I thought there was a Judge's facing the old Victoria Centre car park on Mansfield Road.  It had a very elaborate fascia and interior fittings, almost Victorian or Edwardian. I hope it wasn't all smashed to smithereens when it closed, but I'm not too hopeful.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a cracking picture of the top of Woodborough Road showing Mapperley Methodist Church and the top of Porchester Road - hope it inspires some memories  

Rob, I think the picture would have been taken in the 60's when they started building on the land behind what was once Wardles's garage (i.e.before Wheelhouse had it).   We used to play football and g

Plains Road looking towards Nottingham. The road on the left is the top of Westdale Lane.

Posted Images

It's Grade 2 listed and some of the internal features survive, mentioned on this page,

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6225183

2 images, (click the link at the top of the picture) one shows a close up of the original 1860 shop front which is under the red paint from the Restaurant.

I suspect the panels under the window will have been replaced in the past.

• Like 1

Very pleased to know it hasn't gone the way of many buildings which should have been preserved. Such work would be prohibited today by reason of its cost. We are not likely to see such quality and craftsmanship again.

• Like 1

Elizabeth Bramley's shop as I recall, was not only a doll's hospital, but  think she also sold knitting yarns and patterns, but she was also a stockist for Dinky Toys. Back then, Dad used to have the 'Meccano Magazine' monthly and Dinky would produce a new model each month.  I think I'd peer in the window, at least once a month just to see the latest offerings.

Some were released at the same time as the full sized car.  Although they were effectively pocket money toys/models for some, they were out of my price range.

Not sure if she also stocked Meccano and Hornby trains and Bayko building sets. (Not sure how many will even remember Bayko.)

Interesting comment about the current Pork Farm's pies. I'm sure they used to have a bit more pepper in them years ago.

I had Hornby 3 Rail.

Meccano.

And Bayko, had some of that.

Metal rods and Plastic panels.

There's still a following for it now;

https://www.baykoshop.com/

I wonder if I was engineering orientated from birth or whether Meccano and Bayko turned me into one?

Re Pork Pies, they've probably lost something in between relatively small scale production to factory large scale and being sold by the original family.

Quote from Pork Farms site,

The Pork Farms legacy started way back in 1931 when local Nottinghamshire baker Ken Parr took out a loan to open his first bakery, and the rest as they say is history.

Ken’s pies became legendary and his original recipe is still used to inspire our Pork Farms bakeries today.

I’m a bit of a pork pie connoisseur. Pork Farm’s used to be good but they’re just bland, mass produced, indifferent pies now. I though the best pies locally were from Jack Bailey’s at Upper Broughton but that  butcher’s shop is now sadly closed. About 20 years ago a group of us used to meet in our local at early doors and we’d try to bring in a pork pie which we’d bought on our travels. It made for an interesting tasting experience! Can anyone recommend a really good local pie for me to sample?

Drat!!!  I'm just about to cut a chunk out of a 'Pork Farms Original' Pork Pie purchased as part of a Tesco Home Delivery. No size or weight mentioned on the label but it's about 12 Oz. I'll limit myself to 1/4 of it for lunch, along with fresh Tomatoes, Cooked Beetroot, a few olives and one of those lovely big Polish pickled Gherkins that come in big jars.  I'll let you know what I think.

@Socram   And @Stuart.C I’ve still got my Bayko set, although it’s not in its box anymore.  I loved playing with it  - my mum probably bought it from Bramleys.  I remember now that she did indeed sell knitting yarn and patterns....

Re: Bayko.  I recall we had some too.

Re: Pork Farms Pies.  Finally found the size on the pack.  'Medium' 

It was Ok but no more. Crust fairly crispy, filling a bit dry and too finely cut for my taste. Not much flavour.  Not much by way of jelly.

phil m.  If you're ever in Westfield Street St Helens before 10:30 am there's a legendary shop called Burchall's which has people queuing every morning and always sells out of pies quickly.  I'm told they are Pork Pies... still hot.. though I've never tried one.

