Paradiddle

Top of Woodborough Road - Mapperley

Paradiddle    57

Rob, I think the picture would have been taken in the 60's when they started building on the land behind what was once Wardles's garage (i.e.before Wheelhouse had it).   We used to play football and go sledging in the fields which stretched downhill all the way to the railway line.  There was a small access path alongside the garage from Plains Road.

The following picture is a reminder of what Somersby Road used to look like, circa 1948.  There have been a lot of changes since then!

Somersby_Rd_A.jpg

• Like 6

philmayfield    933

My father had an allotment down there but it was nearer the bottom on the flatter bit and just before the model aircraft flying field which was very popular back in the 50’s. Just over the road on the opposite hill was a wartime pillbox in the middle of a field. There’s still another one where Bank Hill joins Plains Rd. I suppose that will be listed building now.

MargieH    3,921

I think I can remember the footpath which went from Plains Road down the hill over the fields.  Did it have a privet hedge on the right hand side for the first part?  I remember my brother and I once walked all the way  to Sandfield Road down this path then over the fields.  Last month when we were in Nottingham, we drove along Plains Road to see if I could spot where it used to be, but without success.... well, I am talking about 65 years ago!

Phil, I remember the pillbox - it always smelled of wee inside...

philmayfield    933
17 minutes ago, MargieH said:

I think I can remember the footpath which went from Plains Road down the hill over the fields.  Did it have a privet hedge on the right hand side for the first part?  I remember my brother and I once walked all the way  to Sandfield Road down this path then over the fields.  Last month when we were in Nottingham, we drove along Plains Road to see if I could spot where it used to be, but without success.... well, I am talking about 65 years ago!

Phil, I remember the pillbox - it always smelled of wee inside...

Sorry, that was me Margie!

denshaw    1,393

Freddie Mercurys sisters lives a couple of doors away from the Tree tops on Plains road.

Rob.L    673

Love that pic of Somersby. You can almost see where I live opposite the bottom of the road, although "it were only fields" (and a railway) in those days.

And cars were parked at that angle on the hill only the other day - when it was covered in snow!

PeverilPeril    1,318

Mrs PP lived in one of those houses on Somersby Rd. Now no 72. Don't know what it was then. Was always a job getting started up the hill when I had visited on my bike. We got married at St Marks - think it was then Rev Congdon.  Oddly enough I have been sorting out my mothers old papers and letters again today and found newspaper cuttings showing us as bride and groom - photographed courtesy WF Loasby (Rob L's dad).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

banjo48    909

Talking of the Sledging on Breckhill fields, my older brother carried a poor lad up to our house, that had hit a stump of a bush or tree half way down and was obviously in a bad way, mam rang for the ambulance and later we found out he had ruptured his spleen ! my brother probably saved his life.

Anyone remember the mushroom farm on Beech avenue, used to walk down the field to there and they'd pick the mushrooms fresh and weigh them for you. Think the owners were Polish but may be wrong.

There was another cottage abutting the right hand side (Beech ave on the North) edge of the field that I got to know the old lady, she grew heaps of cacti and she gave me some that she had cultivated, I used to tidy her garden for her and cut the hedge. I had an old ex army machete that was razor sharp and made short work of trimming hawthorn hedges. She often used to call me over while I was playing in the fields, think she was very lonely.

Someone mentioned horses in the field too, my dad got up one morning and there was a couple in our garden eating his prized veggies ! someone (me ) had left the gate open.

I also used to go and collect the manure from the field for dads garden.

Also rode my first motorbike around the field for a while, but soon got a few noise complaints so that had to stop, I was probably 14-15.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

MargieH    3,921

I know people need houses, and the houses that were built were nice, but  I feel sad that we can never walk over those  fields again...  or take my children and grandchildren to see them.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

philmayfield    933

If it was my cousin’s horse that ate your father’s vegetables I apologise on her behalf as she is no longer with us. The same horse was kept in a stable on Eaton St., facing the Methodist Church during the winter months. It was fed on rich diet of hay and pony nuts which gave it lots of energy to burn off. This was done on a Sunday when uncle, father and self hitched it to a two wheeled trap and took it to the end of The Plains. It took off at an amazing speed which my uncle was barely able to control. There was not much in the way of cars back in the 50’s so the horse had a clear run. It was extremely exhilarating!

• Like 3

IAN123.    350

Thomas Fish probably have finished, they worked on many projects... the Bowling Green on Queens Dr.

Top Valley Sec,School, Southwell Minister Grammar School, St.Ann's old peoples Home.

Our "10" year man at Standens learnt his chops at Thomas Fish.

Paradiddle    57

Ian, had a friend who learnt his trade at Thomas Fish, his name was Mike Jeffries.  It would have been late 60's I think.  Wasn't their 'yard' round about where the new Aldi is on Woodborough Road?

• Like 1

IAN123.    350

Paradiddle, do you remember mikes wife Elaine? He became a JP,also his Dad used to teach bricklaying at college.

Paradiddle    57

Ian, spent many a happy hour in the company of Mike in the 60's.  As part of a group that resided in Mapperley we were always in each others houses so I knew both his Mum and his Dad.  When out and about with him we were often halted by a wall and informed "that's Flemish Bond' you  know"!

Driving along Mapperley top a month or two ago I'm sure I spotted him outside the Co-op but I haven't had any contact with him for well over 35yrs.  As for Elaine, I have met her but it was a long while ago.

• Like 1

IAN123.    350

Once a week our class trekked up Woodborough  Rd. to use Elliot Durham swimming pool past some stables up to St.Jude's church and then a short way down Ransom Rd.

If my memory serves me was there a garage with a large Dragon/Griffin on the wall that sold early Datsuns? Near the Cambridge pub.

Anyroad after trying for me learners and paying 2p for a hairdryer, there was a oxo/Bovril vending machine,haven't seen one in yonks.

The swimming instructor had a son as a member on here... blowed if can remember his name... Chubby faced with a moustache... Think Peveril knew him to...from cycling?

And Elliot Durham's football pitch was crap...it was on a slant.... learnt banana shots long before Pele!

Paradiddle    57

Another good aerial photograph showing the extent of the housing (1948) with Somersby Road under development.  Note how wide and posh Melbury Road is and if you zoom in top centre-right you can see the coal wharf near the top of Gorse Hill!

Somersby_Rd_B-1.jpg

philmayfield    933

The open field directly facing was very popular with model aeroplane flyers. I remember an uncle having to retrieve one from the top of those flat roofed houses on the left. Another uncle, Bob Burton, was a coal merchant and he used to load his lorry at that coal wharf. I think the coal was hauled up the hill from the pit by a stationary engine which went back down the hill at the end of the day.

IAN123.    350

Any relation to Peter Burton, a respected carpenter?.. he lived in this locale.

IAN123.    350

Thanks Phil, he was an outspoken 'gent'...I helped him lay tongue & groove floorboards one time...leaving hammer marks in said timber..

" if I'd wanted half crowns,I'd ask for 'em", he said gazing at the circular dents.