Yep but then again it could another weatherspoons 

I can see it being flattened and 45 house squeezed in

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a cracking picture of the top of Woodborough Road showing Mapperley Methodist Church and the top of Porchester Road - hope it inspires some memories  

Rob, I think the picture would have been taken in the 60's when they started building on the land behind what was once Wardles's garage (i.e.before Wheelhouse had it).   We used to play football and g

Plains Road looking towards Nottingham. The road on the left is the top of Westdale Lane.

Posted Images

I remember the pulpit looking like a sort-of tan/beige/white marble.  And there were blue curtains in the choir stalls.  Did you know a girl called Rachel (I think). Her dad was a man with white hair in the choir.   We met her when Paul and I were working as hosts for a week in a Methodist Guild hotel in Whitby.  She was a member of staff there that Summer.  This would have been in the 1990s

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 8:02 AM, Arnold Mick said:

I seem to think we called it 'Murderball'! Played it at school and in the Boys Brigade a few times. Good fun.

Played it once when 'relaxing' out on manoeuvres in the TA. Never again!

This wouldn't be the Arnold Mick in the Boys Brigade who worked at AB Gibsons - print department - in Daybrook would it? If so, would love to catch up.

When did you work for AB Gibsons Socram ?.......i had about ten years with them thru the 70s........

On 5/20/2021 at 6:52 PM, benjamin1945 said:

When did you work for AB Gibsons Socram ?.......i had about ten years with them thru the 70s........

About Feb 1963 - May 1965. FoxR worked next door in the Work Study Dept. Little did I know that a decade or more later, Work Study would be my profession, rather than printing. 

Not really Mapperley Top related - though it was a fair walk to and from Daybrook - especially walking up Somersby Rd on a warm summer's day, having been on my feet for at least 8 hours.

I doubt that the Methodist Church would be turned into a Wetherspoons, given that there is one 300 yards away and as someone else has stated, car parking is an issue.

On 5/7/2021 at 7:26 AM, Winnie6664 said:

The off licence or "beer off" next to the Dorchester was run in the 60's by an old crone.

Yes we lived 4 doors away... Her name was Mrs.Payne...she used to rubber stamp her pop bottles and you'd take them back and she would give you your 6d deposit back, the only thing was we used to climb over her back gate and pinch the bottles out of the grates and take them back and get more tanners. 

She also had one of those phones on the wall that she had to hold the ear piece to her tab and to make a call she had to crank the handle on the side.

She was very well off too with afew properties on Haywood Road and she closed the shop every Thursday afternoon and a chauffer took her into town in a roller wearing a big fur coat... Bless her she lost her marbles and she'd sit in the shop window and that's where she died. 

• Like 4

What a great story ube!  Straight out of a Giles cartoon.

Might have been just 2d back on the small bottles of 'pop'!  The place always seemed to smell fusty and as I recall, dusty bare floorboards. I presume some customers took their own containers for sherry and port and judging by the smell, beer too.   

The keyholder for the Methodist church lived down Eaton St (Mr Upton) and one of his daughters seemed to have a bit of a crush on one of my brothers!  

18 hours ago, ube said:

she used to rubber stamp her pop bottles and you'd take them back and she would give you your 6d deposit back, the only thing was we used to climb over her back gate and pinch the bottles out of the grates and take them back and get more tanners

We ran a 'Beer Off' during the 70/80s and this is exactly the same thing that happened with us. The local kids did the same. We discovered what was happening during one snowy winters night, when hubbs trailed the footprints in the snow from the gate to the crates and back again. Little Bo99ers!. :crazy:

11 hours ago, Socram said:

The place always seemed to smell fusty and as I recall,

Everything in there used to taste of mint no matter what you brought from there... I used to live in the Bookies(Jack Hardys) at the top of Eaton St opposite the church, our back came out on the street many a happy time spent on that Street it had everything you needed for fun times there was even a small holding at the bottom(Woodwards) in fact I went back there afew weeks ago and me initials are still craved in the bricks of the old barn.... Can't recall Mr. Upton though

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 1:51 AM, Socram said:

This wouldn't be the Arnold Mick in the Boys Brigade who worked at AB Gibsons - print department - in Daybrook would it? If so, would love to catch up.

