• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a cracking picture of the top of Woodborough Road showing Mapperley Methodist Church and the top of Porchester Road - hope it inspires some memories  

Rob, I think the picture would have been taken in the 60's when they started building on the land behind what was once Wardles's garage (i.e.before Wheelhouse had it).   We used to play football and g

Plains Road looking towards Nottingham. The road on the left is the top of Westdale Lane.

Posted Images

Forgive my ignorance  Stuart.C but what's an escape room?

Never heard of that before.  B.

• Like 1

B.K

Escape room is where a group of (usually strangers) are locked in a room and to Escape they have to solve a set of clues which lead to releasing the door lock or way out.

The rooms usually have a theme of some sort either to confuse or assist clue solving.

Rooms have different levels of difficulty and people pay for the privelidge.

Some companies use them for "Team building"

I've never done one, not interested, but have watched a couple of films based on the idea.

They seem to getting popular in the U.K now, just an example,

https://dayoutinengland.com/escape-rooms-in-england/

• Like 1

Thanks very much, Stu-pot , for enlightening me, so had a look at your link. But for the life of me, I can't see the sense in it. Why on Earth would anybody want to be locked up with strangers?, after all, you don't know who you'll be with. Some might be right nutters who may be claustrophobic, or you may find it's yerself. 

Personally, I've been trying to escape 'er indoors for years.  :ninja:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Re; what Jill has just mentioned. Amazingly despite everything, the Judge name is still above the shop.

https://goo.gl/maps/uErZR3NRSxiwWGVKA

That Judge’s shop has more recently been a restaurant called ‘Encounters’. We ate there several years ago, just the once, because we weren’t too impressed.  The restaurant closed down some time ago.  

I looked at the palimpsest this morning as I walked along Mapperley Top.  I don't think it could have been HUDSON'S; there is not enough space to fit 'ON' before the 'S.

I am sure it was simply three lines

JUDGE'S

HOUSEHOLD

STORE

replaced by two lines

JUDGE'S

HOUSEHOLD STORE

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

From BookATable.com

The Bread and Bitter was officially opened by Barrie Judge on December 5th 2007. Back in 1991, Mr Judge shut his bakery on the same site. Now fully restored sixteen years later as a pub, his bakery ovens remain built into the wall in the central area of the pub, along with a "Brewers Graveyard", full of artefacts from closed down breweries of yesteryear.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, The Engineer said:

I don't think it could have been HUDSON'S

I am sure it was simply three lines

JUDGE'S

HOUSEHOLD

STORE

I now agree that it probably never said Hudsons but the mystery remains as to why it was called "Household Store" .

Going right back to the early 1900s C.W.Judge were confectioners , bakers and restaurant owners so seems odd to have that description.

Sadly no Barrie but his widow appears to still be around,

From Nottm Live,

Jennifer added: "It's a little gem which was part of Nottingham's history that was quite important to the city for a long time. It would be a shame for it to be hidden away and lost and we are potentially opening it up to the public in a fun way."

There will be three themed escape rooms at the site, named Judges Escape Emporium as a nod to the bakery which was built in 1860 and taken over by C.W. Judge in 1889. The bakery, which had no drainage, moved to Mapperley in 1912 but shop above remained open selling bread and cakes until 1992 when the fourth generation owner Barrie Judge - the son of a city councillor - retired.

His widow Wendy Judge, of Colwick, described the new venture as "wonderful". She said: "I think it is most imaginative and they are full of ingenuity. It's a delight to behold after so long of trying to find the right people to take it on. We never wanted it to be spoilt. We always felt it was Nottingham history.

Mrs Judge's collection of old black and white photographs of the bakery will be going up on the wall. They include a display of cakes for the Queen's Coronation in the shop window.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/whats-on/whats-on-news/building-work-new-nottingham-escape-7066730?fbclid=IwAR13VKyYRjkXllnPSPT86kS8Jlcyffq_kV1sY-0eeO7pwi6xIf5aNzv0hgE

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 11:19 AM, Cliff Ton said:

A number of aerial photos from the late 1940s have been recently put online.

