Affordable? From their menu…

Battered Line Caught Haddock £18
Skinny Fries, Mushy Peas, Tartar Sauce & The Reindeer Gravy

No idea what reindeer gravy is, but eighteen quid, and gravy with fish and chips?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a cracking picture of the top of Woodborough Road showing Mapperley Methodist Church and the top of Porchester Road - hope it inspires some memories  

Rob, I think the picture would have been taken in the 60's when they started building on the land behind what was once Wardles's garage (i.e.before Wheelhouse had it).   We used to play football and g

Plains Road looking towards Nottingham. The road on the left is the top of Westdale Lane.

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Rob.L said:

No idea what reindeer gravy is, but eighteen quid, and gravy with fish and chips?

Gravy with fish and chips is a Northern thing apparently quite popular there along with mushy peas and curry sauce.

I wonder which part of the reindeer they use to make the gravy, the antlers, hooves

1 hour ago, denshaw said:

I went to Stadium leisure in Basford on Tuesday, 3 course meal for £7.25.

The menu is on Stadium leisure facebook page.

My husband went there last week to play snooker.  He used to go there regularly but got out of the habit.  We had a snooker room at our previous house which was brilliant for parties and to keep our teenage boys and their friends entertained.  

1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

We had a snooker room at our previous house which was brilliant for parties and to keep our teenage boys and their friends entertained.  

Lucky you, I have always wanted a full-sized billiard table and a room big enough to put it in. I could easily fit two in my shed but where would I put all my other stuff. My grandad taught me how to play billiards at the local miners welfare when I was fourteen, they had a beautiful billiards room. Sadly both it and the building that housed it were demolished long ago.

• Like 1

If ever you come back to the UK or we ever get to OZ  I will challenge you to a game of Snooker and Billiards . 

but for now we will have to take a rain-check.

3 hours ago, mary1947 said:

If ever you come back to the UK or we ever get to OZ  I will challenge you to a game of Snooker and Billiards . 

but for now we will have to take a rain-check.

You are on Mary

Remember this

Commentator Ted Lowe, aware that not all viewers had colour televisions at the time, said "Steve is going for the pink ball – and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green."

Classic UK TV Theme ~ Pot Black (Black And White Rag) (youtube.com)

11 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

You are on Mary

Remember this

Commentator Ted Lowe, aware that not all viewers had colour televisions at the time, said "Steve is going for the pink ball – and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green."

Classic UK TV Theme ~ Pot Black (Black And White Rag) (youtube.com)

We used to visit my mother in law and she still had Black n White TV we did ask how she knew which the colours balls were she just said well I can tell which they are.

21 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

We used to visit my mother in law and she still had Black n White TV we did ask how she knew which the colours balls were she just said well I can tell which they are.

If the balls were spotted it was easy and if you saw the table then there were subtle shades of grey that gave you clues to which ball was which during normal play.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 6:07 PM, philmayfield said:

As I remember the clay carrying trucks were drawn by a cable which was driven by a motor at the brickworks end on Mapperley top. At the Breckhill end the trucks moved round a revolving turntable  thereby changing direction. In the 50's the clay was mined on the far side of Woodthorpe Drive and put into the trucks. The Breckhill field side was a hill sloping down to Melbury Rd. which provided a twisting sledging track around the thorn bushes in a snowy winter. It was a dangerous run and there were some nasty accidents.

It was called the 'death track' - we slegded down it in the late 50's early 60's. To the right of Breckhill fields was a bungalow belonging to Elizabeth Brown - it burnt down after her clothes horse fell onto a paraffin heater in the early 60's. My brother and I started a collection for her in the neighbourhood and my dad took us to the Meadows (where she  was living with her sister until the property was rebuilt) to give her the money. Elizabeth used to chase us off her land for scrumping when we were kids, but after she returned to her new house she said we could take as many apples as we wanted. 

Breckhill fields was our playground for years.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Robert Baguley said:

Elizabeth used to chase us off her land for scrumping when we were kids, but after she returned to her new house she said we could take as many apples as we wanted. 

The best place to scrump tasty apples in our pit village was the mine managers house with its massive garden and orchard. I often got caught by the local copper and was not too bothered about that but when he said "If I catch you again I'll be telling your grandad when I see him in the Black Bull tonight). That scared me, not enough to stop scrumping but to make doubly sure he didn't catch me again.

We devised a simple but excellent piece of kit for scrumping. Just a piece of dowling with a cup hook on the end, worked a treat. The Bitterlings (of glue fame) had some very fruitful trees in their garden. Surprisingly we never got caught.

When we were nippers, always on the scrounge, one of the favourite scrumping places was a posh garden on the Ropewalk, Nottm. It was a plum tree and they were succulent fruits ! Three of us went up there with our bags but, not paying attention, we got caught. The owner wanted to call the police but his wife said, "No, if they like picking fruit, make them pick the rest for us". Which we thought was a let off from the law. So we stuck in, climbing all over the tree and picked the ripe fruit. The owner was so impressed and pleased with us that he gave us half crown each. 

The only time I ever knew that crime did pay. That were back in 1955 ish.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My father was caught scrumping pears from the trees behind The Crown Inn in Beeston when he was a child. The landlady, Nellie Clark, was a hard number and said he could keep the pears but he'd have to earn them. He was made to clean out all the grates in the pub, lay materials for new fires, fetch the coal, blacklead the fireplaces and any number of other chores before finally being permitted to return home with the pears!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
On 2/18/2024 at 11:18 AM, Robert Baguley said:

My brother and I started a collection for her in the neighbourhood...

Your brother - would that be Trevor? Lived on Beech Avenue on the level bit? Born 1945/46? If so, I sat next to him in my early days at Plains Rd school.

Would love to know what he did as I'm sure the parents initially had him down on the list for a job at Buckingham Palace!

We now use an AirBnB opposite the bottom of Beech Avenue.  We'll be there again in August.

I remember coming home from Walter Halls to find that they'd tarmac'ed over the cobbles on Eaton Street....oh the joy as solid rubber tyres weren't much fun on the cobbles especially having to go to the dentist to replace ya fillings!

Got to mention us trolleys went faster too

• Upvote 1