• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found the below after searching, on KEY. AERO     and from Railsroadsrunways blog,  

Courtesy of Streetview.

As a special treat I went to the Burton Joyce chip shop yesterday. Two haddock and chips with mushy peas - all for £23.20!! The battered fish was indifferent, the chips (enough for 8 people!) were sog

Posted Images

The original Harry Ramsdens was on a roundabout of the A65 in Yeadon, between Leeds and Ilkley. We moved up to Yorkshire in 1972 and lived just a few miles from there, so a treat for Saturday lunch was something from the take-away side.

There was a restaurant which was all chandeliers and stained glass and to get in for a "sit down" meal there was always a queue of a good half hour. The queue at the take-away was usually about 10 minutes. In the car park was a kiddies fun fair and a slot machine arcade, and the car park had a separate area for all the coaches that called.

After the sell out to the nationals, the quality started to deteriorate, and the last time we visited was for a bag of F & C from the take-away about 4 years back after a day out in the Dales, and we could not believe the tatty state that the whole shop, restaurant and car park had sunk to, and just a week or so later it closed down.

The site was bought by a local Fish & Chip restaurant and restored to something near it's former glory, but we have yet to get out that way and sample the fare.

Going back fifty odd years now, but THE fish and chip shop oop norf was Harry Ramsden's at a roundabout at the top of the A1.

I am sure the original one was as I described. This was back in the early sixties - '62/'63.

Mind you when I lived briefly in 'Ull in '68, there was a F & C shop where the owner used to disappear every so often down to the fish docks and come back, walking, with a cod balanced across his shoulders. This was fresh fish.

Harry Ramsden opened his first chip shop in Guisely (not Yeadon, apologies) in 1928 and was just a small wooden hut, this was still retained on the site in later years as a "keepsake", and it was in 1988 after the business was purchased at that time by Merryweathers that the brand was opened up throughout the UK and abroad.

The original shop was then still kept open in its original state and was still well attended for some years to follow before the whole business was sold to Granada in 1999 which started its downfall.

The rise of the pub restaurant chains offering meals at more competitive prices, and the changing tastes of the public looking for more exotic offerings did not help, although I for one would take F & C at any time over any Asian cuisine.

Was Harry Ramsden's a chain of F&C's in the UK too? There was one set up in Victoria (East Burwood), but the food was expensive and crap.

Not only that, but you would choose something from the menu and the person taking the order would then tell you of the various choices of that selection, be it bread, beer, salad, coffee; whatever you ordered - the bloody twerp would say "we have six types of that, which type would you like". You had read that on the menu and bloody knew what you wanted but they must tell you because perhaps you could not read!

Went once and once only to the Burwood Harry Ramsden in a party of six for a business lunch shortly after it had opened - all parties with the same order...FISH and CHIPS. It took ages to place the order and in the meantime, we had beers...you guessed it - "what type of glass would you like that in; we have......." and "would you like to try instead an imported beer, we have.............."

After nearly one hour and without any food appearing on the table, listening to others around us complaining of the over service in ordering, the failure to produce the food within a reasonable time and then the food being lukewarm on delivery, the veiled threats of murder on our table if the question arose again of the types of glasses we would like our beer in, we got up, left sufficient money on the cashiers desk to cover the beers, told them what we thought of their establishment and walked out.

The place died very rapidly due to the service, poor food and unreasonable prices.

Baz, That's Bronte in Sydney.....I would have thought that you would have been there!

Wrong end of town for me Trev.We're out West.Ido have a few mates who live down that way though.

Lost the nice chip shop in Trinity Square left with the hideously expensive Moulin Rouge that thinks it's a upmarket Harry Ramsden's.

Fortunely living above the shopping centre I've got the chip shop just pass the bus station Mansfield Road and the one in the Lace Market.

If I'm feeling hale and hearty then I abuse my concessionary bus pass and go for a day out to Newark and the lovely chip shop on Appleton Gate.

• 1 year later...

I can see a cake shop in the background - it's not West Midlands is it? (snigger, snigger!)

It's a good job she's got a fag on; it will keep her weight down.

• 2 years later...

A nice memory of trips to the seaside in the late 1950s - early 60s was 'newspaper wrapped' fish & chips with loads of salt & vinegar from a place called the Linga Longa. I can't remember exactly where it was on the east coast, but does anyone know if the Linga Longa Chip Shop is still around? If not when did it close?

To me the best fish & chips in the world that I've ever tasted and nothing to match since.

Anyone else remember it?

Every year in September we have a two weeks caravan holiday in Winthorpe. We take our cycles and love every moment we are there. The Linga Longa was there last year, as we enjoyed fish and chips three times during our stay. Will be doing it again in September 2018. Can't wait.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, carni said:

Every year in September we have a two weeks caravan holiday in Winthorpe. We take our cycles and love every moment we are there. The Linga Longa was there last year, as we enjoyed fish and chips three times during our stay. Will be doing it again in September 2018. Can't wait.:biggrin:

You should have cycled down to Eptons instead !

Love Eptons as well, but our all time favourite is just off the main drag, discovered by chance one day, whilst cycling back to Winthorpe. It is well known among the local residents, but not obvious to holiday makers. Go right to the end of the North Prom and follow the road round the corner. It is on Sea view Road, titled ''Sea View Fisheries'. We have not had anything less than delicious yet. 

• Like 1

you're right there Phil. Our son and daughter have received some fantastic reviews on trip advisor but also some stupid remarks. My reaction would be to reply but as they say its only their opinion.

• Upvote 1

Just me I guess, but the chip shop looks like the one I remember across from the Ritz cinema in Carlton / Gedling.  Maybe Carnie and any other Gedling folks could confirm.  I realize it isn't Gedling but the similarities are striking.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Fish and Chip Shops