Edited,,
The Cinema site does not have approval.
New application would be required.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.980824,-1.1314613,50a,35y,122.67h,58.56t/data=!3m1!1e3

The corner plot has had planning for a while, must be that that's starting (re-starting) as it had previous work done probably to preserve the planning.

Does not include the the takeaway building

C9cm8XM.png

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a cracking picture of the top of Woodborough Road showing Mapperley Methodist Church and the top of Porchester Road - hope it inspires some memories  

Rob, I think the picture would have been taken in the 60's when they started building on the land behind what was once Wardles's garage (i.e.before Wheelhouse had it).   We used to play football and g

Plains Road looking towards Nottingham. The road on the left is the top of Westdale Lane.

Posted Images

Pre-COVID the old Majestic was the 'Haunted Museum and Oddities', complete with Scooby Doo type camper van outside.

This article suggests it is Grade II listed:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nottinghampost.com/whats-on/whats-on-news/sadness-nottinghams-haunted-museum-marks-5531684.amp

• 1 month later...

Used to go to Dewsbury's on my roller skates, remember those little miniature Hovis loaves   He also made cakes and would sell you a bag of stale cakes for sixpence (old money), not really fit for consumption but when you're a growing lad who cares!

Vaguely remember Richard Dewsbury.

• 2 months later...

A number of aerial photos from the late 1940s have been recently put online.

This is Plains Road, Mapperley, looking towards the shops in the top right. On the left is the garage which was on the corner of Central Avenue - opposite the top of Somersby Road. In the 70s-80s I remember it being a Honda (?) dealer, then Volvo.

Roughly in the centre of the photo is the old school on the corner of Hazel Grove - now housing.

pPcHGel.jpg

• Like 2

Great photograph! Presumably taken by H Tempest Ltd - as most other aerial photographs of Nottingham were.  Any idea of the exact year? I'm in touch with the grandson of Horace Tempest, who is keen to learn more about the history of the company and of his Grandfather. 

The garage back then was run by Jack Horde (I think). Dad used to help out and where he first met Mum, who stopped to have some air in her tyre, having cycled from Lambley. 

The garage then became Sharpes and the photograph is before Roy and Brenda Sharpe had a bungalow built on the corner. (Liz Gericke will be interested.)  For most of our lives it was 'Roys Motors'. Later, Speed's Volvo then later still, a Honda dealer.

Somersby Road doesn't appear to be sealed at all and for many years, only the very top section was sealed, and only as far as Malmsbury.

The lower side of Maltby Road has no houses on the pic and that rough ground and the trees were a favourite play area. 

Paradiddle has previously published photographs looking from the other direction. 

Out of a matter of interest Cliff Ton, where have the other photographs been published?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Socram said:

Out of a matter of interest Cliff Ton, where have the other photographs been published?

The new ones - including my post - are here.   (and also includes links to all the Britain from Above images).

https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/archive/collections/aerial-photos/?fbclid=IwAR1PNhUrAt04MCMNkBOIKzYZOfe7pOOn7e4cAUpe8YUa_w9pGiXQM2j6y_Y

• Like 1

Thanks for that.  The original shows quite a large area including the farm and the original Tree Tops hotel, Crosslands field etc.

Photo taken by the RAF, not H Tempest!

Look at Gedling Miners welfare. Just the one building, and it looks like the one i used to play snooker in 40 years later. After that the St John's Ambulance folks had it for a while.

And the Tree Tops garden is interesting. It may still have been a house in those days.

I can also see two houses i've lived in, plus my school on Hazel Grove.

It's facinating.

The original pic shows more. 

It was known as Tree Tops Hotel for a long time, but next door was the farm (Steeples?), with Crossland's fields behind. Mr Worsley who lived next door to the garage, would fetch a churn of milk from the farm and bottle it in his tiny outhouse at the rear of the house. Then deliver it in his old Singer van. I remember the broad necked bottles with a cardboard top.  

