Paradiddle

Top of Woodborough Road - Mapperley

18 hours ago, Brandon said:

Which raises the question, was Jessop the architect associated with Jessop & Sons, now John Lewis, or even Rhoda Jessop of Hollygirt School.

I don't think Bernard Jessop the architect was connected to Jessops the retailer .

Bernard Jessop architect was born Kimberley c1889 and was the son of Bernard Ross Jessop born Sheffield .

1901 Census they were living at Bank Cottage , Kimberley . 1911 Bernard Jessop was an apprentice architect in Dorchester Dorset .

Zebedee Jessop born c1828 , retailer,  was originally from Swineshead Lincs . 

Haven't checked on Rhoda Jessop !

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, Brandon said:

I remember being a little taken aback to hear that Dr Foy listened to Radio Luxembourg - I didn't expect frivolity from such a pillar of society, 

Dr Foy's daughter Vivienne was my Scottish Country Dance partner at ACHS.  I believe she also became a GP and married another ex ACHS Pupil.  A regular attender at the occasional mini-ACHS reunions.

Before the newer houses were built on Maltby Road, at the Somersby Road end, we used to dig build dens, build little fires in them and try and cook baked potatoes - with very little success I might add...   

When we got married 1965 we move into a flat  in Alexandra park replaclng a couple who then moved into a nice new house up the road on the old brickworks,we were invited there for tea.I remember saying to them I was a bit concerned about the garden situation or  lack of it  because of the mud on the slope,I was right heavy rain the next day and mud went in the front door and out the back,well i did warn them......

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

After celebrating the Queen's Coronation, June 2nd 1953, there was a fancy dress line up at Mapperley Plains School a day or two later.  We were all presented with a small bible to commemorate the event.

I can name a few:

2nd left - Ballerina Jean Lightbown I think.  They moved away before finishing school. 

4th left - Nurse 1 - Judith Severn, I day younger than me...

5th left - Nurse 2 - may be Janice North? 

8th left - Tahitian maid - Sasha(?) Osborne

9th left  - 'Little Boy Blue' - Green...

12th left - Cowboy - Pete Scales

Far right - Pirate - Alan Marks

153_0610_04.jpg

• Like 4

I remember this day at school. I hated being made to wear fancy dress. Mum had me go as a pirate. Sancha Osbourne was a year above me. She had a sister Yvonne and brother Clive. Parents owned two butchers shops in the city. They lived near by on Malmesbury  Road.

School organised some kind of country dance event. Other schools in the area attended.

Visited Nottingham some time ago with my kids. The school no longer there! Dewsbury's paper shop GONE. Delivered papers for them, morning & night. Shilling a round. Two shillings Sundays.

• Like 5

I was a cub when Barbara was the  Akela. (she left to marry / lived on Spring Lane) Meetings below the church down very steep steps. Games were 'British bulldog' and 'tracking' around the streets. Outing by train to Fiskerton by River Trent. Opposite the church was an off licence that sold BIG long ice lollies. I liked them when had money. Chips sometimes from Beardley's fish shop.

Goodness me, family attended same Dr Foy's surgery. The land on Maltby Road / Somersby Road we called 'The Banks.' Very steep hill with lots of trees and bushes. Climbed a tree there and got stuck. Same adventures digging dens in the ground, covering with old corrugated iron with grass sods on top. Dugout always filled with water when it rained.

On 3/12/2018 at 12:52 AM, Socram said:

110th Nottingham Mapperley Methodists, cub outing to Barrow on Soar 1955.  Happy for anyone to fill in any of the gaps - or correct any errors.

155_0700_02%20110th%20Named.jpg

You remember all the shops along Plains Road including Spencers Farm & Crossland's Fields.

The barber used hand clippers and always caught your hair. Ouch!

A private paying library.

The old Coop was opposite Pickering's Chemist shop.

Gedling Miner's football team played the Cambridge University in the FA Cup. They erected a stand specially for the sell out game. The miner's lost!

The High Road had a sort of character in these days. NOT now since last visit. 

Stephen S I only have a vague memory of this area you have rekindle them with your postings, thanks for that. Please keep posting that's what Nottstagia Forum is for.

On 5/24/2018 at 10:16 PM, MargieH said:

Brandon - Twigdons was definitely near to the top of Woodthorpe  Drive, not Westdale Lane.  

And my mum used to buy iced (bread) buns from Judges... I loved them.

Dr Foy was our doctor but I can only remember going to see him once - I must have been healthy!

Twigdons, although not the name of the people who owned the business sold newspapers and confectionery. There son attended Mapperley Plains School and was in the same class as me. One day he went to hospital and never came back to school.

