my old mum used to clean the post office for Barry Judge.

Co-op on corner of Gretton road, used to run up gretton often to buy some cheese and best butter from there which was loose and had to be cheese wired cut and the butter was formed with a wooden paddle for dads packup.

Pickerings the chemist, used to buy all my ilicit chemicals from him to make my potions to blow things up !

He was a small dumpy man with thick frameless glasses and I seem to remember his daughter going to plains road school when I did.

Spencers farm, another name from school maybe Roland ?  Masseys farm on Spring lane, my first girlfriend Rosalind Massey their daughter, from plains road school.

Smiths jewelers, daughter Lucky also went to plains road school.

Williamsons joiners and builders, son Michael was a friend and went to school with him too.

That'll do for now becoming melancolic (is that a word) ;-))

• Like 5

Sorry you've had health issues, Banjo - hope they are resolved now.  

Dr Foy was my doctor, too, but I only remember going to see him once.  My dad got his cigarettes from Twigdons - actually it was my mum who got them for him!   I remember Pickerings - he tested me for my first aid badge for Guides..... I passed!  One of my favourite memories is going with my mum into Judges to buy an iced bun with a cherry on the top for me.

Thinking also of Remembrance Day at this time, I remember Mum taking me to the little service at the Memorial at the top of Woodthorpe Drive when I was about 8 or 9

Over 20 years later,  when we visited my parents on Woodthorpe Drive with our 3 children, they used to love walking up to the precinct to buy stuff from Fords.   Mum used to save a few pennies for them in little containers so they could have some money to spend when they visited.  One of our boys bought a little 'parachute man' from there - you threw him up in the air and the parachute (hopefully) opened and he floated to the ground again.  We played with it in Woodthorpe Park but he got stuck in a tree there.  We used to see him every time we visited but one day he'd gone. ....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:01 AM, Stephen S said:

NZ along way from Mapperley. Flew to NZ once via LA. The worst jet lag ever. You lose a complete day. I didn't recover until I returned to UK and then it took 9 days. 

Ah, but when you fly from NZ to LA, you arrive before you left...  Leave NZ 9:50pm after a full day in NZ and you arrive 3:30pm the same day.  Do the trip often enough and you do get used to it. 

I'm now trying to find a photograph of any of Roy's buses.  Many of us had the dubious pleasure of riding them from Mapperley to Bramcote Grammar & Bramcote Tech, 1957/58, when they used a Bedford single decker.  There was also a bus to Eastwood Park Tech and many of those passengers would have gone on to Arnold County High School.

The following year, they used rather ancient double deckers and many of us remember those all too well.  I'd really appreciate the photographs to illustrate a long term project.  Maybe Paradiddle has one?    

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see you back posting Banjo and truly hope you’re much better health wise.  

I remember a John Williamson at Carlton-Le-Willows GS, a few years older than me, he could be the same boy on the Plains School photo. I know he went on to be a School Headmaster.

I remember Lucky Smith, she had a horse.  Her big sister Andrea is a friend of a good friend of mine. 

Banjo, you mention Spencer’s Farm.  Assume that is the farm that’s still in the Spencer family, also with the Farm Shop on Spring Lane.  Mark Spencer is also the local MP.  

• 2 weeks later...

Taken 1964 (I think) on the way home from Church on a Sunday Morning.  Needless to say, it was the Bentley rather than Sketchleys or Rose butchers (formerly Albert Abels), that was the attraction.

164_Bentley.jpg

August 2018 - an icon now gone.

218_0827_01.JPG

I'm guessing 1960 - from one of Dad's films.

160_scales.jpg

LizzieM.  John Williamson did indeed go to Carlton Le Willows, and along with Andy Wood and John Luff, Suzette Fletcher, Robert Hardy (I think)  and others from our Mapperley Plains class.  Mrs Williamson taught the last but one class at MP - and I remember her whacking me with a cane across the shoulders during a Friday afternoon craft class...  John & Andy stuck with Scouts and along with myself, gained the Queen's Scout Award, only the second Scouts from the 110th to receive that honour.  Also founder members of the 1st Nottingham Scout & Guide Group in 1963.

• Upvote 1

Whoops, made  a spelling mistake setting up a new directory on my website, so the above picture links broken.  I'll repost tomorrow. 

LizG,  I am well through a rewrite of a book I started back in around 1988 (focussing on Arnold County High School) and have split it into several sections, but Liz, you'll probably be pleased to know that in the ACHS section, memories of 'Roys Motors' feature in a transport section, as going to Bramcote for two years before ACHS, the daily journey was an important part of our day!  I hope Paradiddle can find a pic as I believe there is one somewhere.

I do remember in the middle of winter,  Roy stuffing a flaming torch under the bonnet to try and get some heat into the diesel! Of all the drivers we had, he was the most adept in getting those double decker's up Breck Hill, without us having  to get out and push.  He was also not averse to administering a clip round the ear to misbehaving schoolboys.