This is Plains Road, Mapperley, looking towards the shops in the top right. On the left is the garage which was on the corner of Central Avenue - opposite the top of Somersby Road. In the 70s-80s I remember it being a Honda (?) dealer, then Volvo.

This website has added new aerial views of the same area; these are directly above rather than from an angle. Hover your mouse over the image and you can zoom in. This is Gedling Colliery/Arnold Lane/ Mapperley Top.

https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/archive/collections/aerial-photos/record/RAF_58_1096_F21_0230

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember Barrie Judge very well - always wearing a white coat.

When I buy a packet of crumpets today, I yearn for Judges individual pyclets, which were almost the side of a side plate, not the miserable little things we get here! 

Most of the shopkeepers back then were owners and we knew most of them - and they knew us. 

When it comes to house numbering on Plains Road, the odd numbers started next door to Judges, but originally, the even numbers didn't start until the top of Westdale Lane.  So Beardsleys, who owned the fish and chip shop, (and lived next door to Liz Gericke's grandparents), were number 60 I think, then later, renumbered to 120.   

On the odd and even numbers, I recall being told 'odds on the left and even on the right' as you progressed away from a town.  Example is Carlton Road (odds on left from Nottingham) vs Carlton Hill (odds on left from Carlton) hence the switch from odd to even where they join.

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2022 at 10:25 AM, Socram said:

I remember Barrie Judge very well - always wearing a white coat.

When I buy a packet of crumpets today, I yearn for Judges individual pyclets, which were almost the side of a side plate, not the miserable little things we get here! 

Most of the shopkeepers back then were owners and we knew most of them - and they knew us. 

When it comes to house numbering on Plains Road, the odd numbers started next door to Judges, but originally, the even numbers didn't start until the top of Westdale Lane.  So Beardsleys, who owned the fish and chip shop, (and lived next door to Liz Gericke's grandparents), were number 60 I think, then later, renumbered to 120.   

My grandparents were 60 so Beardsleys must have been 62.  We were 48,  it was Hoards old house before they moved to Digby Avenue.  

I can remember your cousin Angela coming every year at Goose Fair,  I loved her to bits.

@LizGericke  I remember Judges pyclets in the late 40s/ early 50s.   Used to toast them over the fire at home.

did Mrs Beardsley sell ice cream in cornets?   I remember it had bits of ice in and was lovely.  If I’m thinking of the same lady, she had shortish white hair.

Was she next door to Mrs Bramleys shop?  Mum took one of my dolls to the dolls’ hospital where my bald pot doll was given hair - a wig was stuck on her head and I didn’t like it!!!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry Margie, but Mrs Beardsley (and Mr) ran the chip shop, so wouldn't have sold ice cream!

Liz, the previous owner of the garage I think was Jack Horde, so that must have been next door to the garage?  Your parents then built the bungalow on the opposite side of the garage, on the corner with Central Avenue.

Back to Mapperley top itself, across the road from Judges, was Russells' bakery, corner of Whittingham, and I seem to remember buying the rolls for the hot dogs for the cub's Christmas party. I think Russells lived on the bottom corner of Central Avenue next to the entrance to the golf course. 

• 2 months later...

Here's a photo of an unruly bunch of Mapperley Methodist 110th Scouts.  I think one of Nottsalgia's esteemed members might recognize a face or two!

url=https://postimg.cc/d7nx9b17]Scouts01a.jpg[/url]

Scouts02a.jpg

Scouts03a.jpg

These were extracted from an old cine film which I paid an arm and leg for to be transferred to MP4.  The location is Epperstone, probably early 70's.

• Upvote 2
On 11/6/2022 at 7:56 PM, Paradiddle said:

Here's a photo of an unruly bunch of Mapperley Methodist 110th Scouts.  I think one of Nottsalgia's esteemed members might recognize a face or two!

Can you give us a clue as to who we might be seeing ?

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know when the 110th Nottingham, Mapperley Methodists group ceased?

And why?

Shortage of leaders/helpers maybe?

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2022 at 7:02 PM, Paradiddle said:

CT, on page 13 of this thread one of our members mentions scratching his initials on a wall.  I could be wrong but one of the faces on the first photo has the same initials!!!!

If I'm right, will he own up?

Guilty as charged....but I'm grassing a couple more up for signing the same wall