Margie it is sad to see the 'For Sale' board up.  Nice to see some pictures of the inside though, especially the school room.  It's changed a bit since the 60's when there was a stage, complete with lighting rig thanks to Geoff Dudley who I  think worked for Furse Electrical at the time.  The room also had a partition which could be used to split the quite large room into two.

There was no false ceiling and I remember as Scouts, a big hook being screwed into the main church floor joists and a rope attached for climbing.  Played a lot of football in there as well, much to the displeasure of the church elders.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a cracking picture of the top of Woodborough Road showing Mapperley Methodist Church and the top of Porchester Road - hope it inspires some memories  

Rob, I think the picture would have been taken in the 60's when they started building on the land behind what was once Wardles's garage (i.e.before Wheelhouse had it).   We used to play football and g

Plains Road looking towards Nottingham. The road on the left is the top of Westdale Lane.

Posted Images

Not an expensive buy really, considering the size of the building and the land. Current use is 'worship', but maybe a classic car museum and café as some of us worship cars and coffee!

Like Paradiddle, spent many hours there (I was Akela from 1964 until 1967, then again from 1973 for a while), got married there - twice...  Son was christened there.  Monthly Church Parade and family service for many years and for a while, attended church Sunday evening.

Thanks for re-posting the aerial shot paradiddle.

5 hours ago, MargieH said:

Giving a tenth of your income to the church isn't weird.

Giving a tithe is an old custom going back centuries. Fr McGuiness at Clifton tried to introduce it in the mid '50s,  I don't think the idea went down too well.

..... so the grain (or whatever) could be distributed to those in need... bit like taxes, although nowadays the 'farmer' who owns the 'barn' doesn't always do that - he just uses it how HE wants to!  

Was our PM ever a farmer?  Sorry, wrong thread

14 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

Interesting that the map still shows the 'Porchester Arms' on the corner.  It hasn't been a pub for years. For a long while it was a school uniform dealers, but when I went past recently that has closed and the place had become a building site.

What a busy junction that is though, there’s always a queue of traffic in all three directions.  I used to go in The Porchester occasionally with my parents in the early 70s as it was a favourite pub of theirs. 

Anyone remember that scruffy off licence, next door to the Porchester?  Fusty and decrepit - just like the grizzly old owner.  Name escapes me for now, but he sold small (lukewarm) bottles of 'pop' for 2d.

Was far happier with 4d worth of chips from Mr Beardsley - with 'fish bits' - aka, bits of batter. Price went up to 6d when the new potatoes were in, then back down to 4d again later.  Only ever sold haddock - and plaice to order.  Never sold cod. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Socram said:

Anyone remember that scruffy off licence, next door to the Porchester?  Fusty and decrepit - just like the grizzly old owner.  Name escapes me for now, but he sold small (lukewarm) bottles of 'pop' for 2d.

This place, when it was still a shop ?     https://goo.gl/maps/4pmQWj1tNn357EmcA

I remember driving past it in the 90s and it looked like something from Victorian times.

What with not liking veg very much, i don't think i would go a bundle on frozen peas for my Sunday lunch.      He He.

Using the google map link I did a virtual tour of Woodborough Rd. I hardly recognised it! when did all those changes take place? I'm it's sure it's only been a couple of years since I was last there...…….  I really should get out more...

No, the off licence was closer to the Porchester, where you can see the new bricks, immediately to the right of the brick wall next to the Porchester.

Caretaker for the church lived at the bottom of Eaton Street, on the left and you had to go down and get the keys to open up for Cubs.  From memory he had one or maybe two daughters who were in the Guides.  Paradiddle may well remember them. 

169_0405_101b.JPG

Seem to have forgotten how to insert an image from my own website where I host my pics. Properties/links direct to pics on a webpage, no longer show up as a specific link.  Tried doing a link to the image directory and the image, but still no luck. 

Eventually found it was .jpg should have been in uppercase...

April 1969 Pic clearly shows the off licence in the background.  Sadly, even three of the younger people in this pic are no longer with us.

• Like 1

I was looking at this area on Google and I can see an end terrace house with a stable in the backyard on nearby Eaton Street. Back in the 50’s my uncle who lived nearby in Woodthorpe use to stable a pony there. At weekends we would hitch it up to a trap and go hurtling along the Plains to the top of Woodborough hill and back. The pony had been couped up all week and was full of energy when he was let out. There were very few cars and I think we overtook most of them!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just been looking at our wedding photos.  This one shows how the front steps of the church came straight out on to the street.  The little girls were giving me a horseshoe and a lucky black cat.  I don't believe in such stuff but some would say they worked as we married in 1966 and are still together!

IMG-5269.jpg

• Like 5

Looking further on Google I was trying to find the rough path that ran from Woodthorpe Drive, behind the park greenhouses and came out on Woodthorpe Rd. at the back of the Methodist church. This is now a road with houses! Mapperley brickyard where we caught newts is now a housing estate.