• Upvote 1

Taken 1964 (I think) on the way home from Church on a Sunday Morning.  Needless to say, it was the Bentley rather than Sketchleys or Rose butchers (formerly Albert Abels), that was the attraction.

164_Bentley.jpg

August 2018 - an icon now gone but still decent fish and chips next door, though Mr Beardsley's, fried in lard, were even better. Just down Bennett Road,  the set back building upper level was  De Bear knitwear, half owned by Beardsley's son, Barry.

218_0827_01.JPG

Guessing 1960 - from one of Dad's films. Note the window reflection - Dewhursts,  butchers.

160_scales.jpg

Central Avenue Mapperley - again, possibly about 1960.

160_central.jpg

Yet another from the same 1960 film.  Presumably Gedling Colliery FC, but note Tree Tops  and the buildings in the background.  When goalkeepers wore an itchy woollen jersey and no gloves, leather nailed in nogs to the soles of the boots and the weekly dollop of dubbin!  A leather football that increased in weight in wet weather, so much so, that a young goalkeeper could barely kick it beyond the penalty area from a goal kick.

160_football.jpg

• Like 5

This is the same building Cliff Ton posted a while back on the Mapperley Tea Gardens thread  . (Like others can't add the image) .

The name on the facia looks different on the picture above , though can't quite read it .

W.R. Norwood was certainly there between at least 1914 and 1929 and so the image above must predate that.

It was also known as Westdale Stores 1914-1929 (even though the address was given as Plains Road) .

14 minutes ago, DAVIDW said:

This is the same building Cliff Ton posted a while back on the Mapperley Tea Gardens thread  . (Like others can't add the image) .

This is the thread DAVIDW is referring to, which includes more photos of that shop.   

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/16259-mapperley-tea-gardens/

Norwoods, then the 'Scales' shop as posted earlier.  I wonder if there are any photographs of the other side of the road, as Cliff Ton's pic shows only houses on that side of the road? 

In addition to Dewhursts and the chemists, there was the Co-op, A C Butler builders office, Burr's Optician, Marsden's grocery shop (now an Indian restaurant) where Mum did most of her grocery shopping, the Savings Bank (still there!), a builder's yard etc.

The shop that is now a picture framers used to be 'The Clinic' where babies were weighed and checked; where we received our smallpox jab before starting school -  plus supplies of cod liver oil (yeuk) and small bottles of concentrated orange juice.  Judges (Post Office and bakery) was far more inviting  and I still remember with fondness, their pyramid shaped coconut macaroons with a rice paper base,  cream boats (albeit, synthetic cream), and their pikelets (called crumpets elsewhere) the size of a small side plate and as someone else mentioned, iced buns.

• Like 2

That 'orrible chocoate' was either a worm treatment or something similar and the malt tradename was 'Virol' I think.  It was 'cod liver oil and malt'. I rather liked the malt, but the chocolate made me wretch - and I still can't stand anything with the 100s and thousands on top!  if the chocolate had been NZ Whittakers or even Cadbury's, it might have been OK, but whatever it was, it certainly was 'orrible'. 

Not sure, but later the clinic's orange juice might have been superceded by Rose Hip syrup. (Seems that the really correct spelling is in fact 'supersede', but I was brought up with 'supercede', which has been around for centuries, so I'll stick with it.)

I still can't post picture links, so not sure what Nottstalgia have changed.  Hopefully it will be restored, before I forget what I was trying to post.

On a nicer note, back up the other way on Plains Road was Dewsbury's, Newsagents and Bakers.  Early Saturday afternoon, I used to get the big square loaf of wholemeal bread, straight out of the oven.  I'd hack the crust off as soon as I got home and smother it with butter (and possibly Golden Syrup…) When dad got back from watching Notts County or Forest, he'd give me a clip around the ear for starting on the new loaf before the old loaf had been finished.  Well worth it.

Mr Dewsbury's 'Hot Cross Buns' were an annual treat too, also purchased and eaten when still warm.  Who else remembers the usual queue at most Nottingham newsagents at 6pm, waiting for the (pink) Football Post to arrive?  Amazing when you consider the technology of the time.

Next door, just across Newbury Close, was the greengrocers, 'Butlers', later for many years, 'Wainmans'.  Jill Butler was in our year at Mapperley Plains and I think, she might have been like me, another survivor of 'Pinks Disease'. 

• Like 1

Woohoo.  Can post image links again.

Can anyone locate this for me? It looks to be like the view towards Gedling and possibly from the Mapperley Golf Course before it was extended to 18 holes?  It is on the same film as the earlier 1960's pics. 

160_mapperleygc.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not terribly familiar with the area but it looks to be taken from the top of Arnold Lane. From maps of the time, the farm buildings look to be Wood Farm which would have been in the middle of the golf course. There are still farm buildings in that location today.