No sorry, Socram, although in the 26th Arnold BB from 1958 to 1966 I never had the privilege of working at AB Gibsons. Whilst in the BB I worked at W J Furse, Traffic Street, Nottingham.

On 6/1/2021 at 9:46 AM, Arnold Mick said:

No sorry, Socram, although in the 26th Arnold BB from 1958 to 1966 I never had the privilege of working at AB Gibsons. Whilst in the BB I worked at W J Furse, Traffic Street, Nottingham.

I'm not sure how many BB's there were in Arnold back then, but the Mick I knew was Mick Martin.  As I recall, he lived just off Ravenswood Rd, Leivers Ave(?), and was definitely in the BB 1964/1965. 

Wow UBE. Fancy you living so close to the old beer off. I remember the stamp on the bottles. She would sell us one fag at a time and beer, even though we were way underage. Decimalisation freaked her out something rotten - she used to try and convert between the currencies! Never knew she was rich. Did you know Patsy O'Carroll a few doors down from you?

• 1 month later...

Here's a couple of pictures for those interested in this thread.

Mapperley-Meths.jpg

Looks like for the moment the church is still a church!

A little further along opposite The Wells Road, developments are afoot.

Mapperley-Brickworks.jpg

They may need traffic lights at that junction, with all that extra housing - and not before time some would say, especially those living down Wells Rd and with all the extra visitors to the Aldi supermarket.

With regard to that site, I noticed the car dealership "Speedoo and Eddie" (site previously occupied by Millennium Motors and World of Cars) had closed a few weeks ago and the summer houses (big sheds) to the left have all but gone (just one Wendy house left).  Today there were a couple of guys putting a metal fence up at the front of the plot and I saw demolition signage.

Flipping eck more houses, just hope there's going to affordable housing..... Sort of sad really when you see your play grounds of yesteryear disappearing.... Spent many a happy time playing in the brickyards newting, mud bombing the blokes working down in the excavations and skating in winter on the frozen ponds.... Infact I was up Mapperley Top the other day and to say I was born n bred there I might as well been in a foreign land!!!!! 

• Upvote 1

Our playgrounds disappeared long ago!

Building dens on Maltby Road and - the stand of trees that backed on to it.

The fields behind what was Wardle's garage (later Wheelhouses') and behind the Tree Tops and the farm, all the way down to what was the old railway and out to Gedling Lane on one side and Somersby Road on the other.

Breck Hill fields in the winter for 'sledging'.

The practice pitch at the Gedling Colliery miner's welfare.

When they started building on Walsingham, the new, part built houses were a favourite playground. Climbing scaffolding was fun.  Nowadays, security fencing and danger signs everywhere on any building site. Probably these days to stop stuff being nicked or vandals defacing everything. 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Indeed.  Pretty much every development I see, particularly in the City Centre, seems to be 'Luxury student accommodation".  I wonder whether this will eventually mean the end of the multiple occupancy, often squalid, accommodation in Lenton, Dunkirk, Sneinton, Radford, etc. as students aspire to something better?

That's the arguement they keep giving, to free up conventional houses for families.

An extract from the Planning statement from the larger of the 2 developments, on the old Post Office Parcel site;

There is an unequivocal need for  purpose-built student accommodation in Nottingham Providing modern, high-quality PBSA on site will support the fulfilment of an identified capacity need, enhance student experience in the City, have wide reaching benefits for the community through the residency of students and free-up family housing elsewhere in the City, currently used as ‘Other Rented Accommodation’
for students.

Nottingham has the 4th largest full-time student population in the UK outside of London, with just over 63,800 full-time students as at 2019/20. In the five years prior, the student population grew by over 23%, the highest rate of other comparable cities.