We got a new car a month ago, it’s very nice too.

This morning my husband drove to the airport and handed the car over to a Meet and Greet parking company for them to look after for a few days while he’s away.  He was relaxing in the Airport Lounge when he got a phone call from the company that deals with the tracker that’s fitted to the car.  (Vodaphone I think it is).This person told him his car had moved.   What he’d done was handed just the key to the parking chap and he should have given him an electronic fob that he has to have with him whenever he’s in the car!  The fob was in his bag next to him in the airport.   He felt rather daft and explained that he’s new to this technology lark.  The person on the phone said they would monitor the car’s activity while he’s away.  You do hear stories of cars being used by parking companies while owners are overseas, this lot won’t have a hope in hell if they try that one!!

Why does it need to be so complicated though?  We’ve had trackers on previous cars but haven’t had extra gubbins to carry around.  It’s just something else to mislay as well.  

• Upvote 1

It's called progress Lizzie, although most folks aren't convinced. The more complex things are, the more that can go wrong !

Our neighbour has a VW van and a few weeks ago a youth walked up his drive, opened the vehicle with a duplicate key and ripped out a £700 Radio and took a pair of Raybans that were in the car.  The van was definitely locked.  No forced entry.  All caught on a video camera they have filming their driveway.   Same low-life was filmed stealing from another car somewhere else in Nottingham.  Our neighbour has informed the Police that he has the film, they’ve not even been to see him.  He’s established who this youth is but nothing been done.  He wants to take the law into his own hands and pay the youth a visit but his wife won’t let him, I think she’s very sensible too. 

The police are far too occupied with nondescript paperwork.

Mmmm, if the perpetrator is a Bulwellian, it'd be a waste of time and money, and probably a smack in the mouth into the bargain !

Maybe not the best idea !

13 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Our neighbour has a VW van and a few weeks ago a youth walked up his drive, opened the vehicle with a duplicate key and ripped out a £700 Radio and took a pair of Raybans that were in the car.  The van was definitely locked.  No forced entry.  All caught on a video camera they have filming their driveway.   Same low-life was filmed stealing from another car somewhere else in Nottingham.  Our neighbour has informed the Police that he has the film, they’ve not even been to see him.  He’s established who this youth is but nothing been done.  He wants to take the law into his own hands and pay the youth a visit but his wife won’t let him, I think she’s very sensible too. 

The police are only interested in so called "Hate Crime" these days.

• Like 1

Racist or homophobic comments/crimes and the old bill would be there with blues and twos blaring, proper crime you just get a crime number

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you're lucky Rog !

• Like 1

Likewise with sentencing Rog. The Cardiff chap who killed a guy when he mowed down attendees outside a mosque got 45 years.

Lee Rigby's killers, possibly half that, and will be mollycoddled as they are thought to be vulnerable ! 

• Like 2

Always worth checking facts first.

Adebolajo was given a whole life order excluding the possibility of parole, and Adebowale, the younger of the two, was given a minimum term of 45 years in prison.

I did say 'possibly ' Rob. 

I'm sure you are both right so I won't press the point.  I'm just very wary of what I post anywhere publically.  We seem to be living in a day when everything is back to front.  You know how it is.  If someone had caught the guy and given him a black eye, they'd be charged for assault.  Crazy!!

• Like 1

My neighbour put the CCTV video on Facebook, then his brother spotted one posted by someone else, same gaunt looking youth, same clothes, same rucksack on his back.   Neighbour’s incident was at 4 am, the other unlucky (BMW) owner was targeted at gone 6 in the morning, brazen!  It’s a wonder nobody on their way to work didn’t see it happening. 

2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

If someone had caught the guy and given him a black eye, they'd be charged for assault.  Crazy!!

Try this then, many years ago, at least 30, my dad got burgled and the scumbag fell through the glass coffee table, dad had to pay £125.00 compensation for his cut arm. Scumbag got some sort of "don't do it again" warning. Dad had all the crap to sort out, plus an increased insurance premium. That's what I call justice!!! Not.

my van was badly damaged when it was broken into, they were caught red handed about an hour later with lots of other stuff, and were found not guilty, its a joke, and so is vehicle security

Vehicles can easily be broken into now, despite "high security" devices and immobilisers, either by tools, lockpicks, or by force (some methods being unnoticable if you dont know where to look).

There is a group on facebook named van and tool theft awareness for those with vans.

The best security is home made and not mass produced, the old hidden switch trick is still one of the best.

Following on from my first post here about car trackers. This morning I had a missed phone call. I first check the number to make sure they weren’t phoning about PPI or problems with my computer or trying to get me to arrange installation of a smart meter.  Turned out it was Vodaphone car tracker so I called them back.  Was asked for the registration number and mother’s maiden name to make sure they were speaking to the right person. Then this young lady asked if everything was ok with the car (she gave the make of vehicle).  I told her that we’d sold that particular car a month ago and the reg number is on another car now.   Soooooo, we never thought about cancelling the tracking system on the old car!  Must do that ASAP but I was quite relieved that they weren’t about to inform me that our lovely new motor was heading up the motorway instead of being securely parked up at Gatwick!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2