Smiffy49

Linga Longa Chip Shop

A nice memory of trips to the seaside in the late 1950s - early 60s was 'newspaper wrapped' fish & chips with loads of salt & vinegar from a place called the Linga Longa. I can't remember exactly where it was on the east coast, but does anyone know if the Linga Longa Chip Shop is still around? If not when did it close?

To me the best fish & chips in the world that I've ever tasted and nothing to match since.

Anyone else remember it?

Every year in September we have a two weeks caravan holiday in Winthorpe. We take our cycles and love every moment we are there. The Linga Longa was there last year, as we enjoyed fish and chips three times during our stay. Will be doing it again in September 2018. Can't wait.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Den, you beat me to it.... I was just going to say that.  Never been in it though

34 minutes ago, carni said:

Every year in September we have a two weeks caravan holiday in Winthorpe. We take our cycles and love every moment we are there. The Linga Longa was there last year, as we enjoyed fish and chips three times during our stay. Will be doing it again in September 2018. Can't wait.:biggrin:

You should have cycled down to Eptons instead !

Love Eptons as well, but our all time favourite is just off the main drag, discovered by chance one day, whilst cycling back to Winthorpe. It is well known among the local residents, but not obvious to holiday makers. Go right to the end of the North Prom and follow the road round the corner. It is on Sea view Road, titled ''Sea View Fisheries'. We have not had anything less than delicious yet. 

• Like 1

59% excellent, 7% terrible. It must be dreadful to be in the catering trade and to look at your reviews. Obviously you can’t please everybody and some reviews may be malicious from the competition but it does keep the caterers on their toes!

• Like 1

Looked for Sea View Fisheries on Google and their website said 4.3 /5... that sounds OK to me

• Like 1

you're right there Phil. Our son and daughter have received some fantastic reviews on trip advisor but also some stupid remarks. My reaction would be to reply but as they say its only their opinion.

• Upvote 1

Just me I guess, but the chip shop looks like the one I remember across from the Ritz cinema in Carlton / Gedling.  Maybe Carnie and any other Gedling folks could confirm.  I realize it isn't Gedling but the similarities are striking.

I can see what you mean LL. The picture of the 'Linga Longa' looks quite up to date though. The caravan site we stay at, is either Walshes or the Royal Oak, which is where we are booked for this year again. They are on tuther side of the main road. Though the pub had been demolished last year when we went. We were told it was to be rebuilt?

I remember the chippie near the Ritz very well. For some reason once or more a week, a group of us would dash all the way down there from school and congregate outside the shop with our chips and peas. I think we had an hour and a half for lunch so we made it back on time. The layout is very similar as you say to the 'Linga Longa, you can imagine the Ritz just out of view on the right, and the GAYE cafe on the other side of the road. You can imagine the 'In for a Penny' or 'The Royal Oak' as it was in the olden days, in the distance. But afraid it's the one at Winthorpe Miduck.

• Like 2

On different topics I have noticed people rate Eptons in Skeg, I found this link on Facebooks Nottingham Way Back When site, of the area in the 1900s, I believe Eptons is in the area. I tried to copy the photo but my skills are not good enough. Hope this works.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1057515951104763&set=gm.1137538016424741&type=3&eid=ARBHtrRg7icsMn5TLhi5yV03aZz1QxwI0VhfWiSWIK5ZwW6EX3y4Rlpe5wkCrdgk9esRe7HvU0nMedOg&ifg=1

Yes, Trogg.  The picture appeared 'as if by magic' as Mr Benn used to say (the children's programme, not the politician!).  

• Like 1

Not fish & chip fan, or they not fan of me, always go Tony's on the front facing clock tower. 

Looks like I'll have to use my imagination with this Facebook photo? 

D2qtfiZW0AIr2jM?format=jpg&name=medium

Epton's is the oldest chippy in Skeg, usually pay a visit when in the town !

YRL9xlgUBgFEp-yypQ9-5bG_TKE5IX_Iyt6zpJWn

3LiGjDHaWAftIW9geSzCc0oc6igUbBPfBltid-ln

• Like 2