However many of them there may be, keeping students all in one place has a number of benefits. 

When they live in normal houses amongst normal people, there are always complaints about noise, litter, car parking, anti-social behaviour, etc etc, caused by the students. Their increasing presence has ruined many previously-decent areas.

• Like 1
  • Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a cracking picture of the top of Woodborough Road showing Mapperley Methodist Church and the top of Porchester Road - hope it inspires some memories  

Rob, I think the picture would have been taken in the 60's when they started building on the land behind what was once Wardles's garage (i.e.before Wheelhouse had it).   We used to play football and g

Plains Road looking towards Nottingham. The road on the left is the top of Westdale Lane.

Posted Images

I only ever remember it as a sunken car park with a modernish building on it in the 70's/ 80's.

May have been Don Greenwood Cardboard boxes, (same D.G as the founder of the Private Hire car company.)

Looks like Google managed to go in there by mistake;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9802474,-1.1306051,3a,75y,332.21h,79.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4UEmDltktDH5A2CXcBkPqQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Looking on various old maps, there never appears to have been any building on that corner plot, going back to the late 1800s. Amazing how it's been ignored for so long.

It has only ever been a garden/yard/waste ground/etc etc for other properties.

It may be prone to intermittent flooding. There is usually a reason why land isn't built upon and in recent years many properties have been constructed on land which floods intermittently. The locals know these things. The new owners don't....until they get flooded out!

On a plan attached to the planning application for the flats, the land shows as a Crane Depot from 1968.

On a 1978 plan it's just a Depot.

On a plan dated 1966 it appears to be the original garden? layout with no buildings shown.

Planning for the flats lapsed in 2020, unless someone has done some work to consider the development started.

The planned flats sit above a parking area.

Nwctsgl.png

I think something has been started - I saw some concrete wall formwork there a couple of weeks ago.

While we are on Mapperley Top, there is another plot that stands empty - corner of Plains Road and Central Avenue.

Here's an advert relating to Wells Rd but I can't see any date on it or the PDF linked on the advert.

https://www.marriotts.net/property/details/the-wells-road

A bit of concrete should been enough to preserve the planning.

My Son owns a farm with planning for development of the outbuildings, all we had to do there, with agreement from the Planning Officer was to lift up the stone floor in one and remove the timber upper floor in another.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 11:01 AM, The Engineer said:

While we are on Mapperley Top, there is another plot that stands empty - corner of Plains Road and Central Avenue.

For many years, that was the turnaround/terminus for the 31 bus.

Prior to that, the buses left from alongside Plains School playground and prior to that, a bit further along, just before Westdale Lane - alongside some rather grubby public toilets.

I can only presume that before the turnaround, buses must have reversed into Plains Grove, or even  Hazel Grove or Steedman Avenue, probably with the assistance of the conductor. Not a manoeuvre you'd want to try today. 

On 9/29/2021 at 6:48 PM, Stuart.C said:

On a plan dated 1966 it appears to be the original garden?

Yep it used to be an allotment there before Speed Electric crane/folk lift.... Me mates Dad(George Butterworth of Eaton Street) used have the allotment..... Talking of Eaton Street.... Took a quick look down there and mine and me mates initals are still there carved in brickwork from the 60's:blink:

CT I clicked the link you posted and was very happy to see the church where Paul and I married back in 1966.

I believe it’s still being used as a church - that’s good.  We must visit it when we are next in Nottingham

I think I heard it was operating as a different church - Mustard Seed Chapel International - not one of the main denominations?

9 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Which side of Eaton Street

As you go down on your right there is a barn just before the entry..... All on there:biggrin:

9 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

RH and MARK are on this one

To the left of mark IC that's me

.... RH=Richard Henson.... Mark=Mark Fawsit

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...