Another icon gone.  Baileys, at the top of Bennett Rd now closed.  Sure, Mapperley Top isn't what it was, but happy to see a Costa's coffee shop and a fair few eateries, some quite classy.  

Nice to see new posts from Stephen S!   

Akela at the 110th cubs was Derek Ringer.  At 18, having just attained the dizzy heights of 'Queen's Scout', along with Andy Wood and John Williamson,  Derek Ringer approached me and suggested I might like to put something back in to Scouting and assist him with the cubs. I accepted.  A few weeks later, Derek moved on and left me as Akela.  Derek was an excellent role model, with a balanced mix of strong discipline, work and play, which I carried on for 3 years, when I moved away, returning 6 years later to take over again for a while. 

As always, getting adult help was a major problem and no idea when the group finally folded. Sad.  I probably gained far more out of scouts than ACHS and later, the first ever combined scout & guide group, under Don Varley and Phyl Ramsell.  Happy days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, Mapperley Top has some decent pubs / eateries / coffee shops etc. I particularly like the Bread & Bitter pub, or for something lighter, the Cheesecake Shop. Yummy. I could sit outside there with my dessert and cappuccino and watch the world go by all day long !

NZ along way from Mapperley. Flew to NZ once via LA. The worst jet lag ever. You loose a complete day. I didn't recover until I returned to UK and then it took 9 days. 

Not been here for a while, few health issues been keeping me busy but settled down a bit now, just caught up with this thread and a few memories came forth.

Dr Foy my family doctor when I was a child, also did a home birth when my wife had our son in 1968, midwife called him out as the baby was becoming stressed, no phone then so I remember running up to mapperley tops to use the payphone. We were staying at mums place as we only had a flat in Hyson Green and it was cold and damp whereas mum had the central heating.

Twigdons, used to deliver papers for them, opposite the war memeorial top Woodthorpe drive, Judges, my old mum used to clean the post office for Barry Judge.

Co-op on corner of Gretton road, used to run up gretton often to buy some cheese and best butter from there which was loose and had to be cheese wired cut and the butter was formed with a wooden paddle for dads packup.

Pickerings the chemist, used to buy all my ilicit chemicals from him to make my potions to blow things up !

He was a small dumpy man with thick frameless glasses and I seem to remember his daughter going to plains road school when I did.

Spencers farm, another name from school maybe Roland ?  Masseys farm on Spring lane, my first girlfriend Rosalind Massey their daughter, from plains road school.

Smiths jewelers, daughter Lucky also went to plains road school.

Williamsons joiners and builders, son Michael was a friend and went to school with him too.

That'll do for now becoming melancolic (is that a word) ;-))

• Like 4

Sorry you've had health issues, Banjo - hope they are resolved now.  

Dr Foy was my doctor, too, but I only remember going to see him once.  My dad got his cigarettes from Twigdons - actually it was my mum who got them for him!   I remember Pickerings - he tested me for my first aid badge for Guides..... I passed!  One of my favourite memories is going with my mum into Judges to buy an iced bun with a cherry on the top for me.

Thinking also of Remembrance Day at this time, I remember Mum taking me to the little service at the Memorial at the top of Woodthorpe Drive when I was about 8 or 9

Over 20 years later,  when we visited my parents on Woodthorpe Drive with our 3 children, they used to love walking up to the precinct to buy stuff from Fords.   Mum used to save a few pennies for them in little containers so they could have some money to spend when they visited.  One of our boys bought a little 'parachute man' from there - you threw him up in the air and the parachute (hopefully) opened and he floated to the ground again.  We played with it in Woodthorpe Park but he got stuck in a tree there.  We used to see him every time we visited but one day he'd gone. ....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:01 AM, Stephen S said:

NZ along way from Mapperley. Flew to NZ once via LA. The worst jet lag ever. You lose a complete day. I didn't recover until I returned to UK and then it took 9 days. 

Ah, but when you fly from NZ to LA, you arrive before you left...  Leave NZ 9:50pm after a full day in NZ and you arrive 3:30pm the same day.  Do the trip often enough and you do get used to it. 

I'm now trying to find a photograph of any of Roy's buses.  Many of us had the dubious pleasure of riding them from Mapperley to Bramcote Grammar & Bramcote Tech, 1957/58, when they used a Bedford single decker.  There was also a bus to Eastwood Park Tech and many of those passengers would have gone on to Arnold County High School.

The following year, they used rather ancient double deckers and many of us remember those all too well.  I'd really appreciate the photographs to illustrate a long term project.  Maybe Paradiddle has one?