Another local firm called Pimblett's went out of business maybe ten years ago.  They made the usual.. 'Steak' pies with almost suicidal levels of pepper.. even for my taste, 'Meat and Potato.. often with added bits of bone..  etc.  They were resurrected as 'Pimmies Pies' by a former employee.  I visited his industrial unit when looking to buy Hot Pot for my 70th and left fully resolved never to knowingly eat anything produced there.  Appalling hygeine.   I purchased instead from another St Helens institution 'Cottoms', who clearly do understand hygeine and make a fine Hotpot, as well as lots of other goodies

I have noticed that many things sold as 'Pork' Pies here in the North West have fillings which are red.  Not the colour of cooked pork in my view and I'm not impressed.

Another thing they have up here is the 'Meat' Pie. Often similar looking to a Pork Pie but containing some brownish unspecified 'meat', with a distinctly 'offalish' taste.  Awful things. I've never been able to establish exactly what the 'meat' is that they contain.

On the upside we have Bolton based Greenhalgh's Bakery, whose pies are superb.  I'm particularly fond of their Steak and Ale.  Sadly for Nottstalgians the nearest branch to you is in Cheadle near Stockport.   https://www.greenhalghs.com/about-us/

I remember Bayko because although I never had one myself, a cousin had a set and I was very impressed. I liked the idea that you constructed buildings by putting up scaffolding (almost scaffolding - the vertical steel rods) and then slotting the wall panels in between those rods. It seemed more realistic than any alternative I'd come across.

I inherited a Bayko set from an older brother. It was fun to play with, but quite limited in what you could do with it. It quickly got discarded when Santa brought me a box of Lego one Christmas.

As for pork pies, modern mass-produced Pork Farms are tasteless compared to the old recipe. Nearest In taste I’ve found in supermarkets is Dickinson & Morris.

• 5 months later...

Christmas here in NZ - and no Pork Farms pie, which was always a tradition in Nottingham. Slightly salty jelly and peppery pork filling. Ho hum.

Dec 27th 1989 dad passed away in his favourite chair - Plains Rd. 

• Like 3

Socram.. you have just reminded me. I could have sworn we had a Pork Pie somewhere...

.....just found it hiding at the back of the fridge.. with a 'use by' date of 27th Dec.  I'm sure it will be OK later today (28th)

That's lunch sorted.....  :biggrin:

Question DJ360     I too like "Pork Pie"  but is it Pork Farms    Are  they are still trading ?   I think  that the factory is no longer Pork farms (I think I'm right saying this but I know if I'm wrong you will tell me) All the shops have gone, to me the sausage and the pork pies where the best.                                                                       I have brought a pork pie saying on the wrapper Pork Farms Melton porkpie these are not as good as the original. There Tomatoes sausage was the best.

On 7/5/2020 at 12:27 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Thats right Cliff ton....Wilko was Fine Fare,,then it was Pork Farms,,Judges,,Britons fruit and veg,,.(not necessarily in that order)..........Funny thing is Wilko's was across the road where it traded as Wilkinsons,,and just below them was a store i'll bet most had forgot....Elmo supermarket....

Pity the buses are there,,,you would see the Spar...which was Thrifty...

Ben if this is Sherwood was there a pork butchers called i think "Budells" or something like that it was facing Clarks Shoes  just below bus garage  which was on same side as pork shop

Cant recall them Mary.....that was bottom end near Marsdens..who had a great Manager Sid Howard....one of Colonel Wingates chindits during WW2  Bless him     

Morning Ben was this Carrington end ? I used to work in Sherwood many moons ago, just going over the small hill on the Arnold bus and you arrive in Sherwood . As you get off the bus there was a dentish called Torz this was on your left then a restrant named , Parrkeetoe facing them was a Genral store/photographer/dry cleaners/ Hairdresser (Barbra Chapmans) where I worked across the road was Hydon Rd then past this road same side you came to a double fronted shop called (Burddells) it sold all home made foods, mabe that's why you can't remember it Ben, it was a family business,

• Like 1