Regarding CT's photo a few posts back, there are only two bay window houses left, the ones either side look to have been replaced.  I remember the off licence shop but seem to think it ended up as a betting shop, could be wrong.

As for Phil's path, you can still walk past the side of the church down Woodthorpe Road, keep straight on when the road takes a left turn, past the row of houses on the right and there is a path which takes you past the greenhouses into the park - used it many times.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a cracking picture of the top of Woodborough Road showing Mapperley Methodist Church and the top of Porchester Road - hope it inspires some memories  

Rob, I think the picture would have been taken in the 60's when they started building on the land behind what was once Wardles's garage (i.e.before Wheelhouse had it).   We used to play football and g

Plains Road looking towards Nottingham. The road on the left is the top of Westdale Lane.

Posted Images

@philmayfield  I certainly don't look like a young bride now... when you come to a meet up you'll just see an old lady, but Thankyou for the comment ilikeyou,

The path that @Paradiddle  mentions does indeed still exist, but the cinder path that YOU are thinking of, Phil, no longer exists.  I remember coming down Woodthorpe Road and turning left down the track with a ditch on the left.  It then bore right and passed the greenhouses on the left.  We sometimes used to buy salad produce from them.  Then the track came to the gated entrance to the park on your left and carried on down to Woodthorpe Drive.  There was no entrance to the park as now - via a car park!   

If you travel by google again, there are 2 big trees where the cinder track turned left as you get to the bottom of Woodthorpe Road

• Like 1

We used to use that route for cub/scout 'tracking'.  Tying knots in clumps of long grass, arrows from twigs or stones.  Such simple pleasures.  

One memory is of a Scout open evening, when I was still in cubs, about 1956, held on what was the old railway station area in Woodthorpe Park. I remember either Beverley Abel (son of the butcher, Albert from Mapperley) or Derek Savage, giving a cowboy style rope spinning demonstration. Most impressive.

I had two wedding photos with pics on those steps Margie.  Neither were blessed with black cats, so maybe we were doomed from the start? 

I was in the same form as Beverley Abel at Carlton le Willows!  I remember him as being the form joker - always making us laugh..

Socram, I'm not a believer in such things as lucky black cats, so I doubt that was the reason.  I hope you've now found happiness....

• 3 weeks later...

Liz.I have just googled CRR 91 which I recall was one of Roy's double deckers which I went on in the early sixties when I was at ACHS.Previously it was owned by West Bridgford UDC and I think Roy also had CRR 93.Pictures appear on bus websites and actually mention Roy's Motors.

• 3 weeks later...

Prior to Roy's acquisition of the two double deckers, as I remember, he had 1 Bedford OB coach, on which we travelled to Bramcote 1957. (Maybe he had another for the Eastwood run?) He must have bought the double deckers ready for the 1958/59 school year.  Out of the area, but on the way past Wollaton Park on Derby Road, there was a fair sized strip of subsidence in the road and there were a few banged heads, morning and night.

Coming home to Mapperley, the drivers opted either for a run at Woodthorpe Drive - steep at the bottom, or Breck Hill, steep at the top. Only Roy himself seemed to be really adept at a swift double de-clutch down change to get up Breck Hill. More than once, pupils had to get off and walk up the last bit of the hill, especially in one of those thick fogs.     

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 9:07 AM, MargieH said:

I was in the same form as Beverley Abel at Carlton le Willows!  I remember him as being the form joker - always making us laugh..

Socram, I'm not a believer in such things as lucky black cats, so I doubt that was the reason.  I hope you've now found happiness....

A long time since I’ve been on this site but glad that I did as was reminiscing of people and places from yesteryear.In the sixties I was in care ‘Springfield’ NCH.
For some of us Mapperley Methodist Church was our regular on a Sunday.

One Sunday in every month after service I’d walk to the Abel’s res in Digby Avenue Where I’d been invited.Always hoped Beverley would be there as he’d a great sense of humour.

I left Nottingham In ‘69 and lost touch with all I knew.Very happy days looking back.

Welcome tuller, I'm sure you will find lots of answers to your questions,and look forward to reading your posts. There are a few members who have some connection with the church in question, just give it time. all the best and stay safe.

Hello Tuller and welcome!   I think you must be younger than me - I was born in 1943... how strange that you knew Beverley Abel.  I wonder if his ears are burning!

I used to attend some Sunday morning services at the Methodist around 1957 - 60 as a teenager, got married there in 1966, and my husband and I would also go when we were over  in Nottingham visiting my parents.  It was Rev Widdowson who married us, along with my husband's dad who was also a Meth minister...

Looking forward to reading  more of your memories about your early life.

23 hours ago, Waddo said:

Welcome tuller, I'm sure you will find lots of answers to your questions,and look forward to reading your posts. There are a few members who have some connection with the church in question, just give it time. all the best and stay safe.

Hello Waddo and thanks for the welcome though have to say my link to Mapperley fairly tenuous, that being a walk to and from church (x4 on Sunday) plus the annual school cross country, knee deep in mud, around Woodthorpe Park. 

