14 minutes ago, NewBasfordlad said:

Peak Cavern is the one that I don't like and I used to be a caver.

But knowing that Neil Moss is still interred down there gives me the creeps, it always has.

I don't like Peak Cavern either (won't call it be it's popular name!) as you have to bend down quite a bit to get through at one point - that's the bit I have never liked.    CAVING!!   I can't think of anything I'd like less.  It makes me shudder just thinking about squeezing through narrow passages in the rock and worrying about flooding...

• Like 1

Scuba diving under ice is a bit scary, especially when you only have 15 bar of air left and can't find the hole in the ice that you entered through. That tends to get the heart beating a bit quicker, and that has the effect of breathing harder and using your air quicker!!

Scuba diving under ice has now become joint top - together with caving - of things I would never have done.

Don't  you have a rope to make sure you can follow it back to the hole in the ice?

I can think of a few Cruise's where the passengers would have been glad of some scuba diving experience!

NBL that would be a total nightmare - I suppose some people need to try and relive their birth or something?

Came back from South Africa on what was then called the Mail Ship Line on SA ORANGE left Cape Town with steamers and the band playing Old Langsign (not sure of spelling) just got to the Cape town rollers waves and had to dash to the loo's after 3 days went to see the doc on board, he gave me a jab never went to the loo's to huuie again. Went over to France on return boat could not dock due to nine force gale, tugs were sent out to help us into the harbour (this was after4 hours) I just managed to crawl off that boat.

Had not yet learnt my lesson went over to Aus and picked up the Celebrity left Aus New Years eve  to sail around New Zealand short time OK then off to see the doc again had another jab then enjoyed trip. Well worth going called at Milford Sound , Bay of Islands, Doubtful sound Dunedin and many more places, we met an American and his wife who went on a trip to see the Glow worms, when he return we ask if the worms really glowed, his comments Yes THEY GLOWED AND THE GLOWED AND THEY GLOWED. 

The following year we went back to New Zealand and hired a car we did  both North and South Island and yes the American was right the glow worms did really glow.  Still not keen on boats though.

• Like 2

It wasn’t a cruise as such but in 1963 I went on a school ski trip to Norway.  The first time I’d been abroad and very exciting.  We met at Victoria Station and travelled by train to Newcastle to board a Fred Olsen ship.  It was a 36 hour rough crossing and I think I was about the only person in our party who wasn’t ill.  Accommodation was cramped, in a shared cabin, my schoolfriend, me and an American young lady who mesmerised us when applying her makeup and using a contraption to curl her eyelashes.  We’d certainly never seen anything as dangerous looking as that before (we were only 13 at the time).  Off the boat in Oslo and onto a train to Lillehammer for 10 days skiing. Then back to Nottingham by train, boat and train.

I must have good sea legs as since then I’ve spent time on lots of boats of all sizes, I’ve never been sick!  

• Like 1

Back in the 70s we did a deployment exercise to Germany. Normally we would go aboard a civilian car ferry as a lot of these were leased from the M.O.D. and could be called into service if required.

Not this time some silly bugger managed to find a tank landing craft, flat bottomed with the slightest sea they roll all over the place, sea sickness is not something I suffer from but that was a close run thing.

• Upvote 1