Top of end of Crosslands was accessed by a walkway alongside what was Wardles Garage (later, Wheelhouse's). 

There was a small pond there too. Great for catching frogspawn - and frogs!  The enormous horse chestnut tree was a favourite climbing spot. 

At the Miner's Welfare, the grounds were well kept but they had a small practice pitch behind the goal, where we often played, often until dusk, or until Dad whistled to call us home.  When the Gedling Colliery football team jogged out on match days, the smell of liniment hung in the air! 

At half time, mugs of tea could be bought from the rear of what we always called 'The Pavillion', facing the bowling greens.

Tuesday night was ladies night and Mum and her sister were there every week.   

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 4/3/2022 at 11:19 AM, Cliff Ton said:

A number of aerial photos from the late 1940s have been recently put online.

This is Plains Road, Mapperley, looking towards the shops in the top right. On the left is the garage which was on the corner of Central Avenue - opposite the top of Somersby Road. In the 70s-80s I remember it being a Honda (?) dealer, then Volvo.

Roughly in the centre of the photo is the old school on the corner of Hazel Grove - now housing.

pPcHGel.jpg

Yes,  so grateful for that photo,  anything that area of Plains Road warms the heart.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:26 AM, Socram said:

Anyone remember Dewsbury's news agency and his wonderful bread?

Loved going in there - I got left outside once in my pram,  apparently usually loud!!! When Mum came out I was quiet and went home without me, Mrs Dewsbury pushed me over the road.

• Upvote 1

@LizGericke  I remember my mum buying an iced bun for me from Judges .... I loved them!  Also I seem to remember it being used as a polling station - I went there with my mum once

By a coincidence this photo appeared on Twitter a couple of days ago . Its a ghost sign or palimpsest (one ghost sign on top of another) at the side of the old Judges shop , now an entrance to the Bread and Bitter pub .

I thought it perhaps said "Hudsons Household Soap" which was popular early 20th Century . Looking again it more obviously could read "Judges" or maybe it's a combination of the two ?

I believe C.W.Judge were certainly at that shop from at least the 1920s so whether prior to that it was a general grocers not sure ?

The shops address is actually Woodthorpe Drive I think . In 1939 153 Woodthorpe Drive was a Fred Dell , Grocer and the next listed property was a Fred Hudson at 3 Plains Rd , Boot and shoe dealer though the Hudson name may be another conicidence

52143116880_7ba4fd1dfa_b.jpg

• Like 2

Whatever was used to over paint the original sign appears to have washed off or faded away, leaving only the original and later black lettering.

In chronological order of painting it appears to have said,

HUDSON'S

HOUSEHOLD

STORES

Then either modified to,

HUDSON'S

HOUSEHOLD STORE

or to

JUDGES

HOUSEHOLD STORE

I can't imagine why Hudsons would have just changed the bottom line so suspect that Judges Household Store was more likely.

• Like 1

There does look to be a definite "G" as in Judge in the uppermost sign but it seems unusual for a bakers/confectioners to call themselves "Household Stores"

There was a Judge's bakery on Mansfield Road near the junction with Bluecoat Street. The fascia was a work of art and the interior fittings equally beautiful. The shop closed many years ago but I hope the interior was somehow preserved. To reproduce fittings like that these days would cost a small fortune.

The property with the sign on is 155 Woodthorpe Drive, where Judges bakery was.

The property that the photographer is standing by is 1 or 3 Plains Rd, that would have been where Hudsons was, so 2 separate businesses?

Maybe Hudsons moved out of 155 and into 3.

Maybe no.1 was the Household stores?

ZIRmlFZ.png

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Re; what Jill has just mentioned. Amazingly despite everything, the Judge name is still above the shop.

Well, the fascia has gone. Not possible to tell what's happened to the interior. Let's hope it was carefully removed and taken for architectural salvage as opposed to being sledgehammered as is so often the case these days. Few people seem to appreciate craftsmanship any more.