19 hours ago, MargieH said:

Hello Tuller and welcome!   I think you must be younger than me - I was born in 1943... how strange that you knew Beverley Abel.  I wonder if his ears are burning!

I used to attend some Sunday morning services at the Methodist around 1957 - 60 as a teenager, got married there in 1966, and my husband and I would also go when we were over  in Nottingham visiting my parents.  It was Rev Widdowson who married us, along with my husband's dad who was also a Meth minister...

Looking forward to reading  more of your memories about your early life.

Hello MargieH and thankyou for the welcome.Have been trying to send a link  re Beverley .trying again now ..fingers crossed

https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/16607766.obituary-bev-abel-eminent-urologist-and-pioneer-in-kidney-treatments/?ref=erec

• Like 2

@Tuller  Thank you for the link.   I just remember his  making us all laugh in class.   What a remarkable career he had......  I've put the link on the Carlton le Willows Facebook group and people are already responding.

........ but it's made me feel sad....

Well thank you Tuller for telling us about Beverley Abel (funny name for a boy) and thank you Margie for putting the link on the Carlton-Le-Willows Facebook page, it’s certainly created a lot of interest amongst old pupils.  Even though I didn’t know him I’m feeling proud that he was educated at the same establishment as me ........ he achieved rather more than me though!  

• Like 1

Success in life comes in many forms, Lizzie....  and it's not necessarily through academic achievements and amazing careers!   

• Like 3

On a lighter note re your wedding being a regular ,if somewhat reluctant,member of Mapperley Methodist ,I do recall Rev Widdowson.Think he was follicly challenged just like myself nowadays.Don’t recall who was before or came after.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Well thank you Tuller for telling us about Beverley Abel (funny name for a boy) and thank you Margie for putting the link on the Carlton-Le-Willows Facebook page, it’s certainly created a lot of interest amongst old pupils.  Even though I didn’t know him I’m feeling proud that he was educated at the same establishment as me ........ he achieved rather more than me though!  

Carlton-Le-Willows(even the name sounds posh)has someone to be very proud of indeed.

• Like 1

I think Rev Widdows followed J B Peet - by far and away the best minister we had. Before that, it might have been Rev Jones, and the Manse back then was on Hazel Grove (23?).

Rev Jones had an Austin 10 (?) and occasionally, if he was passing, gave us a lift to Spring Lane Chapel, where we went to Sunday School for too many years - I was introduced by Andy Wood, as they lived at the top of Gedling Lane, before they moved to Imperial Ave, off Westdale Lane. 

Rev John Peet made his entrance at the annual men's concert, dragging his trousers....

The normal term of engagement for a Methodist Minister, was four years, but the church council could extend that to five, or cut it back to 3.

Sadly, some of the miserable old bats objected to JBP, as he developed a real rapport with the youngsters of the church, popping in to Scouts, Guides, Youth Club on a regular basis, and they didn't like that at all... So they moved him on after three.  A real shame, as his monthly family service sermons were usually entertaining.  

I think that Rev Widdows may well have stayed for five years and he certainly officiated at one of my two weddings there!    

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Just remembered, Rev Tom Cawthera (sp)was probably the minster after Jones.  Amazing what randomly pops into your head.

Not sure if we mentioned it before, but Russell's bakery was on the corner of Robinson Rd, opposite Judges.

Here n NZ, I long for decent sausages (and Pork Farm's pies!) and remember that we had exclusively, pork sausages, but Judges also used to sell the lesser, beef sausages.  Local sausages here are more expensive than skinless chicken breasts - so much or them being a cheap meal.

Judges also did massive home made pikelets, tasty Chelsea buns and coconut macaroons.

Dewsbury's hot cross buns, and Saturday's wholemeal loaf, were as good as we have ever had.

I remember round buns with icing and a cherry on the top (not Chelsea buns) from Judges.  Loved them.  
I remember a shop opposite Judges where a Mrs Armstrong sold ice cream in cornets - the ice cream had bits of ice in it..... lovely.  Also a toy shop -Bramleys - which was also a dolls’ hospital 

Margie, I don't want to go off topic too much but, am I right in remembering a Judge's branch on Mansfield Road? Your description of their cherry topped buns (with sultanas in them) brought back memories (nostaglia!!)

Socram, regarding Pork Farms pork pies, on my last visit to England (Christmas/New year 2017 - 18) I tried one of the aforementioned "delicacies". It bore little or no resemblance to what I remembered. My (French) carer sampled a piece and his reaction was "Merde putain terrible".

Yes Jonab..........There was a Judge's on Mansfield road Sherwood,,,opposite the photo i put on the other day of Thrifty in 1967...

Thats right Cliff ton....Wilko was Fine Fare,,then it was Pork Farms,,Judges,,Britons fruit and veg,,.(not necessarily in that order)..........Funny thing is Wilko's was across the road where it traded as Wilkinsons,,and just below them was a store i'll bet most had forgot....Elmo supermarket....

Pity the buses are there,,,you would see the Spar...which was Thrifty...